Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Additional reasons to not jump camera

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Jan 30, 2012, 9:24 AM
Post #1 of 101 (4295 views)
Shortcut
Additional reasons to not jump camera Can't Post

USPA has a recommendation that you should have 200 jumps before you jump with a camera, and that is an excellent recommendation. Skydivers MAY have enough experience at 200 jumps to do camera (although most do not) - but before 200 jumps it's pretty much a guaranteed bad idea.

There are some other indications that it's a bad idea to jump with a camera, and you may want to reconsider your decision to jump one:

1) You can't stand up all your landings but you have learned how to fall to protect the camera.

2) A lot of your videos from doing POV bigway video are of excellent funnels. You are positive you're not contributing to them but they always seem to happen near you.

3) You spend more time trying to figure out where to put your camera during the exit jamup than where to put your body.

4) You can't really remember the dive until you look at your own video.

5) You post stills from your video to Facebook before packing or debriefing.

6) While in the pattern you fly with your camera pointed at your friend's canopy.

If any of these happen to you, you may want to reconsider jumping with a camera - especially when you're not doing video, you're just a participant on the dive.

Abedy  (D 10153)

Jan 30, 2012, 9:52 AM
Post #2 of 101 (4237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] Additional reasons to not jump camera [In reply to] Can't Post

+1
Excellent!

Ummm...

In reply to:

The dive didn't happen before it was displayed on screen Tongue

dragon2  (D 101989)

Jan 30, 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #3 of 101 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Quote:

Hey, I take exception to that one! MadMadMad

Sly

mobbik

Jan 30, 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #4 of 101 (4132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dragon2] Additional reasons to not jump camera [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm so i shouldn't use my gopro on my aff level 1 in couple of months? :D

dragon2  (D 101989)

Jan 30, 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #5 of 101 (4119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mobbik] Additional reasons to not jump camera [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
hmmm so i shouldn't use my gopro on my aff level 1 in couple of months? :D

A bigger point is that you are waiting a couple months before going for your AFF.

WHY?

Tongue

Deisel  (D 31661)

Jan 30, 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #6 of 101 (4108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dragon2] Additional reasons to not jump camera [In reply to] Can't Post

Cause it's freakin cold in Canada right now.

airtwardo  (D License)

Jan 30, 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #7 of 101 (4100 views)
Shortcut

~You know HOW to download those stills to Facebook but not how to untangle your step-through! Sly

Jan 30, 2012, 12:56 PM
Post #8 of 101 (4096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] Additional reasons to not jump camera [In reply to] Can't Post

>You know HOW to download those stills to Facebook but not how to untangle your step-through!

Good example of learning things in the wrong order.

mobbik

Jan 30, 2012, 1:52 PM
Post #9 of 101 (4061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Deisel] Additional reasons to not jump camera [In reply to] Can't Post

and it will be freaking cold knowing my luck on my first jump... apr 7th :)

but i wont show you how good i am since i wont have a camera :P

(This post was edited by mobbik on Jan 30, 2012, 1:53 PM)

PiLFy  (A License)

Jan 30, 2012, 2:28 PM
Post #10 of 101 (4035 views)
Shortcut

Meh...Wear extra cloths & have at it. Winter jumping is FUN Cool.

skyjumpenfool  (Student)

Jan 30, 2012, 2:45 PM
Post #11 of 101 (4012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PiLFy] Additional reasons to not jump camera [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

+1 Smile

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jan 30, 2012, 3:06 PM
Post #12 of 101 (3980 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
USPA has a recommendation that you should have 200 jumps before you jump with a camera, and that is an excellent recommendation. Skydivers MAY have enough experience at 200 jumps to do camera (although most do not) - but before 200 jumps it's pretty much a guaranteed bad idea.

There are some other indications that it's a bad idea to jump with a camera, and you may want to reconsider your decision to jump one:

1) You can't stand up all your landings but you have learned how to fall to protect the camera.

2) A lot of your videos from doing POV bigway video are of excellent funnels. You are positive you're not contributing to them but they always seem to happen near you.

3) You spend more time trying to figure out where to put your camera during the exit jamup than where to put your body.

6) While in the pattern you fly with your camera pointed at your friend's canopy.

If any of these happen to you, you may want to reconsider jumping with a camera - especially when you're not doing video, you're just a participant on the dive.

Outstanding!Smile

VideoFly  (D 25621)

Jan 30, 2012, 5:29 PM
Post #13 of 101 (3874 views)
Shortcut

Quote:

6b) You and your fellow camera flyer spiral around each other at 300 feet in the landing pattern because you think it adds a cool shot to your tandem video.

