Forums: Skydiving: Skydiving History & Trivia:
Old Canopies

DoubleDogDareMe  (D 32255)

Feb 13, 2012, 2:30 PM
Post #1 of 21 (1410 views)
Shortcut
Old Canopies Can't Post

Who here would know where I could find old canopies that were still in working order? i.e. the paradactyl, paracommander, ect...

jonstark  (D 8298)

Feb 13, 2012, 2:36 PM
Post #2 of 21 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoubleDogDareMe] Old Canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep an eye on e-bay. There are always old rigs and canopies there.

jon

pchapman  (D 1014)

Feb 13, 2012, 3:03 PM
Post #3 of 21 (1387 views)
Shortcut

Find and talk to old timers, see if someone has gear in their closet. That can be by word of mouth, just talking to older jumpers who might know someone who isn't jumping any more.
Talk to DZO's; long time ones may have stuff stored away.
Contact people on dz.com who have written about recently jumping vintage canopies; occasionally they might want to sell a less used item or have a line on something they don't need.
Very occasionally things come up in classifieds here, or on eBay -- although in the latter case people sometimes expect too much money.
As for Texas, Larry Fojt is someone who is known for doing vintage gear jumps and having multiple canopies. He's on facebook but haven't seen him on dz.com.

(I'm hanging onto my Paradactyl and my ParaCommanders!Smile)

Amazon  (D License)

Feb 13, 2012, 4:44 PM
Post #4 of 21 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pchapman] Old Canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Find and talk to old timers, see if someone has gear in their closet. That can be by word of mouth, just talking to older jumpers who might know someone who isn't jumping any more.
Contact people on dz.com who have written about recently jumping vintage canopies; occasionally they might want to sell a less used item or have a line on something they don't need.
Very occasionally things come up in classifieds here, or on eBay -- although in the latter case people sometimes expect too much money.
As for Texas, Larry Fojt is someone who is known for doing vintage gear jumps and having multiple canopies. He's on facebook but haven't seen him on dz.com.

I am SOOOOO going to dig out a bunch of stuff in the spring... time to move some of my collection of PC's old squares and old rigs... too much stuff... I might keep a Wonderhog with a 26' LoPo reserve and the Strato Star and probably my Papillion and the rig its in with the belly mount reserve for some future water jumps.. but I have WAY too much "stuff" and its time to sell it to someone who wants to jump it.

lodestar

Feb 13, 2012, 4:56 PM
Post #5 of 21 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amazon] Old Canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Amazon, just wanted to let you know.....it's so nice to hear those canopies mentioned now and again...having been around when they were the only thing available to jumpers and being a rigger I've worked on many of those rigs, mains and reserves...even had one of the first Pappillions in Zhills, got it for my GF back in the day....but it just brings back a bunch of memories of good times...
Thanks...
tuna

Premier likestojump  (D License)

Feb 13, 2012, 5:04 PM
Post #6 of 21 (1358 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Larry : http://www.dropzone.com/...cgi?username=oldman;

I would second talking to old timers at the DZ. Even if they don't have the older gear, they shoudl be a great hands on resource on packing and the ancient technique that people call "spotting". They may even let you know what a WDI is, and what to do with it :)

stratostar  (Student)

Feb 13, 2012, 5:22 PM
Post #7 of 21 (1347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [likestojump] Old Canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
what a WDI is,

There called students these dayz....stoooopid.Tongue

nitrochute  (D License)

Feb 13, 2012, 5:43 PM
Post #8 of 21 (1336 views)
Shortcut

i bought a crossbow main last year on ebay.

Amazon  (D License)

Feb 13, 2012, 6:15 PM
Post #9 of 21 (1324 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

I would not mind getting hold of another TerrorDactyl.. I put about 60 jumps on one back 30 sumpin years ago...Water jump.. yeah... but there aint no way in hell I am landing my big ole backside on Terra-Way-Too-Firma on one of those today. Hell, I used to pound in on that thing when I was a whole lot younger and a whole lot skinnier.. and in a whole lot better shapeSly

CliffDavis  (D 1594)

Feb 13, 2012, 7:19 PM
Post #10 of 21 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nitrochute] Old Canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

I sold a 1965 Crossbow on eBay a couple of years ago for $150.

