Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Photography and Video:
Wingsuit friendly GoPro ankle mount

jono  (C 298258)

Nov 21, 2011, 6:19 PM
Post #1 of 18 (4523 views)
Shortcut
Wingsuit friendly GoPro ankle mount Can't Post

Just wondering if anybody has a photo(s) of an ankle mount that they are using and happy with. I have had a few tries and am having trouble with preventing the camera from rotating around my ankle and having a stable platform at the same time as being able to flex/move my ankle. I have come up with a cutaway system that I am happy with but need some tips for the mount please. Also how are people getting it to mount past the bootie on the wingsuit??
Thanks in advance.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Nov 21, 2011, 6:43 PM
Post #2 of 18 (4504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jono] Wingsuit friendly GoPro ankle mount [In reply to] Can't Post

a special mount on the left shoe. it's a different shoe.
Saw one the other day that was more or less a tube with a cutaway cable through it. The tube slipped over the shoe, under the bootie, and the cutaway goes up the leg.

jono  (C 298258)

Nov 21, 2011, 9:14 PM
Post #3 of 18 (4473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] Wingsuit friendly GoPro ankle mount [In reply to] Can't Post

So it seems you are talking about more of a shoe/heel mount than an ankle mount although I don't really understand how the cutaway works from your description. Looks like I have to go back to the drawing board on this one.
Thanks DSE Smile

jtholmes

Nov 22, 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #4 of 18 (4378 views)
Shortcut

I would love to see these cut aways for the ankle/ heel mount that you speak of. A picture would be rad.

I think this is a great angle, and I have been using it. That I have done is simply take the head strap mount, stripping it of the over the top of the head strap and using the other strap to go around my foot, such that the camera mount is on the back bottom of my heel. I reinforce with duct tape for stability.

Here is a link to the head strap I mentioned: http://gopro.com/...ts/head-strap-mount/

I have no cutaway and that scares me...

jdatc

Nov 22, 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #5 of 18 (4357 views)
Shortcut

My ankle mount is a chopped down snowboard binding, with a ram mount (http://www.ram-mount.com/...Default.aspx#/wizard) bolted to it with a go pro tripod mount adapter.

It is quite steady, and with the ram mount, it gives you a choice of angle and length of arm. The plastics are lightweight, and it doesn't detract much from flying. Also, it doesn't impair my footing launching it base jumping.

Downside. It has no cutaway. You fuck up bad, you die.

Remember left ankle, not right. I'd say ankle mounts are generally for more *experienced* pilots depending on your risk tolerance.

Typical Screen grab enclosed. Mount picture enclosed as well.

_justin
Attachments: Mount.jpg (147 KB)
  0798223_32958178_1021700884_o.jpg (87.5 KB)

mccordia  (D 94775)

Nov 23, 2011, 1:09 AM
Post #6 of 18 (4317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdatc] Wingsuit friendly GoPro ankle mount [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a custom leg-mount, thats placed at the front.

http://airrebels.com/...misc/legmount_04.jpg
http://airrebels.com/...misc/legmount_03.jpg

In view, its roughly the same as a footmount (though less wobbly when you make a lot of steering corrections) and also relativly simple in use and clear from snagging issues with regards to the pilotchute.

Seeing where that thing can bounce when it catches the burble, I try to stay away from using a normal footmount.

jdatc

Nov 23, 2011, 6:58 AM
Post #7 of 18 (4295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mccordia] Wingsuit friendly GoPro ankle mount [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

In view, its roughly the same as a footmount (though less wobbly when you make a lot of steering corrections) and also relativly simple in use and clear from snagging issues with regards to the pilotchute.

My ankle mount isn't wobbly at all, even with quite aggressive fast maneuvers, barrel rolls and the likes.

I think this comes from the fact on my ankle mount, there is a heal cup (part goes under the very back of your heal under your foot and the other on the back of your heal), 2 metal side stays that go along your foot prior to the bootie, and a wide strap that ratchets down.

I like mine because it requires no alteration to the wingsuit, and the angle is quite flexible. Facing up, or down, or right off the toe.

