Forums: Archive: 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections:
Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Para5-0  (D 19054)

Sep 21, 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #1 of 45 (3583 views)
Shortcut
Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. Can't Post

Hello,

I wanted to get a feel about an upcoming project, I am excited about. In the effort to meet members and get a good turnout at the next BOD meeting we are planning on jumping at Skydive San Diego on wed Feb 15th and 16th, 2012. or possibly another local DZ on the 16th.

USPA Staff and all BOD members are invited and encouraged to attend. We will be jumping both days and hopefully hanging with members and listening to concerns prior to the meeting. This is your chance to meet face to face with those you elected to represent you, not to mention those that are working hard behind the scenes keeping USPA running strong.

I think it could be a great event and if all goes well maybe we can get a big way in there. I am open to suggestions positive and constructive, to ensure this is a success.

I personally look forward to getting out there in the air with members from the west coast. If you have a real negative outlook on this pm me or contact me personally.

Keep an eye out for future advertisments in Parachutist and social media outlets, but in the meantime let us know what you think.

Blue sky's,
Rich Winstock

http://www.richwinstock.com

stratostar  (Student)

Sep 21, 2011, 8:40 PM
Post #2 of 45 (3497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Para5-0] Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Rich,

Maybe I missed it, but is this is your idea? Or are you just working on it?

Regardless, I think this is a great idea, I think USPA has to a great deal of an image problem with membership and the BOD in the past as not really member interaction friendly. This is a good thing and should happen more if possible.

Thanks for your efforts on behalf of members.

(This post was edited by stratostar on Sep 21, 2011, 8:41 PM)

Premier DSE  (D 29060)
Sep 22, 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #3 of 45 (3432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Para5-0] Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

looking forward to it, Rich. See you there! GREAT idea, IMO.
Elsinore is just a short hop from Skydive San Diego, if you want to find another "close" DZ.
I could put most of the BOD in wingsuits, too.Tongue

Para5-0  (D 19054)

Sep 23, 2011, 4:59 AM
Post #4 of 45 (3421 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks DSE,

The problem I think is the general membership seems to have lost faith and contact with USPA. As you guys can see by the overwhelming response this thread got. It seems nobody or very few give a dam about the direction we are heading. But on the other hand those people will be the first to yell and scream when they dont like a change.

Last meeting had one person in the gallery, very sad in a 32,000 member organization. These things should be packed and further we should be getting feedback from the members constantly. This will keep the BOD in check and let them know they are heading in the direction that the members want to head. We will never satisfy everyone, God only knows but what the heck are we doing?

I know there is a disconnect between the skydivers who are out there and the BOD. Why not try to bridge that gap and meet in a common place of interest? anyhow, I will continue to spread the word in the hopes people show up.

See you guys there.
Rich

Premier DSE  (D 29060)
Sep 23, 2011, 8:44 AM
Post #5 of 45 (3403 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Thanks DSE,

The problem I think is the general membership seems to have lost faith and contact with USPA. As you guys can see by the overwhelming response this thread got. It seems nobody or very few give a dam about the direction we are heading. But on the other hand those people will be the first to yell and scream when they dont like a change.

Last meeting had one person in the gallery, very sad in a 32,000 member organization. These things should be packed and further we should be getting feedback from the members constantly. This will keep the BOD in check and let them know they are heading in the direction that the members want to head. We will never satisfy everyone, God only knows but what the heck are we doing?

I know there is a disconnect between the skydivers who are out there and the BOD. Why not try to bridge that gap and meet in a common place of interest? anyhow, I will continue to spread the word in the hopes people show up.

See you guys there.
Rich
I suspect that some of what you're feeling stems from your enthusiasm as a new BOD member.
Yeah, membership seems apathetic until they don't want to be.
I'm usually one of the few in the gallery, but this one was too far at the wrong time of year for me. But that doesn't mean I care. Winter meetings are generally better attended, from my own experiences...

