First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Krip  (Student)

Sep 26, 2011, 12:16 AM
Post #1 of 28 (1331 views)
Shortcut
How many logbooks? Can't Post

Hi Ladies and Gents

Some of you all (southern talkWink) Have mass qty's of jumps on rds,

How many log books you got. The 100 jump hard cover blue colored pioneer Log books were a PIA.Unsure

Take that DB cooper!!!!

R.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Sep 26, 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #2 of 28 (1325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Krip] How many logbooks? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi Ladies and Gents

How many log books you got. The 100 150 jump hard cover blue colored pioneer Log books were a PIA.Unsure

Take that DB cooper!!!!

R.

I fixed it for you. Wink

Sparky

lekstrom10k  (D 3001)

Sep 26, 2011, 2:13 AM
Post #3 of 28 (1315 views)
Shortcut

I have number 86 just about filled. As a friend told me years ago if you lose one only 150 jumps maximum are lost. It pity those who lose a 500 jump one. So far so good, I also have the names of all 3700 tandems I took.

Krip  (Student)

Sep 26, 2011, 4:56 AM
Post #4 of 28 (1304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] How many logbooks? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Hi Ladies and Gents

How many log books you got. The 100 150 jump hard cover blue colored pioneer Log books were a PIA.Unsure

Take that DB cooper!!!!

R.

I fixed it for you. Wink

Sparky

Hi Sparky

It's been a long time since I looked at my PI log book. Unsure

Sound like it's been two long, I better start looking at the damn thing before I forget what a log book is or was.Unsure

Thanks for being gentle sparky.Smile Wouldn't expect any different from a Navy corpsmen assigned to a marine combat unit, You the manCool

I think I may have a plan to keep up with the DB Cooper groupies, and their camping stories, and travel logsSly

Stay tuned for Jump #1Tongue

R.

JohnRich  (D License)

Sep 26, 2011, 7:55 AM
Post #5 of 28 (1287 views)
Shortcut

My stack, attached. One student blue book half-filled, and a bunch of black 300-jump logs.
Attachments: Log Books.JPG (162 KB)

Krip  (Student)

Sep 26, 2011, 8:47 AM
Post #6 of 28 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] How many logbooks? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
My stack, attached. One student blue book half-filled, and a bunch of black 300-jump logs.

Hi JR

Nice stack dudeWink

I keep my short stack locked in my big fire proof safe with the stuff we're not supposed to talk about outside of SC.Wink

Log Books IMO are priceless.

R.

JohnRich  (D License)

Sep 26, 2011, 1:14 PM
Post #7 of 28 (1258 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I keep my short stack locked in my big fire proof safe with the stuff we're not supposed to talk about outside of SC.Wink Log Books IMO are priceless.

That's a good idea, actually. I have a medium-sized safe for money and handguns, but I think there's room in there for skydiving logbooks too. Looking book through those entries is a real time machine, and brings back a lot of good memories, about people, places and events. They wouldn't mean much to anyone else, but to me, yeah, they're priceless.

jonstark  (D 8298)

Sep 26, 2011, 1:38 PM
Post #8 of 28 (1253 views)
Shortcut

I use the cheapo blue ones and log each day in a single line. I putdate, jump number from/to, altitude, accumulated freefall time for the day, how much the jumps cost, locale and a brief description of the jumps ie: rw4,6 10...

I really regret the few years that I didn't log being a bad-assed outlaw (hah!) in the mid-late seventies. Missed around 700 jumps there.

jon

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Sep 26, 2011, 2:52 PM
Post #9 of 28 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jonstark] How many logbooks? [In reply to] Can't Post

For those that don't know was a "little blue logbook" is.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/...ing/Logbook20007.jpg

JohnRich  (D License)

Sep 26, 2011, 3:23 PM
Post #10 of 28 (1233 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

And the inside, left and right halves.
Attachments: Blue log 1.jpg (169 KB)
  Blue log 2.jpg (169 KB)

pchapman  (D 1014)

Sep 26, 2011, 3:51 PM
Post #11 of 28 (1223 views)
Shortcut

Nice logbook pics, John.
Back when every jump was considered precious and worth writing about. Distance to target was important to have in a logbook too... but AVERAGING the distance to target, that's just mean, when one occasionally has those T.F.T.M. off DZ landings.

