Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
"Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

ntrprnr  (B 28397)

Jan 16, 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #1 of 175 (6904 views)
Shortcut
"Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" Can't Post

Someone actually posted that on Facebook this morning. I'm waiting to hear back to find out where he jumped, and what idiot instructor would let someone on their FIRST SOLO use a camera.

Are we just getting stupider as a sport, or am I overreacting?

taylor.freefall  (A 52570)

Jan 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #2 of 175 (6816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ntrprnr] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Someone actually posted that on Facebook this morning. I'm waiting to hear back to find out where he jumped, and what idiot instructor would let someone on their FIRST SOLO use a camera.

I saw a similar thing on youtube over the weekend only it was jumping camera on his "6th solo". Thought the same thing.
I guess some DZ's don't mind, or don't check?
Here's the link - says total jumps "16 so far". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcHICAzzY_s

(This post was edited by taylor.freefall on Jan 16, 2012, 11:25 AM)

Namowal  (A 63059)

Jan 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #3 of 175 (6734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ntrprnr] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Well, if he (or she) keeps it up we might end up with some "why jumping with a camera so early is, in fact, a bad idea" footage...Unsure

PiLFy  (A License)

Jan 16, 2012, 1:58 PM
Post #4 of 175 (6631 views)
Shortcut

Does anyone recognize the DZ? Who lets a student jump w/a camera?! DSE has a nice long list of incidents/reasons why low time jumpers shouldn't put a camera on. That kid is prime to join the list, posthumously...

wildWilly  (B License)

Jan 16, 2012, 2:07 PM
Post #5 of 175 (6618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PiLFy] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the video it's Skydive Hollister.

taylor.freefall  (A 52570)

Jan 16, 2012, 2:25 PM
Post #6 of 175 (6588 views)
Shortcut

- Just wanted to add - I don't want to flame this guy if he isn't aware of the dangers of using a camera so early in his jumping career - I'm not saying ignorance is a defense but maybe his instructors/DZ could point him in the right direction.

JerseyShawn  (Student)

Jan 16, 2012, 2:55 PM
Post #7 of 175 (6541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [taylor.freefall] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a similar thing on youtube over the weekend only it was jumping camera on his "6th solo". Thought the same thing.
Here's the link - says total jumps "16 so far". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcHICAzzY_s
Guy/gal can't even keep their heading upon deploying. Unsure

(This post was edited by JerseyShawn on Jan 16, 2012, 3:04 PM)

PiLFy  (A License)

Jan 16, 2012, 3:10 PM
Post #8 of 175 (6518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wildWilly] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

An USPA member DZ that allows students to jump wearing a camera???

format  (B 15348)

Jan 16, 2012, 3:46 PM
Post #9 of 175 (6482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PiLFy] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

No way, I do not believe it.
Not even for non-USPA DZ

Premier DSE  (D 29060)
Jan 16, 2012, 4:05 PM
Post #10 of 175 (6454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [format] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

No way, I do not believe it.
Not even for non-USPA DZ

You'd be wrong. I've collected two videos from Cat C jumps, where the student was WEARING the camera on the jump.
It is being done in some places. Stupid, but it's not a USPA requirement to not wear a camera. No rules are being broken, just a lack of sensibility

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Jan 16, 2012, 4:10 PM
Post #11 of 175 (6442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [taylor.freefall] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The plane in that video is the same PAC (N750SN) that is shown on the Skydive Hollister website. Looks like a pattern of noobs with cameras.

Zymurdoo  (D 16833)

Jan 16, 2012, 4:11 PM
Post #12 of 175 (6438 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

http://www.youtube.com/...in_order&list=UL

Check out the next one on his video list...

Looks to me like an AFF dive with a freaking costume on. WTF?

FallloutboyDAoC  (A 55768)

Jan 16, 2012, 4:44 PM
Post #13 of 175 (6401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zymurdoo] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

It's his 16th jump, 7th solo.

Wouldn't this guy only be able to jump with coaches? Is Hollister a USPA dropzone? It'd be pretty fucked up for a coach to agree to filming shit like that.

(This post was edited by FallloutboyDAoC on Jan 16, 2012, 4:54 PM)

monkycndo  (D License)

Jan 16, 2012, 5:11 PM
Post #14 of 175 (6365 views)
Shortcut
"Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Not surprised if it is Hollister.

Just one more reason to add to my list of many reasons why I will not jump there with the current management that is in charge.