Flip side...take my own RD. He hasn't once stepped foot on my home DZ, he and his predecessor took FOREVER to process anything, and he had no need to be in touch with the people in his area, because of his job.
Also, many of the BOD no longer jump, furthering that lack of connection.
Some of the BOD are just plain "old school" and don't see what's happening out there.

That said, if the BOD is out of touch, it's as much membership fault as BOD fault. I do see Jan Meyer and Scott Smith on a very regular basis (away from their home DZ), but never once have seen my RD anywhere except board meetings.

Hopefully, seeing some of the BOD folks jumping at a DZ will help them see the world outside their own DZ...and put them in touch with jumpers-at-large.

stratostar  (Student)

Sep 23, 2011, 9:06 AM
Post #6 of 45 (3402 views)
Shortcut

Your are trying to undo years of damage by the "lifers" of years past who clearly played politics and favors.... This why there is a disconnect from the avg. Joe & Jane jumper.

I think it's about time someone has turned on to this road and rolled down the damn windows to let a little fresh air in,. however like DSE said, a lot of people could care less until your going to do something they may not like, hardly anyone would vote.... yea for online voting!

These changes are good and step in the right direction, used to have the meetings @ nationals in Muskogee if I recall, not sure why meetings stopped being held in places there are large groups of skydivers hanging out.... and skydivers.... really you think most are going to shell out of pocket to fly some place to watch you stuffy shirts go Blah blah blah, closed session everyone out and the only jumping going on is at the bar when they bring the tab.... everyone jumps up to split!Tongue

Wink

Deisel  (D 31661)

Sep 23, 2011, 12:03 PM
Post #7 of 45 (3389 views)
Shortcut

Great idea! I'd love to attend a BOD meeting. But I'm not about to take time off from work and pay expenses to do it. Hold them at the big events and people will attend.

D

iowa  (D 16855)

Sep 23, 2011, 4:39 PM
Post #8 of 45 (3373 views)
Shortcut

''But that doesn't mean I care.'' That was funney DSE. I'm sure it was a typo, still funny.

The central RD, Gary Peek, didn't used to come around much, but the last few years he's been doing a good job of visiting dz's in his region. He has also been easily available for any member to contact. That is how it should be.

I like the idea of meet and greet and jump with the BOD. I would like to see the meetings move around more than just east and west. Somewhere in different parts of the country every meeting.

SStewart  (D 10405)

Sep 23, 2011, 8:51 PM
Post #9 of 45 (3359 views)
Shortcut

I think it is a great idea Rich. A few years back when I was on the board I suggested the same thing and got no takers.

Here's a sample of the response I got;

* it won't work from a logistics stand point. you show up the day of the meeting and leave when it is over. USPA won't pay for it so it is a day out of your schedule (at least) and the bod foots the bill.

*Which dz do we pick? the one that gets it will get unfair publicity and the ones that don't will feel left out. Promoting one dz over another will create bad blood, etc. ( why didn't they come to MY dz?)

* I envisioned a big way with all the bod but some didn't jump at all and some not too current, so the ones that showed up would be the cool kids and the ones who opted out would be seen as uncaring.

* and then of course some would say why are they skydiving and hanging out at the dz when they should be conducting business. Are we paying for this?

I still think this is a great idea and I hope you get it done but you have been on the board long enough to know that 5% of the membership will support it, 5% will be against it, and 90% won't give a shit at all.

Para5-0  (D 19054)

Sep 23, 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #10 of 45 (3351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it helps, we will be in Minneapolis for the meeting after SD. We tried to move it around a bit. St Louis was a very close second in the voting process. I know this sounds horrible but I tried to get it in the Newark area to attract Ranch, Skys the Limit, Sussex, Long Island, Cross Keys, CPI, Keystone, It seemed to me it was central enough to get a great turnout. Well lets just say I was the only vote. lol anyhow I tried.

BIGUN  (D 23385)

Sep 24, 2011, 7:33 PM
Post #11 of 45 (3309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
have the meetings @ nationals in Muskogee if I recall, not sure why meetings stopped being held in places there are large groups of skydivers hanging out.

