Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Got the old Sabre dialed in!!!

diver123  (A 25373)

Sep 14, 2001, 5:18 PM
Post #1 of 10 (901 views)
Shortcut
Got the old Sabre dialed in!!! Can't Post

Alright, this post is for all those Sabre owners out there who come home from the DZ each weekend with bruises... I've read, more times than I can count, about the infamous "Sabre" opening and fell victim to the same with my new rig! Well, I'm here to tell you that it can be fixed... After trying everything out there from; packing 'secrets' from the pros - to - body position I was just about to give up... Then I ran across an article from Gary ...(I forget his last name) about oversized sliders which got me thinking . So I went down to my local rigger and we talked it over for a bit. Solution : a pocket on my slider running across the nose of the slider and extending the entire length. Got her all stitched up and took out for a test run. Woo Hoo! Holy crap, a 1200' opening!!! (no joke) It had to be a dream I thought. So I packed her up again (this time I didn't touch the nose)... and once again, a sweet opening that came in just under a 1000'!!! I've toy'd with the position of the slider and nose just a bit, but this setup seemed to work consistently. I've put 5 jumps on it so far and every one is the same. Now, I'm not saying this is for everyone, but it's exactly what I was looking for. I'm sure you can play around a bit with the size of the pocket and such to fine tune it some more, but for me it's good. The only drawback to this whole thing is I have to start my deployment a bit higher now... Hope this helps...

"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

skydivemonkey  (B 102345)

Sep 15, 2001, 12:50 AM
Post #2 of 10 (875 views)
Shortcut
Re: Got the old Sabre dialed in!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm getting a sabare soon and the first thing I'm going to do is put a tandem slider on it !!

BPA - A102345
Gravity doesn't exisit - the Earth just sucks !!!

Merrick  (A 38462)

Sep 15, 2001, 8:59 AM
Post #3 of 10 (858 views)
Shortcut

Hey Randy... well, I think you know the particular sabre I'm talkiing about. Now, I don't know if it's the fact that it had several hundred jumps on it when I bought it from you or what, but I've always had sweet openings with it. I've even left the nose completely out & only rolled the tail.... in fact, the only hard opening I've ever had on it (& other Sabre's I've jumped) is the one time I was dumb enough to open in a partial track! LOL I'm sure this is because the canopy is a lot more "broke in," or more porous than a new one, but I haven't had any complaints yet. I've heard of people putting a pocket on the slider... in fact Kris used to jump a Sabre 210 that he had to psycho pack & had a pocket put on the slider to slow his openings. He was really happy with it, I'm glad you found a solution as well.

"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

geoff

Sep 15, 2001, 10:36 AM
Post #4 of 10 (851 views)
Shortcut

Good for you!

I continually despair of hearing people saying Sabres open fine if you just roll the nose, roll the tail, pull the slider out, use long line stow bites, avoid tube stoes, use an F111 PC, sacrifice a goat or whatever. A canopy should simply not be that fussy!

The only reliable solution is an oversize or pocket slider.

Geoff
(with a recurring neck problem caused by ..... guess what)

jfields  (C 33595)

Sep 15, 2001, 7:46 PM
Post #5 of 10 (830 views)
Shortcut

Maybe I'm just overdue for a smacking, but mine opens fine and I don't do anything weird at all to it. No extra rolling, special slider or whatever.

Justin
My Homepage

Aviatrr  (D 27349)

Sep 15, 2001, 8:32 PM
Post #6 of 10 (824 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Maybe I'm just overdue for a smacking, but mine opens fine and I don't do anything weird at all to it. No extra rolling, special slider or whatever.
Your canopy may have the large slider on it.. I have experienced the 'Sabre Spank' on a 150, and have the X-rays to prove it..

Mike

FallinWoman  (C 32269)

Sep 15, 2001, 9:38 PM
Post #7 of 10 (820 views)
Shortcut

Justin, I'm with you... only one slam so far (knock on wood)

That one was after I had some trouble packing it ( after I folded it it kept sliding and scooting away from me as I tried to get it in the bag.) I should have stopped and refolded it, but I was too lazy and paid the price!!!

I have a ZP normal size slider, roll the nose, flat pack.
It opens pretty every time....(except that one)

jfields  (C 33595)

Sep 17, 2001, 5:03 AM
Post #8 of 10 (779 views)
Shortcut

Aviatrr & FallinWoman,

As far as I can tell, my Sabre has a normally sized slider, although I haven't measured it. Mine is a Sabre 190. While I can't verify it, I've heard that the rough openings occur much more often on the smaller sizes than on the larger ones like mine.

My canopy gets pro-packed. The worst packing-related event I've had was some serious line twists, but that was my fault. I inadvertently twisted stuff as I was getting it into the bag.

I'm still a total novice at packing, but I'll get it eventually.

Justin
My Homepage

diver123  (A 25373)

Sep 20, 2001, 8:56 PM
Post #9 of 10 (740 views)
Shortcut

It's good to hear that there are a couple decent sabres out there without performing the special feats some of us have to to avoid bruises and such. Merrick... Yeah, I never had but one or two rough ones on that canopy either, but it was also 600 jumps into it's life and a little larger in size... In any case, I'm glad that it isn't abusing you...I'd feel partially responsible :)
As for me, I must have baught the evil step brother canopy cause it sure did beat me like a bit_h!

Just be ready for a long snivel with that tandem slider... Mine are consistently at just under a grand..., but could be much longer if I simply go back to rolling the nose a bit and the tail... :) It's almost a peacful fealing to look up at four seperate line groups and a fully inflated slider and still be near terminal!!!

"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

skyhawk

Sep 23, 2001, 6:55 AM
Post #10 of 10 (712 views)
Shortcut

mine has always opened fine (150)

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)