First standup jump 41!

But.... what did the pi symbol mean?

JohnRich  (D License)

Sep 26, 2011, 4:46 PM
Post #12 of 28 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pchapman] How many logbooks? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Nice logbook pics, John.
Back when every jump was considered precious and worth writing about. Distance to target was important to have in a logbook too... but AVERAGING the distance to target, that's just mean, when one occasionally has those T.F.T.M. off DZ landings.

First standup jump 41!
But.... what did the pi symbol mean?

The mathematical pi symbol was the shorthand used in those days to indicate a stand-up landing.

Yeah, 41 jumps before I stood one up - that's funny by today's standards. Of course, my first 39 jumps were on old military surplus T-10 canopies, that landed you like a ton of bricks.

Those were from Sunrise Sport Parachute Center, Fernandina Beach, Florida, in 1979. Three of the signatures there are by Mike "Mad Dog" Maguire, who is still in the sport, I believe in Deland these days. "PC" means Paracommander - whooee, that was a high performance machine after the T-10! You had to have 75 jumps on one of those before you dared to transition to one o' them new-fangled ram-air parachutes. Funny stuff in retrospect. Good memories.

(This post was edited by JohnRich on Sep 26, 2011, 4:50 PM)

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Sep 26, 2011, 6:22 PM
Post #13 of 28 (1197 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

John that is one of the original blue books. The new ones have white paper and the format is a little different.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/...ydiving/LogBook1.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/...ydiving/LogBook2.jpg

Krip  (Student)

Sep 27, 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #14 of 28 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Quote:

John that is one of the original blue books. The new ones have white paper and the format is a little different.

Hi Mr Sparky

The Mr is a sign of respect you earned it.Wink

Ok you shamed me into going into my fire proof "security vault" and getting out my Official PI parachutist log. aka little blue book.

Me bad there really is 150 jumps logged not 100. Sorry I have OLD and my wife made me stop sleeping with my log books before she would marry me.

Since this is a History forum and I got the log book in front of me/myself/I .... somewhereBlush. I think we're missing a little secrete about the little blue book. The 27 pages of important info like the pi symbol, # jumps for a liscence the requirements for a C in hind sight is what it was. How to throw a WDI choose a exit point and spot.

PC Chapman and Beatnick maybe interested in this historical info.

Also found the little BBB (Bound Black Book ) not the spiral bound ones.

Anyone care to guess who published that oneSmile

R.

Take that DB cooper groupies, you'll need more than a court order to get hold of my log booksPirate

Krip  (Student)

Oct 11, 2011, 9:15 PM
Post #15 of 28 (1113 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/...ydiving/LogBook1.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/...ydiving/LogBook2.jpg

Hi Mr Sparky

I hate replying to own posts so tag your itAngelic

Saw the following post in the general skydiving forum about logging jumpsUnsure

There's a App for thatCoolUnsure

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4202590;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Anyone know how the electronic signiture thing works.

I guess all the info will be in the "cloud" but in 40 yr's ?

steve1  (D 23640)

Oct 12, 2011, 7:58 AM
Post #16 of 28 (1090 views)
Shortcut

Does anyone remember the red, log books that held 100 jumps. Many skydivers used them in about 1974. They might have become obsolete after that....

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 12, 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #17 of 28 (1080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve1] How many logbooks? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Does anyone remember the red, log books that held 100 jumps. Many skydivers used them in about 1974. They might have become obsolete after that....

My first 4 were of that type, then I went to the black 'RW' type that were/are popular...I still have a red one that's empty.

Pretty optimistic/dedicated back in '76 to buy FIVE logbooks after making 20 jumps so I'd have 'em when I needed 'em!

