Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Swooping and Canopy Control:
Unbroken canopy pilot

flyingstrauss  (B 15358)

Oct 23, 2011, 2:59 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2361 views)
Shortcut
Unbroken canopy pilot Can't Post

So, is there a canopy pilot, who is considered a good pilot, maybe even top-of-the game pilot, that doesn't have rods, plates and screws in his body left from the learning process? Is it possible for someone to become a good pilot with his bones intact? And if possible, are there any living examples? I'm just curious... Cool

DARK  (B 31685)

Oct 23, 2011, 4:11 AM
Post #2 of 17 (2320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flyingstrauss] Unbroken canopy pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
So, is there a canopy pilot, who is considered a good pilot, maybe even top-of-the game pilot, that doesn't have rods, plates and screws in his body left from the learning process? Is it possible for someone to become a good pilot with his bones intact? And if possible, are there any living examples? I'm just curious... Cool

I know a couple, nobody super famous but people who are respected by the 'top of the game' pilots

i dont want to mention any names just in case they are wierd about privacy and the interwebs

dqpacker  (D 32043)

Oct 23, 2011, 5:14 AM
Post #3 of 17 (2311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DARK] Unbroken canopy pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I know a couple, nobody super famous but people who are respected by the 'top of the game' pilots

i dont want to mention any names just in case they are wierd about privacy and the interwebs

Everyone knows there are no good canopy pilots from Ireland. quit lying.

superstu  (D License)

Oct 23, 2011, 6:53 AM
Post #4 of 17 (2283 views)
Shortcut

Yes, there's a few out there without metal. Doesn't mean we haven't hit, just means we haven't hit hard enough and have gotten lucky.

All canopy pilots hit no matter if you're starting out or a top tier guy, and we all know we'll hit again if we continue to swoop it's a risk one has to be ok with unfortunately.

For the record I don't have any metal

Stu

morris

Oct 23, 2011, 8:13 AM
Post #5 of 17 (2256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [superstu] Unbroken canopy pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

For the record, I dont have any metal either.

wildcard451  (D License)

Oct 23, 2011, 8:22 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2250 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
All canopy pilots hit no matter if you're starting out or a top tier guy, and we all know we'll hit again if we continue to swoop it's a risk one has to be ok with unfortunately.

Easier to quote than rewrite.

/then again, Im just a no name monkey. Tongue

AggieDave  (D License)

Oct 23, 2011, 9:01 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2233 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Yes, there's a few out there without metal. Doesn't mean we haven't hit, just means we haven't hit hard enough and have gotten lucky.

Stu

I haven't placed as high as Stu, but I don't have any metal either. I have hit the pond HARD though.

piisfish

Oct 24, 2011, 4:03 AM
Post #8 of 17 (2020 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AggieDave] Unbroken canopy pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I haven't placed as high as Stu, but I don't have any metal either. I have hit the pond HARD though.
The pond was broken and got metal after you hit it Laugh

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Oct 24, 2011, 6:11 AM
Post #9 of 17 (1981 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

My kid Justin Price competes at the national level and has zero metal. He's broken his back twice, but no metal was needed. Shocked

Skydivesg  (D 10938)

Oct 24, 2011, 8:54 AM
Post #10 of 17 (1928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] Unbroken canopy pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just looking at your pictures in your profile and saw the one of your kid swooping for a high five.

The kid that's high fiving him looks exactly like my kid. Who is it?

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Oct 24, 2011, 9:25 AM
Post #11 of 17 (1917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skydivesg] Unbroken canopy pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure. That shot was taken a long time ago at Skydive Houston in Waller, Texas. I believe the person on the ground was a tandem catcher.

Skydivesg  (D 10938)

Oct 24, 2011, 9:53 AM
Post #12 of 17 (1908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] Unbroken canopy pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I doubt it was my son.

I'm sure he's been there when he was the tour rep for PD and if someone had showed me that small picture and told me it was him I would believe it.
And the leaping high 5 is it's exactly the kind of stuff he does.

But then he most assuredly would have been wearing a PD Tour shirt.

LetsGoOutside  (D License)

Oct 24, 2011, 3:52 PM
Post #13 of 17 (1798 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Stu
You were the first guy I thought of.

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Oct 26, 2011, 11:09 AM
Post #14 of 17 (1584 views)
Shortcut

I am pretty sure I finished 9th in the nation in 2001 points-wise (Butts might have actually been 9th..) and I have only ever broken two knuckles on my right hand swooping (at the WFFC PST meet in 2003). That might seem like a lifetime ago for you new guys, but I am still hard at it at 48 years old and still jump an 80 square foot canopy.

Chuck

LukeOliver  (F 600)

Oct 28, 2011, 2:09 AM
Post #15 of 17 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Quote:

I can understand why you might ask the question;
However, metalwork is not an essential part of the puzzle.
It's completely optional.

You could even argue that with the increased availability of quality training, targeted training activities and peer feedback... it's not even a badge of honour.

Pulse  (D 16387)

Dec 1, 2011, 4:00 PM
Post #16 of 17 (1152 views)
Shortcut

If you've taken a humble and reasonable approach to swooping you shouldn't need any metal.

A reasonable canopy choice - followed by mastering that canopy - only then applying that canopy and your skills to swooping.

If you have ever figured, "I can't swoop this cause it's not _________(fill in the blank)." You've already started down the wrong path and I see metal in your future.

adamT  (D 26819)

Dec 3, 2011, 7:32 PM
Post #17 of 17 (1084 views)
Shortcut

No swooping related hospital visits here.

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Swooping and Canopy Control

Search for (options)