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

Krip  (Student)

Sep 24, 2011, 9:54 PM
Post #12 of 45 (3300 views)
Shortcut

Hi DSE & Rich

Your RD doesn't travel to other DZ'sin their region?Shocked

Might be a west coast thing. The RD of the PNW used to be the same way. Don't have a clue if it's changed since the RD hasn't.

IMO If USPA wants to get the individual jumpers interested in USPA that they need to make a clean break from the GMDZ concept.

Witout that disconnect USPA will continue as is, a trade group . As long as the DZO trade group stands united, USPA membership will continue not by choice but because they have to in spite of questionable benifits.

There's been some discussion about finding a solution to some significant problems, Canopy collisions and cheating on log books to beat the minimum jump requirements. for canopy size, swooping, and WS.

Some groups think its a USPA problem some others thinkits a DZO problem. Crazy

Folks wake up !!! USPA and the DZO's are one and the sameUnimpressed

If USPA, and the BOD want to do a meet and greet they could do that by visiting the DZ's in their region rather than have a meeting on the east coast or west coast and expect the USPA general membership to travel long distances at their own expense to attend what? A trade group. ?

FWIW I'm no longer jumping and not a USPA member.

R

AggieDave  (D License)

Sep 25, 2011, 3:40 PM
Post #13 of 45 (3252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BIGUN] Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:
have the meetings @ nationals in Muskogee if I recall, not sure why meetings stopped being held in places there are large groups of skydivers hanging out.

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

You would have to put nationals back together at a single DZ. Allowing DZs to opt out of a single event shouldn't be allowed. Either have them all at one DZ or split them all up.

skywombat  (D 31874)

Sep 29, 2011, 1:25 AM
Post #14 of 45 (3107 views)
Shortcut

Sounds doable, though is there a particular reason for choosing to have it in the middle of the week? A bunch of jumpers (myself included) would likely have time conflicts with work, though I guess the DZ wouldn't be as busy at this time.

Para5-0  (D 19054)

Sep 29, 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #15 of 45 (3073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skywombat] Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

The USPA winter Board meeting is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday so no directors or staff will be available. We were trying to coincide it with the meeting.

Para5-0  (D 19054)

Dec 23, 2011, 7:12 PM
Post #16 of 45 (2848 views)
Shortcut

Looks like we will be jumping all day Thursday at San Diego. Some others may be jumping Wed at Perris and Elsinore. We are still working on a definitive plan.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)
Dec 24, 2011, 2:11 PM
Post #17 of 45 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Free FFC's at Skydive Elsinore for any BOD member that wants wingsuit training, Even if someone doesn't want to jump, we'd be thrilled to teach them. We have suits to fit everyone/any size.

mkb0909  (D 31965)

Dec 29, 2011, 11:04 AM
Post #18 of 45 (2688 views)
Shortcut

Will the BOD and all participating USPA paid employees be paying for all of their own jumps?

SkydiveJack  (D 6486)

Dec 29, 2011, 4:05 PM
Post #19 of 45 (2670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mkb0909] Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Will the BOD and all participating USPA paid employees be paying for all of their own jumps?

Of course they wont be paying for their jumps!

Once you get on the BOD or get hired by USPA HQ, everything in skydiving is free. In fact DZ's actually pay USPA Staff and BOD members to jump at their DZ. Of course this is only required at USPA Group Member DZ's. And with the close working relationship between USPA and PIA, all BOD members get a new set of gear every year. Since the HQ Staff get regular pay checks, they only get 50% off their gear.

Any more misguided, misleading, misinformed questions I can answer for you?

Wink

airtwardo  (D License)

Dec 29, 2011, 5:00 PM
Post #20 of 45 (2657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkydiveJack] Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Once you get on the BOD or get hired by USPA HQ, everything in skydiving is free. In fact DZ's actually pay USPA Staff and BOD members to jump at their DZ. Of course this is only required at USPA Group Member DZ's. And with the close working relationship between USPA and PIA, all BOD members get a new set of gear every year. Since the HQ Staff get regular pay checks, they only get 50% off their gear.

