Forums: Skydiving: Skydiving History & Trivia:
Para Commander question

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

captain1976  (D 7183)

Aug 7, 2011, 7:42 PM
Post #1 of 29 (2350 views)
Shortcut
Para Commander question Can't Post

Have a young guy at our DZ who wanted to jump a PC. So I went to my hanger loft and dug out a couple of PCs. One is in pretty nice condition so I put it together in a Mini-System main container. I also put a 26 lopo in a Strong Pop Top Reserve (what a bitch to pack).

Anyway after some instruction I spotted for him yesterday on his first PC jump. Everything went well and he even made another, then today he made his 3rd. Kid is getting addicted to it.

I think he is amazed at the quiet, peaceful ride you get compared to the squares which are a bit noisy with their forward speed and flapping materials. Also kind of neat to see a PC in the air after all these years.

My question regards the openings. He stated that the first opening was a bit hard, the 2nd was softer and the 3rd was also rather hard.

He plans on jumping it on a regular bases and now some of the other jumpers want to try it.

With several hundred jumps on PCs myself, I cant recall anything that I would consider hard but then again I really dont remember.

Can anyone remember if there was a way to slow down or soften the opening shock on these?

airtwardo  (D License)

Aug 7, 2011, 7:59 PM
Post #2 of 29 (2336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [captain1976] Para Commander question [In reply to] Can't Post

IIRC on mine, how the crown lines were stowed had some effect of the opening.

oldwomanc6

Aug 7, 2011, 8:13 PM
Post #3 of 29 (2333 views)
Shortcut

I jumped a Piglet back then. I have a few jumps(couple dozen) on a P.C. So take this in that light/vein/spirit. How soft an opening does he expect? All the jumps I have on a P.C. seemed snivelly, and slow in comparison. Almost scarily slow.

I'm not sure I would even classify it as opening "shock" CrazyTongue

lisa

p.s. If he wants to keep jumping a round, I hope you will teach him how to spot. Laugh

captain1976  (D 7183)

Aug 7, 2011, 8:18 PM
Post #4 of 29 (2331 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] Para Commander question [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
IIRC on mine, how the crown lines were stowed had some effect of the opening.

OK, Thats an idea. Should I have him double band the crowns?

captain1976  (D 7183)

Aug 7, 2011, 8:22 PM
Post #5 of 29 (2329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oldwomanc6] Para Commander question [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not sure I would even classify it as opening "shock" CrazyTongue

I really don't know but he jumps a square and its obviously harder than that. I ain't jumpin' the PC myself so I just have to take his word that its kind of hard.

p.s. If he wants to keep jumping a round, I hope you will teach him how to spot. Laugh

He's a pretty good spotter but I warned him to be prepared for an off DZ landing on occasion.

stratostar  (Student)

Aug 8, 2011, 5:38 AM
Post #6 of 29 (2291 views)
Shortcut

I always do because the standard size rubber bands are to loose and require a double stow due to line type. Yes you could use the smaller rubber bands, I don't like them so I choose to double. Same with main lines, only if needed, but NOT the locking stows...

Also what type of deployment system are you using? Sleeve or POD ?

lucky508  (B 15469)

Aug 8, 2011, 5:43 AM
Post #7 of 29 (2289 views)
Shortcut

Captain,
If the PC is in a sleeve then yes, double stow the crown lines. this ensures the suspension lines deploy first and leads to a nice in sequence deployment. it also prevents bag slump. I had a hard opening on a PC in a sleeve once but it was due to the PC being a short lined comp model. Just remember not to double stow the crown lines if it's in a POD. this can cause a delay in opening if youre at sub terminal and at 1500 feet. I learned that the hard way. Tongue
ATW,
Cael

airdvr  (D 10977)

Aug 8, 2011, 2:08 PM
Post #8 of 29 (2241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lucky508] Para Commander question [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the term 'hard opening' is relative. Every morning I'm reminded of the price of hard openings...lol.

councilman24  (D 8631)

Aug 8, 2011, 4:39 PM
Post #9 of 29 (2223 views)
Shortcut

If he thinks a PC is hard what would he think about a Strato Cloud?Tongue He's probably used to these new ramairs that streamer for 800' and finally clear.Crazy

I used to think my PC was a little hard, until I realized that I was never stopping my track from break off and pulling in a track!

