Forums: Skydiving: Skydiving History & Trivia:
Classic Jump Suits

anj4de

Dec 26, 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1177 views)
Shortcut
Classic Jump Suits Can't Post

Hello all

Hope you all had a nice Christmas...here is was very good, lots of family around etc...but now I am glad it's overWink

So here is my actual question. Is there a company or shop out there that still carries or makes classic skydive jump suits? I mean the ones with the two full length zippers, the knit collar and cuffs, all that in nice non-neon colors like ruby red or sun flower yellow, maybe checkered...just like the ones worn in "Gibbsy Moth" ... and then those great 70ties ones that make you look a bit like Batman. I see them from time to time on E-bay but of course never in my size.

thanks
Uwe

IanHarrop  (C 1152)

Dec 26, 2011, 2:17 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anj4de] Classic Jump Suits [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.paragear.com/...level=2&parent=3

BIGUN  (D 23385)

Dec 26, 2011, 3:41 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1137 views)
Shortcut

http://www.flitesuit.com/Index.html

lekstrom10k  (D 3001)

Dec 26, 2011, 6:30 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1111 views)
Shortcut

The 1969 movie was "Gypsy Moths". It refered to the moth having an uncontrolable urge to fly into the flames . As the jumpers of the Bat-Wings didnt want to pull and self destruct.

airtwardo  (D License)

Dec 28, 2011, 9:21 AM
Post #5 of 13 (1026 views)
Shortcut

The old Pioneer Double Zipper jumpsuit!

I have a few of them, all are white and all are still in great shape...they were made before the stand-up landings were perfected. Wink

The last one I bought was from Para-Gear 20 some years ago on a close out sale...it's an extra large and it cost me 20 bucks! Cool

I'd think with enough $ incentive ANY jumpsuit maker will build you a custom suit of that type...and yes I still have my 'Swing Wing' and my 2 piece 'Silly Suit'...neither are for sale though, never know when the old stuff will come back in fashion! Sly

lekstrom10k  (D 3001)

Dec 28, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #6 of 13 (999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] Classic Jump Suits [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

I have a few of them, all are white and all are still in great shape...they were made before the stand-up landings were perfected. Wink

The last one I bought was from Para-Gear 20 some years ago on a close out sale...it's an extra large and it cost me 20 bucks! Cool
In reply to:
I still have my black swing wing altered a bit I once had the white one too1977 or so. I have three Buzz special Dive-Rites A white RW ballonsuit and some Wind-Jammers from Tom Campau's Midwest Parachute
I'd think with enough $ incentive ANY jumpsuit maker will build you a custom suit of that type...and yes I still have my 'Swing Wing' and my 2 piece 'Silly Suit'...neither are for sale though, never know when the old stuff will come back in fashion! Sly

Krip  (Student)

Dec 28, 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #7 of 13 (982 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

HI Mr T

All my old stuff has shrunk even without being washedFrown WAG Your X large double zip has shrunk and now its to small to fit you even were butt nakedPirate

What we need is a G.I. that travels to a nice place overseas supply him with some good materils (zippers, thread, maybe cloth and the all important snaps for the black bungee stuff that fit underneath the boot to keep the legs from riding up.Cool

Back in the day a tailor in the PI with a tredle sewing machine could make anything from a pic in a magazine. Just need to make sure the G.I. is the same size as us full figured folks or get the measurements right with pics.Tongue

In bali we took our cordura log book cover to a tailor shop, selected some nice leather and told the tailor "same same" . Nice workmans ship good velcro or the price Blush except the plastic for the USPA card and jump tickets didn't last.

R.

jimjumper  (D 11137)

Dec 29, 2011, 8:40 AM
Post #8 of 13 (963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Krip] Classic Jump Suits [In reply to] Can't Post

The PI is were I got my SCR/SCS patches made. They could sew or embroider anything as long as you had an example. The dropzone at Clark was interesting after they plowed it up all over the place looking for unexploded ordnance. You also had to avoid the Negrito village on takeoff because they would shoot at the plane! I wore out my last double zipper sliding in tandems. They were great for that job.

kd5xb  (Student)

Jan 4, 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #9 of 13 (872 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
and yes I still have my 'Swing Wing'

Ever jump it? We need pics!

And I had a Swing Wing, it's gone, and now I want another! Anybody got one in a size "humongous"?

Stefan_r10

Jan 9, 2012, 2:07 PM
Post #10 of 13 (801 views)
Shortcut

http://www.rainbowsuits.com/kombis/classic-dz.shtml

jclalor  (B 33202)

Jan 11, 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #11 of 13 (739 views)
Shortcut

There is no tackier suit being flown today than mine. At 6'3 and 245 pounds, it really slows me down.

http://www.youtube.com/...OtFb3me-TgZc6uKhypiS

GreenLight  (D 18859)

Jan 12, 2012, 8:39 AM
Post #12 of 13 (695 views)
Shortcut

I still have one of the double zipper jumpsuits and it's in really good contidion. I jump it once in a while just for fun.

Here are a couple of pictures from the AT website.
Attachments: balloonsuit.jpg (49.0 KB)
  batwing.jpg (117 KB)

PROGRESSIVE  (D 8150)

Jan 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
Post #13 of 13 (679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GreenLight] Classic Jump Suits [In reply to] Can't Post

There is nothing more frustrating than exiting out of a DC3 last, having an awesome dive, swoop and dock, but finding yourself precariously holding onto the mere seams of inflated balloon suit that is falling 120 mph by the ragged edges of your fingernails!

"Get in, or go in!"

Pete

Forums : Skydiving : Skydiving History & Trivia

Search for (options)