Krip  (Student)

Feb 13, 2012, 8:21 PM
Post #11 of 21 (1297 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Who here would know where I could find old canopies that were still in working order? i.e. the paradactyl, paracommander, ect...

Lurk the "Blue skies in memory of forum" For the baby boomers that left for the big DZ in the sky.
FrownFrownFrownSly

R.I.P.

rwcat  (D License)

Feb 13, 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #12 of 21 (1279 views)
Shortcut

I've still got an old 5TU.

piisfish

Feb 14, 2012, 1:57 AM
Post #13 of 21 (1261 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I am SOOOOO going to dig out a bunch of stuff in the spring...
how YOU doin' ?? will be in Deland and Eloy during april just in case Angelic

drjump  (D 2785)

Feb 15, 2012, 6:56 AM
Post #14 of 21 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] Old Canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what we did in the "Old Days". Put out a S/L student on the first load of the day, see where he landed, and adjust the spot as needed.

Krip  (Student)

Feb 15, 2012, 9:19 AM
Post #15 of 21 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drjump] Old Canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
That's what we did in the "Old Days". Put out a S/L student on the first load of the day, see where he landed, and adjust the spot as needed.

AKA Wind dummyWink

wartload

Feb 15, 2012, 7:17 PM
Post #16 of 21 (1086 views)
Shortcut

That's "Scare-a-Dactyl" Cool

kd5xb  (Student)

Feb 17, 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #17 of 21 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wartload] Old Canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

I used to jump one when I weighed about 180 pounds. Landings were always "feet, ass", but the openings were what REALLY hurt!

Kinda wish I still had it, though. It was stolen in the early '80's and it's weird, but I wonder where it got off to, as if one of my kids had run away! Mad

(This post was edited by kd5xb on Feb 17, 2012, 12:38 PM)

oldwomanc6

Feb 17, 2012, 10:23 PM
Post #18 of 21 (985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kd5xb] Old Canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I used to jump one when I weighed about 180 pounds. Landings were always "feet, ass", but the openings were what REALLY hurt!

Kinda wish I still had it, though. It was stolen in the early '80's and it's weird, but I wonder where it got off to, as if one of my kids had run away! Mad

It's out there living a different life than you hoped for it.

Your expectations were unreasonable. I know you wanted it to go on and do amazing things. You expected too much from it and it broke, it couldn't handle it and fled. It loves you still, but can't reach out and tell you so. It feels like it disappointed you, after all it never could let you down easily.

I've done some research on it, and I found out it is working a minimum wage job as a car cover.

There is some "good" news, however, it found a girlfriend on the car next door. They are in love (they swear it's the real thing), but all that unsupervised time together has been a problem. They tried to resist, but eventually they were thrown on the floor at the same time.

Congratulations, Grandpa,

It's Pilot Chute!

airtwardo  (D License)

Feb 18, 2012, 12:21 AM
Post #19 of 21 (975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oldwomanc6] Old Canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

It's out there living a different life than you hoped for it.

Your expectations were unreasonable. I know you wanted it to go on and do amazing things. You expected too much from it and it broke, it couldn't handle it and fled. It loves you still, but can't reach out and tell you so. It feels like it disappointed you, after all it never could let you down easily.

I've done some research on it, and I found out it is working a minimum wage job as a car cover.

There is some "good" news, however, it found a girlfriend on the car next door. They are in love (they swear it's the real thing), but all that unsupervised time together has been a problem. They tried to resist, but eventually they were thrown on the floor at the same time.

It's Pilot Chute!

I'd be suspicious were I he...everyone knows before one can work as a car cover with any real proficiency...ya gotta get snipped!

kd5xb  (Student)

Feb 18, 2012, 4:24 AM
Post #20 of 21 (973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oldwomanc6] Old Canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
It's Pilot Chute!

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

oldwomanc6

Feb 18, 2012, 5:00 PM
Post #21 of 21 (916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] Old Canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Pilot Chute!

I'd be suspicious were I he...everyone knows before one can work as a car cover with any real proficiency...ya gotta get snipped!
Shocked LaughLaugh

Forums : Skydiving : Skydiving History & Trivia

Search for (options)