Forums: Skydiving: Skydiving History & Trivia:
1st jump freefall training near Cleveland 15 years ago?

sundevil777  (D License)

Feb 4, 2012, 10:05 AM
Post #1 of 7 (701 views)
Shortcut
1st jump freefall training near Cleveland 15 years ago? Can't Post

I met a guy that says about 15 years ago he did a first jump near Cleveland that had him doing real freefall on his first jump, with instructors following, but not holding on like normal AFF. I think he was lying, but wanted to see if there was anyone that knew of a bandit DZ that might have been doing this.

JohnRich  (D License)

Feb 4, 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #2 of 7 (661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sundevil777] 1st jump freefall training near Cleveland 15 years ago? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I met a guy that says about 15 years ago he did a first jump near Cleveland that had him doing real freefall on his first jump, with instructors following, but not holding on like normal AFF. I think he was lying, but wanted to see if there was anyone that knew of a bandit DZ that might have been doing this.

I don't know about Ohio, but Indiantown, Florida used to put 1st jump students out in freefall, by themselves. That was some 25 years ago. They had KAP-3 AAD's on the main, and SSE AAD's on the reserves. And it wasn't a bandit operation either, they had a waiver from USPA to do that. So, such things did happen, and it doesn't necessarily mean they were rogues.

lekstrom10k  (D 3001)

Feb 4, 2012, 6:55 PM
Post #3 of 7 (638 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] 1st jump freefall training near Cleveland 15 years ago? [In reply to] Can't Post

That would have been Poppenhagers place . If it was good for Paul its good for me

skypuppy  (D 347)

Feb 5, 2012, 9:06 PM
Post #4 of 7 (581 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] 1st jump freefall training near Cleveland 15 years ago? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard of such methods in the 60's and even the early 70's, but 25 years ago would be 1987 -- you sure it wasn't earlier than that?

JohnRich  (D License)

Feb 5, 2012, 9:35 PM
Post #5 of 7 (574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skypuppy] 1st jump freefall training near Cleveland 15 years ago? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I've heard of such methods in the 60's and even the early 70's, but 25 years ago would be 1987 -- you sure it wasn't earlier than that?

They were probably doing it earlier too. But I didn't start jumping at Indiantown until 1980, and it was still a practice at that time, and up until they closed down in the mid/late-1980's.

davelepka  (D 21448)

Feb 24, 2012, 6:20 AM
Post #6 of 7 (508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sundevil777] 1st jump freefall training near Cleveland 15 years ago? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd call bullshit. I was jumping around Cleveland 15 years ago, and this wasn't going on. Static line, AFF, tandem, all happening, solo freefalls for a first jump, not so much.

grimmie  (D 18890)

Feb 24, 2012, 3:37 PM
Post #7 of 7 (485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davelepka] 1st jump freefall training near Cleveland 15 years ago? [In reply to] Can't Post

My first jump was a static line, 1980' Cleveland SPC. No freefall there. But I'm not too sure, since my eyes were closed.Smile

Forums : Skydiving : Skydiving History & Trivia

Search for (options)