Forums: Skydiving: Instructors:
Odd little things

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Jul 18, 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2272 views)
Shortcut
Odd little things Can't Post

late last year, I'm riding through a Cat B opening (I'm on the reserve side)

clean opening and student lifts up. I go to release the leg strap and, whooosh, there goes my glove

out front after landing, the student walks up - there's the glove, neatly tucked under the leg strap

it's weird what little things stick with you

anyone?

Scrumpot  (D License)

Jul 18, 2011, 11:13 AM
Post #2 of 17 (2220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rehmwa] Odd little things [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw the exact same thing... identically - just last weekend. Student walking into the hangar and - THERE IT IS!! Cool

propacker  (D 15030)

Jul 18, 2011, 1:37 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2141 views)
Shortcut

sounds like a really good reason not to wear a ring while skydiving!!
Unsure

peek  (D 8884)

Jul 18, 2011, 1:45 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2137 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
it's weird what little things stick with you, anyone?

Years ago, when most rigs had riser covers with Velcro...

A friend had a reserve ride, and when we picked her up from the field, she commented about throwing her cutaway handle away.

"You did?", we asked her, (as we pointed out the handle stuck to her riser cover.)

(This post was edited by peek on Jul 18, 2011, 1:47 PM)

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Jul 18, 2011, 3:55 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2091 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

clean opening and student lifts up. I go to release the leg strap and, whooosh, there goes my glove

out front after landing, the student walks up - there's the glove, neatly tucked under the leg strap

anyone?

Funny, my reserve side instructor found his glove in my leg strap after my first and second AFF jumps - in 1985.

BrianM  (D 661)

Jul 19, 2011, 11:29 AM
Post #6 of 17 (1924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [propacker] Odd little things [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Unsure

Do a Google Images search for ring avulsion (warning: graphic images) and you'll see why I never jump with rings.

PiLFy  (A License)

Jul 19, 2011, 2:12 PM
Post #7 of 17 (1886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BrianM] Odd little things [In reply to] Can't Post

So THAT'S why they told that tandem girl to take all her rings off. Eweee, dat B gruesome.

fasted3  (D 30104)

Jul 19, 2011, 4:59 PM
Post #8 of 17 (1866 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
Unsure

Do a Google Images search for ring avulsion (warning: graphic images) and you'll see why I never jump with rings.

I don't either, and I take it off for other things too. I already had those pics in my mind when I made the decision. It looks pretty much like I thought. Graphic, but worth it, if it wakes anybody up.
One more: I heard of a guy that shorted out a gold ring on a car battery. It welded itself in place and he only got free when it melted. Ouch!

Abedy  (D 10153)

Jul 20, 2011, 9:03 AM
Post #9 of 17 (1775 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Ouch, gruesome pics.
However, I've jumped with my wedding ring for ~1500 jumps without any incident. I attribute the lack of any incidents to two facts:
1) The ring was a little too big for the ring finger hence I resorted to the stinky^T middle finger - for which the ring is slightly too small so that it doesn't "bulge" out. Me growing a little more subcutaneous fatty tissue within the last 28 years also had its share Wink (No, I'm not fat, still BMI of 23 Cool)
2) I always wear gloves. Even on very hot days.
But it's never too late to reconsider things.

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Jul 20, 2011, 1:55 PM
Post #10 of 17 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [propacker] Odd little things [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Unsure

skydiving and rock climbing - I don't wear my ring

skyrider  (D 14710)

Jul 21, 2011, 4:38 PM
Post #11 of 17 (1628 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

anyone?

I've twice seen reserve side kicked in the face because of that momentary sticking!

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Jul 22, 2011, 7:44 AM
Post #12 of 17 (1574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skyrider] Odd little things [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I've twice seen reserve side kicked in the face because of that momentary sticking!

Funny - Actually, I mean weird little memories that stick with me, not actually my old crappy loose gloves sticking to the student.....

Baksteen  (C 708753)

Jul 25, 2011, 12:33 AM
Post #13 of 17 (1495 views)
Shortcut

A fellow student of mine was fined twelve euros for losing his ripcord. He didn't agree with the fine and payed grudgingly...only to land on top of the ripcord he'd lost when he made his next jump.

He almost RAN to manifest in order to reclaim the fineLaugh

ufk22  (D 16168)

Jul 25, 2011, 6:29 AM
Post #14 of 17 (1452 views)
Shortcut

About ten years ago, maybe 15.
Busy student day at the DZ, packing after a working with a student, quick formation load (C182 lead, C296 trail).
I'm last out of the trail 206.
As I'm moving forward, I hear a seatbet buckle bouncing off the side of the plane, know that the pilot won't be able to reach it, don't want it smacking the paint all the way down.
I'm focused on grabbing it and bringing it inside as I made my turn at the door. The pilot said my rig hit his seat so hard it almost threw him through the windshield, but I never felt it.
I dive and see a mess of lines over my left shoulder, think "no, I didn't really see that", look over my right shoulder and.....
yes, I have a horseshoe.
Throw my pilot chute immediately, now I'm upright looking at a bag lock.
I grab both handles, pull the cutaway, get belly to earth with my hand on the reserve ripcord, look down and...
The formation is building about 200 feet below me, about 50" horizontal, my slot is right there, perfect angle for a swoop.
I'll always remember that view and the fact that I actually paused and thought making that swoop.
Stronger memory than the whole horseshoe thing.

theonlyski  (D License)

Jul 25, 2011, 6:33 AM
Post #15 of 17 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ufk22] Odd little things [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Busy student day at the DZ, packing after a working with a student, quick formation load (C182 lead, C296 trail).
As I'm moving forward, I hear a seatbet buckle bouncing off the side of the plane, know that the pilot won't be able to reach it, don't want it smacking the paint all the way down.
I'm focused on grabbing it and bringing it inside as I made my turn at the door. The pilot said my rig hit his seat so hard it almost threw him through the windshield, but I never felt it.
I dive and see a mess of lines over my left shoulder, think "no, I didn't really see that", look over my right shoulder and.....
yes, I have a horseshoe.
I grab both handles, pull the cutaway, get belly to earth with my hand on the reserve ripcord, look down and...
The formation is building about 200 feet below me, about 50" horizontal, my slot is right there, perfect angle for a swoop.
I'll always remember that view and the fact that I actually paused and thought making that swoop.

Shoulda taken your dock with your cutaway handle in hand... That and the missing main from the container would've gotten some interesting looks.

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Jul 25, 2011, 8:08 AM
Post #16 of 17 (1430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] Odd little things [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Shoulda taken your dock with your cutaway handle in hand... That and the missing main from the container would've gotten some interesting looks.

Yup - If he's already at terminal by then, it doesn't matter then if you pull reserve at 5K or at 2K.

Else, I kinda like getting that reserve at while I'm faller slower to avoid the smack.

That, and adding separation from my main would suck.

(This post was edited by rehmwa on Jul 25, 2011, 10:39 AM)

ufk22  (D 16168)

Jul 25, 2011, 10:36 AM
Post #17 of 17 (1414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] Odd little things [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
yes, I have a horseshoe.

That's eactly what I was thinking about for about a second. How cool would this be....
Then I got over it and pulled the silver, followed my trash, and landed 5' from the freebag and 50' from the main.

Forums : Skydiving : Instructors

Search for (options)