SansSuit  (D 21554)

Jan 30, 2012, 6:14 PM
Post #14 of 101 (3838 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Or you can go the other route and wear less clothing. Wink

mobbik

Jan 30, 2012, 6:49 PM
Post #15 of 101 (3820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SansSuit] Additional reasons to not jump camera [In reply to] Can't Post

I think i like extra cloths in winter :)

as for the camers, when i started thinking about jumping i started to look at different camera mounts options etc... (i love photography and i make part of my living doing product shots)...but didnt even occurred to me how dangerous it can be to a newbie, and that it will take a lot of time and experience before one can strap gopro.

mobbik

Jan 30, 2012, 6:51 PM
Post #16 of 101 (3817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SansSuit] Additional reasons to not jump camera [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha Jeff, I thought you were joking...then i visited the SANS site.
the plane ride must be interesting ;)

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Jan 30, 2012, 11:46 PM
Post #17 of 101 (3681 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I think i like extra cloths in winter :)

as for the camers, when i started thinking about jumping i started to look at different camera mounts options etc... (i love photography and i make part of my living doing product shots)...but didnt even occurred to me how dangerous it can be to a newbie, and that it will take a lot of time and experience before one can strap gopro.

My hat is off to you. Thanks on behalf of yourself and others.
Smile

Dean358  (D 28881)

Jan 31, 2012, 9:35 AM
Post #18 of 101 (3549 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Wait! This happens to me now. Does that mean I should start jumping with a camera? Wink

skyjumpenfool  (Student)

Jan 31, 2012, 5:45 PM
Post #19 of 101 (3396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dean358] Additional reasons to not jump camera [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Wait! This happens to me now. Does that mean I should start jumping with a camera? Wink

Absolutely!! Please post your asome videos...
Cool

mpreil  (D 17822)

Jan 31, 2012, 8:47 PM
Post #20 of 101 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Great list, but you are fighting a losing battle against technology, stupidity, and the great world of social media.

20 years ago "jumping a camera" involved a helmet with 40 pounds of gear. We didn't need rules, only truly dedicated masochists got into camera work.

Then Handicams, 8 mm, miniDV, etc. and cameras are down to a pound or two. Today it's the GoPro. Fight it all you want, the next step will be a clip on device the size of a coin sending data wirelessly to a receiver in your pocket.

It's not 5-10 years away, it's possible now - there just isn't a big enough market yet. Wait for the next Facebook - "MeTube: All my life, on the Internet, all the time!" - and you won't be able to tell people they can't have their camera on all the time. How do you regulate that?

I think it is (sadly) unavoidable that focusing on the dive and ignoring the camera will move from common sense to BSRs to part of the FJC in the next few years. So maybe instead of telling newbies they're not allowed to jump cameras, we work on teaching them how to do it safely. That's how everything else in this sport has evolved. Remember "no square canopies with less than 200 jumps?

DaVinciflies

Feb 1, 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #21 of 101 (3291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mpreil] Additional reasons to not jump camera [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Great list, but you are fighting a losing battle against technology, stupidity, and the great world of social media.

20 years ago "jumping a camera" involved a helmet with 40 pounds of gear. We didn't need rules, only truly dedicated masochists got into camera work.

Then Handicams, 8 mm, miniDV, etc. and cameras are down to a pound or two. Today it's the GoPro. Fight it all you want, the next step will be a clip on device the size of a coin sending data wirelessly to a receiver in your pocket.

It's not 5-10 years away, it's possible now - there just isn't a big enough market yet. Wait for the next Facebook - "MeTube: All my life, on the Internet, all the time!" - and you won't be able to tell people they can't have their camera on all the time. How do you regulate that?

I think it is (sadly) unavoidable that focusing on the dive and ignoring the camera will move from common sense to BSRs to part of the FJC in the next few years. So maybe instead of telling newbies they're not allowed to jump cameras, we work on teaching them how to do it safely. That's how everything else in this sport has evolved. Remember "no square canopies with less than 200 jumps?

That's a fucking good post.

jono  (C 298258)

Feb 1, 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #22 of 101 (3278 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

It's not 5-10 years away, it's possible now.... /
In reply to:

Check it out> HD recording sunglasses. You can get goggles as well.
Attachments: Product2.jpg (12.9 KB)

sacex250

Feb 1, 2012, 8:47 AM
Post #23 of 101 (3204 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Holy crap! Somebody gets it!

PiLFy  (A License)

Feb 1, 2012, 1:39 PM
Post #24 of 101 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Hi,
I see your points, & your much higher experience in the sport. You're making the Sex Ed argument that kids have this neat new toy. They're going to play w/them...
BUT, they have to have at least tacit approval from the DZO to jump a camera @ <200 jumps. I jump at three different DZs. I'd be confronted by a S&TA very quickly at any of them if I tried jumping a camera. I remember another thread where a student was allowed to jump a GoPro w/the DZO's & his AFFI's blessings (?!) in Hollister. Isn't a DZ like that the rare exception? X number of fatalities in X number of years, & the FAA will shut them down. So, DZOs have a vested interest in not having some Newb bounce trying to get the shot.

Yes, things change w/the times. Changing to large square canopies was a safer way of doing things, though. The downsizing is the problem w/that. Big or small, Newbies jumping cameras is never safer. The means to control this behavior are readily available. "Follow the house rules, or jump somewhere else." Or, are there far too many Hollisters out there?

Feb 1, 2012, 1:57 PM
Post #25 of 101 (3134 views)
Shortcut

>So, DZOs have a vested interest in not having some Newb bounce trying to get the shot.

And more importantly, skydivers have a vested interest in not being killed by a newb trying to get the shot.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)