Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Question regarding this mid-air collision

Nealeod  (D 33042)

Dec 25, 2011, 8:38 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1331 views)
Shortcut
Question regarding this mid-air collision Can't Post

Found this video today. Does anyone know the facts of this incident and any recommendations on how to prevent such a near miss as this?

From the video, I would guess the parties involved were not exercising situational awareness and didn't discuss their pull altitudes nor their direction of track. I'm obviously new at this sport and don't want to become another statistic or the subject of a thread here. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngQMltsW-vw&feature=player_embedded

Zymurdoo  (D 16833)

Dec 25, 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nealeod] Question regarding this mid-air collision [In reply to] Can't Post

Point of impact
http://www.youtube.com/...;v=ngQMltsW-vw#t=72s

SRI85  (D License)

Dec 27, 2011, 5:09 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nealeod] Question regarding this mid-air collision [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure what the winds were doing that day, but it looks like very poor separation time was given on exit. That or someone tracked up jump run.

5.samadhi

Dec 29, 2011, 7:45 AM
Post #4 of 7 (853 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SRI85] Question regarding this mid-air collision [In reply to] Can't Post

^ 7 seconds of separation

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Dec 29, 2011, 9:08 AM
Post #5 of 7 (823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [5.samadhi] Question regarding this mid-air collision [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
^ 7 seconds of separation

Meaningless as it stands.

5.samadhi

Dec 29, 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #6 of 7 (801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [popsjumper] Question regarding this mid-air collision [In reply to] Can't Post

i think thats right, it seems like two jumpers didnt track away. maybe they had a plan for two to track away and one to pull in place but it looks like one dropped low out of the formation and didnt track away and pulled and then the guy that was supposed to pull in place freefell right through him.

if you drop low still track I think!

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Dec 29, 2011, 6:01 PM
Post #7 of 7 (750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [5.samadhi] Question regarding this mid-air collision [In reply to] Can't Post

>7 seconds of separation

That's a good _minimum_ but the time must be increased as the groundspeed of the airplane is reduced (as a rough guideline.) In a 40kt headwind, for example, 7 seconds is definitely not enough.

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)