Sad, because it was my home DZ and where I started.Frown

JohnnyMarko

Jan 16, 2012, 5:14 PM
Post #15 of 175 (6358 views)
Shortcut

Video's been removed....He seems really cool, I bet his dick is HUGE!!!

catfishhunter  (D 28796)

Jan 16, 2012, 5:14 PM
Post #16 of 175 (6357 views)
Shortcut

Next time your on a load ask the GoPro sitting next to you how many jumps he has. Bet it's under 100 more then half the time. I don't think any dz gives a flying fuck about GoPro's. Funny though how much time the noobs put into uploading their video of their hands and arms flailing around with an occasional other persons foot but they always get a good look at their canopy opening instead of fucking watching for canopies. I swear they are hoping for a malfunction so they can have a cool video. One day they are gonna have a collision and miss the whole thing because they where staring at their canopy Crazy

diablopilot  (D License)

Jan 16, 2012, 6:10 PM
Post #17 of 175 (6306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [catfishhunter] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Next time your on a load ask the GoPro sitting next to you how many jumps he has. Bet it's under 100 more then half the time. I don't think any dz gives a flying fuck about GoPro's.

You're be wrong about that. Skydive Spaceland has a 200 jump minimum to fly ANY camera.

Scrumpot  (D License)

Jan 16, 2012, 6:19 PM
Post #18 of 175 (6297 views)
Shortcut

Obviously has mad skillz. C'mon guys, I mean really... aint NOTHIN' to this shit, after all!! Everybody's got to learn to be not so freakin' uptight!! Go, suoer-dude... go!!!

Crazy

jshiloh

Jan 16, 2012, 7:09 PM
Post #19 of 175 (6257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

The plane in that video is the same PAC (N750SN) that is shown on the Skydive Hollister website. Looks like a pattern of noobs with cameras.

Considering Hollister had a fatality 6-7 months ago that involved a camera flyer who didn't have anywhere near the requisite jumps, you'd think they'd be a little less care-free about this kind of shit. But I can't really say I'm surprised. Crazy

JohnRich  (D License)

Jan 16, 2012, 7:46 PM
Post #20 of 175 (6238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [catfishhunter] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
they always get a good look at their canopy opening instead of fucking watching for canopies. I swear they are hoping for a malfunction so they can have a cool video. One day they are gonna have a collision and miss the whole thing because they were staring at their canopy Crazy

Yep, the camera flyers don't like to look around because that makes for jerky video, and no one wants to watch jerky video. So the more people we have in the air with cameras, the fewer people there are actually looking around to avoid in-air collisions. Some day soon, there will be entire loads of camera people flying around not paying attention to each other, and then there will be a terrific collision as a consequence of that lack of awareness, with resulting injuries and death.

But it will sure make for some cool video! I can't wait!

(This post was edited by JohnRich on Jan 16, 2012, 7:48 PM)

JerseyShawn  (Student)

Jan 16, 2012, 9:12 PM
Post #21 of 175 (6159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zymurdoo] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/...in_order&list=UL

Check out the next one on his video list...

Looks to me like an AFF dive with a freaking costume on. WTF?
At least his red cutaway matches his red suit.

Squeak  (E 1313)

Jan 16, 2012, 9:48 PM
Post #22 of 175 (6137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnnyMarko] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Video's been removed....He seems really cool, I bet his dick is HUGE!!!
PervertSlySlySlySly

it's been there for over a year and only just now removed, so which one of you posters is it then???

Care to talk us though, the how and whys of wearing a camera with so little experience?

JohnnyMarko

Jan 16, 2012, 11:12 PM
Post #23 of 175 (6111 views)
Shortcut

If I was him, I don't know if I'd be more embarrased by the skydiving videos or the other videos he has posted....my godLaughUnsure

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Jan 17, 2012, 2:47 AM
Post #24 of 175 (6041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jshiloh] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Considering Hollister had a fatality 6-7 months ago that involved a camera flyer who didn't have anywhere near the requisite jumps, you'd think they'd be a little less care-free about this kind of shit. But I can't really say I'm surprised. Crazy

Ouch.

Skyper

Jan 17, 2012, 3:41 AM
Post #25 of 175 (6022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] "Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Yep, the camera flyers don't like to look around because that makes for jerky video, and no one wants to watch jerky video. So the more people we have in the air with cameras, the fewer people there are actually looking around to avoid in-air collisions. Some day soon, there will be entire loads of camera people flying around not paying attention to each other, and then there will be a terrific collision as a consequence of that lack of awareness, with resulting injuries and death.

But it will sure make for some cool video! I can't wait!

have you seen the video of the last incident on Hollister involving the low timer with a cam?

if (or rather - when) this accident happens again you won't be able to see the video - cause they'll start complaining about their privacy, legal issues, family concerns, copyright etc...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)