Probably why I stayed in the sport back then, HAD to fill up those damn logbooks! Sly

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Oct 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #18 of 28 (1077 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Was the cover red plastic with a snap?

Sparky

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Oct 12, 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #19 of 28 (1076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] How many logbooks? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jim,

I wonder if anyone remembers the fiasco with the DZ-USA log books?

Crazy

JerryBaumchen

Krip  (Student)

Oct 12, 2011, 2:07 PM
Post #20 of 28 (1063 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

Sparky

Hi Mr Sparky

I have a log book with a Black plastic cover (BPC) that used to have a snap.

When we got out our 150 Blush jump LBB we checked out the publisher of the BPC log book: SSEWink.

I could be wrong that was a couple of weeks ago.Unsure

R.

steve1  (D 23640)

Oct 13, 2011, 9:02 AM
Post #21 of 28 (1035 views)
Shortcut

reply]

Sparky
Yep, that's the one....

steve1  (D 23640)

Oct 13, 2011, 9:09 AM
Post #22 of 28 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JerryBaumchen] How many logbooks? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi Jim,

I wonder if anyone remembers the fiasco with the DZ-USA log books?

Crazy

JerryBaumchen

What happened Jerry?....Do you have any more Ted Mayfield stories? I'm still laughing at the girl who fell through the sheet rock, story....

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Oct 13, 2011, 11:44 AM
Post #23 of 28 (1015 views)
Shortcut

Hi steve,

Quote:
What happened Jerry?....

First, I was not involved, never bought one of the logbooks and only know this from the rumor mill.Angelic

Back in the late '60's, a guy by the name of Gene Hunnel brought out a magazine called 'DZ-USA' and it became very popular. He was located in Wichita or Des Moines or somewhere in the midwest.

He did well with the magazine and then had this great idea for a new type of logbook. He put an ad and sample in his magazine, gots lots of orders for them ( meaning $$$$ ) and then split with the money.

I have no idea where he went but I know some folks were looking for him.

As for Ted Mayfield stories; good grief, I do not have that many years to live. But I can tell you this, once you get Ted going he can tell dz stories until the cows come home; and all very entertaining. I always said that he should have ran a bar, he would have made a lot more money.

Dz stories/experiences is what kept most of still jumping, the jumps were probably secondary. Tongue

JerryBaumchen

PS) One early evening after a day of jumping we were all hanging around having a few beers on the dz and this first-timer asked about where his buddy. Well, we got to checking and these two guys had came out to make their first jump together and #1 did not know where #2 was. So we got to checking and #2 was laying a couple of fields from the dz with a broken leg. He had broken it on landing and was never accounted for. He had been told to follow the arrow but no one was manning the arrow, so he followed it to bum-f*** nowhere. He had been out there for 3-4 hours when we finally found him. Crazy I don't think either one of them came back for a 2nd jump. Shocked

steve1  (D 23640)

Oct 13, 2011, 12:58 PM
Post #24 of 28 (1014 views)
Shortcut

For some reason, that story does not surprise me much....That might have been a tough place to start jumping.

Airtwardo told a story of a guy who burned in, near a hangar, somewhere in Arizona. There was dead silence inside the hangar, and then an old salt piped up, and said, "I don't know who spotted that load, but whoever it was, they must be good!"

I wonder if that old salt's name, was Ted Mayfield?

Krip  (Student)

Oct 13, 2011, 2:22 PM
Post #25 of 28 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jerry

Ted Mayfield storiesLaugh

We could start a whole thread on that subject.Sly

Anyone know if he's on facebook, or still alive he's gotta be old, real old like maybe 70's Smile

GoogleCool I'll be back.

Teds still alive and wellSmile The comments at the end of the article are LaughLaugh.

http://www.katu.com/...2.html#idc-container

R.

(This post was edited by Krip on Oct 13, 2011, 2:40 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Skydiving History & Trivia

Search for (options)