Wink

Yeah....Angelic

Just how DOES one go about getting one of those HQ "STAFF" jobs?!?

Do ya actually have to have qualifications & stuff, like on a resume for a 'real' job...??
Laugh

Or does 'ON STAFF' refer to a sexual position one is willing to trade for said 'regular paycheck'...?
LaughLaugh

Is having Experience in the Field taken literally or figuratively when applying...??
LaughLaughLaugh

Is it REALLY possible to get 'bonuses' for JUST doing the job you were hired for in the first place??
LaughLaughLaughLaugh

Sounds like a cool Set Up...UNLESS of course you're the one PAYING the $alary.
Unsure

Para5-0  (D 19054)

Dec 29, 2011, 5:05 PM
Post #21 of 45 (2657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkydiveJack] Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Wink

I guess I didnt get the memo: I am paying for hotels, transportation, jumps, food, drink...etc to jump at Skydive San Diego. I never asked for anything free or expect it.

USPA pays for a hotel friday and Sat night for the meeting and airfare to get there. If that seems inappropriate or too much, I dont think you will get that many applying for the position.

Not sure why the assault on people who put an enormous amount of their own time into trying to make the sport safer.

Jumping on Thursday was just an idea to get out there and meet some members from the area and listen to their concerns. I thought it a good idea to show our faces and be available to explain or answer any questions about current events. Me sitting here at a computer is a bit impersonal if you ask me.

airtwardo  (D License)

Dec 29, 2011, 5:23 PM
Post #22 of 45 (2654 views)
Shortcut

Me sitting here at a computer is a bit impersonal if you ask me.

In reply to:

No Rich, you interacting here openly is a whole lot MORE personal than what most have come to expect from 'upstairs'.

Wanting to actually set-up a SKYDIVE with the membership...that's above & beyond! Cool

YOUR efforts are noticed, appreciated and will no doubt be remembered during elections.

I really wish ALL of the USPA staff were so inclined...yes I know, there are several that are, but IMHO way to many who are NOT as accessible, open & willing to communicate as you've proven to be.

I'm rather interested some recent motions, I'll try to be there in Feb as well. Wink

stratostar  (Student)

Dec 29, 2011, 6:41 PM
Post #23 of 45 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
I guess I didnt get the memo: I am paying for hotels, transportation, jumps, food, drink...etc to jump at Skydive San Diego. I never asked for anything free or expect it.

Stupid freshman..... LOLTongue

Quote:
Jumping on Thursday was just an idea to get out there and meet some members from the area and listen to their concerns. I thought it a good idea to show our faces and be available to explain or answer any questions about current events. Me sitting here at a computer is a bit impersonal if you ask me.

It's more of an effort then I've seen any other freshman national BOD member put forth and try to do for the betterment of speaking to the membership. I think it is a great idea and I hope you'll continue to do so and well as the other BOD members.

Now you better find out about all those perks you been missing out on.... I bet their all laughing at you while splitting up your shares of the goodies...Laugh

(This post was edited by stratostar on Dec 29, 2011, 6:47 PM)

Deisel  (D 31661)

Dec 31, 2011, 6:29 PM
Post #24 of 45 (2571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

YOUR efforts are noticed, appreciated and will no doubt be remembered during elections.

+1 Cool

Para5-0  (D 19054)

Jan 11, 2012, 7:20 AM
Post #25 of 45 (2522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Deisel] Meet and Jump with the USPA Staff and BOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wanted to update everyone and thank them for the support.

I am compiling a list of Directors and USPA Staff that will be in attendance on Thursday Feb 16th at Skydive San Diego. It is confirmed and hopefully will be a good time.

So far I have about 8 confirmations from the BOD. I am hoping just maybe the day can bring attention to the meeting and some members will stop on down to see not only the board members but sit in on some of the committees to see how the wheeel turns. I guess if it rains that would help attendance., not that I am wishing bad weather to anyone. lol

Grey Rainy Sky's (could be a first and some beer for me, Never wished bad weather before.)
Rich

Still up in the air for our agenda after jumping so any suggestions are welcome. Just PM me.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)