I have my old comp PC in a sleeva and a rig to put it in. I also have a RW PC that still needs a couple of patches. But I have to loose some weight before I jump them.

jumpsalot-2  (D 33093)

Aug 8, 2011, 5:42 PM
Post #10 of 29 (2208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [councilman24] Para Commander question [In reply to] Can't Post

I have my old comp PC in a sleeva and a rig to put it in. I also have a RW PC that still needs a couple of patches. But I have to loose some weight before I jump them.
In reply to:
That is a good point....What is an acceptable weight on a PC, and how much does this guy weigh ?

captain1976  (D 7183)

Aug 8, 2011, 6:22 PM
Post #11 of 29 (1919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lucky508] Para Commander question [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Captain,
If the PC is in a sleeve then yes, double stow the crown lines. this ensures the suspension lines deploy first and leads to a nice in sequence deployment. it also prevents bag slump. I had a hard opening on a PC in a sleeve once but it was due to the PC being a short lined comp model. Just remember not to double stow the crown lines if it's in a POD. this can cause a delay in opening if youre at sub terminal and at 1500 feet. I learned that the hard way. Tongue
ATW,
Cael

The PC is a Mark I and has been shortlined, but not to the real short comp length. Its in a short sleeve with the crowns stowed at the top. I can't say I recall what a POD is, was that what the bag was called?

Anyway I will take yours and Stratostars advise. I will make sure the crowns are double stowed along with the main lines.

Thanks all, I will report back after he makes some jumps this weekend.

(This post was edited by captain1976 on Aug 8, 2011, 6:24 PM)

stratostar  (Student)

Aug 9, 2011, 6:14 AM
Post #12 of 29 (1887 views)
Shortcut

You have the one deployment system I have not used nor owned. However it all works the same over all. A POD is a lot like a strong tandem main deployment d-bag today that opens up with velcro on the sides, only bigger like the size of a stylemaster or retro container pack tray like that. You have to make your folds shorter, it's just like making your S folds with a long sleeve, only you make your folds and then place in the POD.

With a POD (same as sleeve), I still double the main stows if there loose in the big rubbers, I also double the crown lines, but then again I chose to use the large rubbers and not the smalls like a lot of guys do now.

Almost everyone not from back in the day I have ever let jump a round all bitch about the opening shock, it's because they only know 1000 foot openings now and their not used to it making them slump in the harness like that. I know they are fine, because I test jumped each and every one of them and did all the packing. If they keep bitching then don't do long delays..... mostly it's "stop being a pussy and go jump it"

I have a couple mark ones too, a PAP, two jumbos, someone asked about weight for a PC. My personal comfort range is 180 (or less) up to 200 without gear, anymore then 200 your going to pound in unless it's a jumbo and even then you better be able to do a good PLF and today's kiddies couldn't do a good PLF to save their asses if it won them a million bucks.

@ 190 LBS without gear, I regularly could get rear riser stand up landings on my MK 1 short lined and my long line MK1, 23 Russian or PAP, all jumbos are softer landings.

(This post was edited by stratostar on Aug 9, 2011, 6:16 AM)

captain1976  (D 7183)

Aug 9, 2011, 5:15 PM
Post #13 of 29 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] Para Commander question [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Stratostar, I now remember the POD, just been a lot of years.

I would love to get my hands on a jumbo, then I would jump it.

Are you by any chance selling it or know of someone selling one?

Also, will a jumbo fit in the standard mini-system main container? I have a couple of those and the MarkI's fit them fine.

