Falling out of a Harness

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

jhh166  (B License)

Oct 31, 2011, 4:11 PM
Post #101 of 116 (1526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnMitchell] Falling out of a Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Wow, Happy Halloween, this thread is back from the dead.

Vskydiver fell out of her harness once, hanging at 2 grand by her knees in the leg straps, just like on the monkey bars. She climbed back up into the rig. I know a lot of people say it can't happen. PM Vskydiver for the details. It'll make you think twice.

If you do not mind could you elaborate what may have put her in that position ie. sitfly..hard opening? Thanks

JohnMitchell  (D 6462)

Oct 31, 2011, 9:29 PM
Post #102 of 116 (1482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jhh166] Falling out of a Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
If you do not mind could you elaborate what may have put her in that position ie. sitfly..hard opening? Thanks
Hard opening. She's not very big and very flexible. Her legs flew up, her butt slid out with her torso following. Pretty scary.

She's not the only person that has had that happen, but some people still think it's not possible.

jhh166  (B License)

Nov 3, 2011, 3:26 AM
Post #103 of 116 (1404 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
Hard opening. She's not very big and very flexible. Her legs flew up, her butt slid out with her torso following. Pretty scary.

She's not the only person that has had that happen, but some people still think it's not possible.

Crazy. I am glad she was able to get back in the harness. I can see it possible, on one of my deployments I remember my feet being head level. I think I pitched down when I reached for the BOC and it whipped me to the position (folded at the waist with my feet in my face). I however was no where near coming out of the harness but I can see plausible.

JohnMitchell  (D 6462)

Nov 3, 2011, 8:09 AM
Post #104 of 116 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jhh166] Falling out of a Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why we emphasize the arch when you pull. It's not to keep you stable. It's to keep the harness from coming off. Tongue

(Disclaimer: I'm joking.)Smile

Marksman  (B 7)

Nov 8, 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #105 of 116 (1264 views)
Shortcut

disclaimer!!! LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

sundevil777  (D License)

Nov 8, 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #106 of 116 (1227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] Falling out of a Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
"
In reply to:
... I can get out of my seatbelt ... without disconnecting anything as well. I don't see that as a problem. ...

Car seatbelts are crap, a huge compromise of comfort and convenience over safety. You won't see F-1 or Nascar using that inertial-locking-shoulder-and-lap crap. Try slipping out of a correctly adjusted 5-point harness. ...
"

Car seat-belts had to be dumbed-down to match the intelligence of the average car driver.
Given the low intelligence of the average car driver, add fatigue, alcohol, distractions in the form of cell phones, pets, make-up, other traffic, pedestrians, traffic lights, road signs, etc. .... it is a miracle that so few car drivers die!

A lot of cars now have pre-tensioners, so that they get cinched up if the airbags are fired. It is a very effective method of reducing injuries, as the slack in the belt is a very important factor in how far forward you'll get thrown/how hard you'll hit the wheel, etc. It should be standard equipment, but not yet.

(This post was edited by sundevil777 on Nov 8, 2011, 12:51 PM)

sundevil777  (D License)

Nov 8, 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #107 of 116 (1224 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Wow, Happy Halloween, this thread is back from the dead.

Vskydiver fell out of her harness once, hanging at 2 grand by her knees in the leg straps, just like on the monkey bars. She climbed back up into the rig. I know a lot of people say it can't happen. PM Vskydiver for the details. It'll make you think twice.

Did that happen on a student rig or one made for her? If it was her rig, what was your countermeasure - did you add a solid (not just bungee) strap to go across the leg straps?

JohnMitchell  (D 6462)

Nov 8, 2011, 2:14 PM
Post #108 of 116 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sundevil777] Falling out of a Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

Custom rig, very small backpack. She now has a non-stretch strap where many install bungees.

sundevil777  (D License)

Nov 8, 2011, 4:12 PM
Post #109 of 116 (1175 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Custom rig, very small backpack. She now has a non-stretch strap where many install bungees.

The non-stretch strap is so much more useful than a bungee. Here's a repost of a good article from Jan Meyer on the subject and how to get such a strap made and applied to a rig with no sewing to the rig itself:

http://www.makeithappen.com/spsj/fallout.html

jrjny  (A License)

Nov 8, 2011, 5:28 PM
Post #110 of 116 (1157 views)
Shortcut

Maybe I'm missing something but what the heck is a little bungee going to actually accomplish? I have the thing and it's like a shoelace...how could that save my 'ass' from going through, literally.

Thanks,

Jeff

VTmotoMike08  (D 30399)

Nov 8, 2011, 5:45 PM
Post #111 of 116 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrjny] Falling out of a Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe I'm missing something but what the heck is a little bungee going to actually accomplish? I have the thing and it's like a shoelace...how could that save my 'ass' from going through, literally.

Thanks,

Jeff

My understanding is that it keeps the properly adjusted leg straps from sliding towards your knees where you would be more likely to fall thru. Of course it is not a weight bearing piece, it just keeps everything in the right position.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Nov 9, 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #112 of 116 (1030 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrjny] Falling out of a Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Thanks,

Jeff

Flimsy little elastic bungees are designed to hold the leg pads in place (where your buttock cheek meets your leg) BEFORE they are loaded - during opening shock.
The alternative is leg straps sliping down - too low - before opening shock, then you are at risk of falling out and a little piece of stretchy bungee cord will make no difference.

ShcShc11  (A 15638)

Nov 19, 2011, 1:26 PM
Post #113 of 116 (917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] Falling out of a Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/swooper-belly-band.html

So by any chance would these be worth the cost for a newbie?

airtwardo  (D License)

Nov 19, 2011, 1:28 PM
Post #114 of 116 (915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ShcShc11] Falling out of a Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
http://www.chutingstar.com/...oper-belly-band.html

Marisan  (E 123)

Nov 19, 2011, 1:44 PM
Post #115 of 116 (910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ShcShc11] Falling out of a Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

All that is old is new again.

ShcShc11  (A 15638)

Nov 21, 2011, 1:56 PM
Post #116 of 116 (805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Marisan] Falling out of a Harness [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

All that is old is new again.

uhhh? Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)