It gets good canopy shots as well. I stole the design off a Base jumper from the PNW.

_justin
Attachments: Canopy_Beer_Base.jpg (59.2 KB)

mccordia  (D 94775)

Nov 26, 2011, 5:06 AM
Post #8 of 18 (4191 views)
Shortcut
Re: Wingsuit friendly GoPro ankle mount [In reply to] Can't Post

Made a smaller mount today, placed on the ankle (side)...Cool
Attachments: mount.jpg (65.7 KB)
  mount_leg.jpg (95.0 KB)
  mount_wingsuit.jpg (73.5 KB)

gearless_chris  (D 29012)

Nov 26, 2011, 8:22 AM
Post #9 of 18 (4175 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

You really put a big hook on your leg? Doesn't the Dbag go past your legs until the canopy comes out of the bag?

mccordia  (D 94775)

Nov 26, 2011, 8:33 AM
Post #10 of 18 (4171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gearless_chris] Wingsuit friendly GoPro ankle mount [In reply to] Can't Post

The D-Bag doesnt pass allong the far side of my left leg when I deploy?

This is roughly the view/position.

Dokeman  (D License)

Nov 26, 2011, 3:08 PM
Post #11 of 18 (4137 views)
Shortcut

Not gonna work real well for wing suiting , but when i made a foot mount, i just got a flat mount and put in on a piece of metal and then put it under my shoe laces. Easy enough to kick off a shoe if need be.

(This post was edited by Dokeman on Nov 26, 2011, 7:34 PM)

mccordia  (D 94775)

Nov 26, 2011, 3:52 PM
Post #12 of 18 (4132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dokeman] Wingsuit friendly GoPro ankle mount [In reply to] Can't Post

The mount I made works very well (Ive jumped a similar setup before, and its not vastly different from what other use).

Any mount attached to a shoe, that you want to kick off, will not work with wingsuit (with a bootie over it). Hence the small brace coming around the bootie.

jono  (C 298258)

Nov 28, 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #13 of 18 (4061 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Thats the shit right there!! Looks stable and comfortable. Does it have any sort of cutaway?

mccordia  (D 94775)

Nov 28, 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #14 of 18 (4059 views)
Shortcut

No cutaway, though it should be clear of where any part of the canopy or bag passes during deployment. But I could see the actual 'hook' on the legmount attached via some sewn loops, and a bit of yellow cable looped through, passing up to the knee. that would allow for a quick cutaway. Maybe for a version 2.0 at some point..

mchamp  (D 32129)

Dec 6, 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #15 of 18 (3944 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Just wondering if anybody has a photo(s) of an ankle mount that they are using and happy with. I have had a few tries and am having trouble with preventing the camera from rotating around my ankle and having a stable platform at the same time as being able to flex/move my ankle. I have come up with a cutaway system that I am happy with but need some tips for the mount please. Also how are people getting it to mount past the bootie on the wingsuit??
Thanks in advance.

Haven't used one yet, but thinking about getting one of these which also has a cutaway system implemented. Has anyone bought anything from this place? You're in luck as it seems he's in Australia too!

http://www.dropzone.com/...ge.cgi?ID=119011;d=1

skydiverwd

Apr 3, 2013, 2:07 PM
Post #16 of 18 (2675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jtholmes] Wingsuit friendly GoPro ankle mount [In reply to] Can't Post

Got a picture? I want to see how you do it. If you can take one with and without the wingsuit on would be awesome

skydiverwd

Apr 3, 2013, 2:12 PM
Post #17 of 18 (2670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdatc] Wingsuit friendly GoPro ankle mount [In reply to] Can't Post

Got any pics and instructions on how to make it?

sky490

Apr 10, 2013, 4:26 PM
Post #18 of 18 (2471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydiverwd] Wingsuit friendly GoPro ankle mount [In reply to] Can't Post

We are working on a design we have that should be at your dealer in about a month. Contact Antigravity Base for more info
Blue Skies
Terry Schumacher

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Photography and Video

Search for (options)