Thanks

stratostar  (Student)

Aug 9, 2011, 9:22 PM
Post #14 of 29 (1826 views)
Shortcut

I highly doubt you'll stuff a jumbo into a mini system, I own one and it's a tight ass bitch with a mk 1 in it. you need a style master or the like, not mini.

not for sale, but usable for interested parties.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Aug 9, 2011, 9:38 PM
Post #15 of 29 (1823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [councilman24] Para Commander question [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
until I realized that I was never stopping my track from break off and pulling in a track!

I have always felt that was sort of an urban legend. Unless you are in a dive during your track you should not be going faster than standard freefall speeds. In most cases slower i.e. wing suits.
I believe the reason it may have felt harder is you have a more drastic change in direction.

Sparky

BCA  (D 2203)

Aug 16, 2011, 7:43 AM
Post #16 of 29 (1759 views)
Shortcut

I made a couple thousand jumps on PC's and I always had soft openings by sitting up a little at opening time.

BCA

captain1976  (D 7183)

Aug 16, 2011, 8:49 PM
Post #17 of 29 (1715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BCA] Para Commander question [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks BCA, I will pass it on to the guy jumping it along with double stowing the crowns.

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Aug 16, 2011, 9:20 PM
Post #18 of 29 (1711 views)
Shortcut

Hi captain,

Personal experience: I started jumping a PC in Nov '64. The original PC sleeve was known as a 'long' sleeve in that the crown lines were not stowed, they just sat straight in the upper portion of the long sleeve.

It would hit me very hard at terminal; I could only take one of those openings a weekend.

After about 6 months or so I got a X-BO short sleeve which had stows for the crown lines. It made all the difference in the world. From that day on, I only jumped the X-BO sleeve and had the softest of openings.

Hope that this helps a little . . .

JerryBaumchen

stratostar  (Student)

Aug 17, 2011, 5:16 AM
Post #19 of 29 (1706 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JerryBaumchen] Para Commander question [In reply to] Can't Post

It dose help a lot Jerry when guys like you speak up, helps other to dust off the brain cells. I forgot about the long sleeves, your correct about that non stow section in the crown area. Once you posted that, it made me recall packing one in a collection a few years ago..... it was the only one in the collection too. There is a shit load of extra sleeve up there to S fold.

Sleeves are nice, but POD's are easier to close.

JimCone  (D 582)

Aug 20, 2011, 3:40 PM
Post #20 of 29 (1650 views)
Shortcut

The line used to attach the sleeve should be as long as the sleeve. I would guess the one you are using is shorter than that?
I second the recommendation to make sure the crown lines are stowed tightly.

stratostar  (Student)

Aug 20, 2011, 6:39 PM
Post #21 of 29 (1630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JimCone] Para Commander question [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I would guess the one you are using is shorter than that?
Quote:

On what? My sleeves all have the sleeve extraction line and the bridal line to the PC, yes..... but not on my POD's or D-bag'ed PC's.

JimCone  (D 582)

Aug 20, 2011, 7:10 PM
Post #22 of 29 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Re: "On What"

A sleeve.

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Aug 21, 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #23 of 29 (1600 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jim,

So are you the same Jim Cone who used to jump at Issaquah and that the last time I saw him was at a meet at Antioch?

JerryBaumchen
D-1543

JimCone  (D 582)

Aug 21, 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #24 of 29 (1595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JerryBaumchen] Para Commander question [In reply to] Can't Post

Jerry,
Sounds like you have the right Jim Cone.
I moved to California from Washington in 1970 and pretty much retired from jumping - bad back, bad arm, new wife, new job.
Still have original packing manual for the PC - like new except I wrote my name on it.
If PC's beome popular again, maybe there will be some value to it.<g> I see bell bottom pants (ugh) are coming back into fashion.
'---
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
(free and commercial excel programs)

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Aug 21, 2011, 6:21 PM
Post #25 of 29 (1570 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jim,

You should scan the Owner's Manual & paste it here; there a fair number of folks that would be interested in a copy ( I think Crazy ).

JerryBaumchen

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Skydiving History & Trivia

Search for (options)