Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Photography and Video:
Gopro vs traditional video cameras

taylor.freefall  (A 52570)

Feb 3, 2012, 8:06 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1788 views)
Shortcut
Gopro vs traditional video cameras Can't Post

This post is purely out of my own interest - but I was wondering if anybody uses the traditional type (for want of a better word) cameras, now that the really small camera's are on the market, such as gopro etc.
This is not leading anywhere - it's just that I noticed a lot of older/traditional type video cameras/equipment for sale really cheap in classifieds?!
just to add - I don't want this to lead into a "jump numbers before using a camera" thread, because that's not what it's about.

diablopilot  (D License)

Feb 3, 2012, 8:16 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [taylor.freefall] Gopro vs traditional video cameras [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, because GoPro's just don't have the quality for tandem or other professional video yet.

danielcroft  (D 31103)

Feb 3, 2012, 8:44 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Gopro vs traditional video cameras [In reply to] Can't Post

GoPro just doesn't have the quality period. I use my CX150 when I actually want to get nice video. The GPHD (v1) has good HD video and the Hero2 has better video but doesn't match a real camera. Aside from that, I can get a hypeye and really good quality lens for me CX.

I'd wear the CX all the time if I could get it on my full face (and not be super sketchy doing it).

Feb 3, 2012, 9:35 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1722 views)
Shortcut
Re: [danielcroft] Gopro vs traditional video cameras [In reply to] Can't Post

aaaah... that's why. Thanks guy's I totally get it.
That's answered two questions in one!

jimmytavino  (A 3914)

Feb 4, 2012, 3:51 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [taylor.freefall] Gopro vs traditional video cameras [In reply to] Can't Post

a One WORD answer.....
to your questions about cameras for skydivingUnimpressed

SONY
Wink

jmy

dthames  (B 37674)

Feb 4, 2012, 6:49 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmytavino] Gopro vs traditional video cameras [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the higher end Sony CX and it is really great. Not used for skydiving but a really nice camera.

It has 12mega-pixel still capability. It has face recognition and while you are taking video, if it "sees" a smile on someone's face it will save a still image. It is amazing with is being marketed now.

Dan

Halfpastniner  (D 30747)

Feb 4, 2012, 6:25 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Go pro's offer good POV footage and creative angle options. But outside video still looks way better with a real camera, for many reasons. I like having both, best of both worlds!

Feb 4, 2012, 9:16 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dthames] Gopro vs traditional video cameras [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I have the higher end Sony CX and it is really great. Not used for skydiving but a really nice camera.

It has 12mega-pixel still capability. It has face recognition and while you are taking video, if it "sees" a smile on someone's face it will save a still image. It is amazing with is being marketed now.

Dan

That's my angle - I don't skydive anymore but I would like something to document the kids. The pov cameras now are so expensive it seems just as easy to buy a "proper" camera... especially second hand (cheap as chips).
With everyone using gopro's I can only presume it is purely because of size - which is cool, but size to me doesn't matter... hmm.... that......

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Photography and Video

Search for (options)