Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Swooping and Canopy Control:
Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

phoenixlpr  (D 3049)

Jun 9, 2011, 11:35 AM
Post #1 of 26 (2760 views)
Shortcut
Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy? Can't Post

What is needed for that?
What copopy is adviced?
Any source to read about it?
Thanks!

Pendragon  (D 104102)

Jun 9, 2011, 3:59 PM
Post #2 of 26 (2687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phoenixlpr] Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure someone has probably D-bagged one... but in line with paragliders, their line sets and trim would not make any speedwing I can think of suitable for higher speed deployments.

LetsGoOutside  (D License)

Jun 9, 2011, 5:43 PM
Post #3 of 26 (2665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pendragon] Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm sure someone has probably D-bagged one... but in line with paragliders, their line sets and trim would not make any speedwing I can think of suitable for higher speed deployments.
Yeah, direct bag and lauches a la unpacked BASE have happened plenty, but none of the gear is meant to withstand opening shock.

Calvin19  (D 29712)

Jun 9, 2011, 6:35 PM
Post #4 of 26 (2650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phoenixlpr] Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have deployed several speed gliders from aircraft as well as several paragliders. An Ozone bullet works OK.

I have several ways of doing it, trash bagging works best, with a removable slider.

davelepka  (D 21448)

Jun 9, 2011, 6:59 PM
Post #5 of 26 (2636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Calvin19] Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I have deployed several speed gliders from aircraft as well as several paragliders

What sort of speeds are we talking here? You mention the trash bag technique, so should we assume that the deployments were all from jumprun speed? If so, what type of plane?

Also, how many deployments did you put on any one wing?

Calvin19  (D 29712)

Jun 9, 2011, 7:30 PM
Post #6 of 26 (2628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davelepka] Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy? [In reply to] Can't Post

one wing took 2 deployments then line anchors began to fail.

davelepka  (D 21448)

Jun 9, 2011, 7:44 PM
Post #7 of 26 (2624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Calvin19] Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy? [In reply to] Can't Post

No shit. I didn't think they could hold up to many deployments, but I would have guessed more than 2.

Martini  (D 23756)

Jun 9, 2011, 9:00 PM
Post #8 of 26 (2604 views)
Shortcut

How severe were the openings on YOU? Like 4 seconds slider down?

LetsGoOutside  (D License)

Jun 10, 2011, 9:39 AM
Post #9 of 26 (2491 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I have deployed several speed gliders from aircraft as well as several paragliders. An Ozone bullet works OK.

I have several ways of doing it, trash bagging works best, with a removable slider.
What did you use for a harness? My Ozone Atak wouldn't stand a chance.

Frankyspanky

Jun 16, 2011, 5:42 AM
Post #10 of 26 (2321 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Yep it is an icarus.

Speed wings are too flat and stiletto like (elliptical) for my liking. we learned that is not the best for speed a decade ago, but they will get there eventually.

They are good for no wind days and 'kids' hills, but you cannot beat the performance of a (decent) parachute.

As the paragliders get more and more used to actually going fast and steep, we will see the speed wings become more like high performance parachutes.

My speed flying wing is an Jyro (icarus) 105 for 1993 in mint condition, the speed flyers tell me it is tiny.

To me it feels quite big...?

and yes it is deployable....

Rigless

Jun 16, 2011, 8:55 AM
Post #11 of 26 (2290 views)
Shortcut

Wink
Attachments: Petra69 - Copy.jpg (81.0 KB)

AdD  (D License)

Jun 21, 2011, 5:06 PM
Post #12 of 26 (2185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Frankyspanky] Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Speed wings are too flat and stiletto like (elliptical) for my liking. we learned that is not the best for speed a decade ago, but they will get there eventually.

Sounds like you don't really have much experience speedflying a variety of sites and conditions. No offence intended but speedflying on a skydiving canopy is like base jumping your reserve. I don't want the newbies on here to get it in their heads that this is a good idea or that experienced speedflyers would recommend it, because they wouldn't.

superstu  (D License)

Jun 21, 2011, 6:55 PM
Post #13 of 26 (2163 views)
Shortcut

One of my teammates (Scott) has been doing a lot of "special projects" in regards to stuff like this. Here's a little video he just put together of his antics as of late. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KHNJJaDhD8

Calvin19  (D 29712)

Jun 22, 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #14 of 26 (2127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rigless] Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Wink [petra]

A full on, badass, ultimate speed and distance machine. Nick is freaking amazing on that thing. I hope I can fly one one day.

jjudd  (D 31065)

Jul 18, 2011, 9:20 PM
Post #15 of 26 (1898 views)
Shortcut

http://vimeo.com/16226960

This guy may be someone to talk to he sounds like hes been there and done that

Calvin19  (D 29712)

Jul 18, 2011, 9:25 PM
Post #16 of 26 (1894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jjudd] Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
http://vimeo.com/16226960

This guy may be someone to talk to he sounds like hes been there and done that

That guy is an idiot and no one should ever believe anything he says. that video is fake and photoshopped.

piisfish

Jul 19, 2011, 1:05 AM
Post #17 of 26 (1886 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
That guy is an idiot and no one should ever believe anything he says. that video is fake and photoshopped.
you say that because you are jealous you don't have his photoshop skillz Laugh

Calvin19  (D 29712)

Jul 19, 2011, 6:35 AM
Post #18 of 26 (1855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piisfish] Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Just pissed that he gets ALL the girls.

piisfish

Jul 19, 2011, 7:07 AM
Post #19 of 26 (1849 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Just pissed that he gets ALL the girls.
get a close shave, a wig and fake boobs then Angelic

jjudd  (D 31065)

Aug 25, 2011, 8:22 PM
Post #20 of 26 (1656 views)
Shortcut

Quote:

Photo shopped or not, i dont care. Why one would jump a speedflyer period from terminal or H&P is beyond be. Find it intriguing though if it were real and anyone that wants to push the sport/limits be my guest

jjudd  (D 31065)

Aug 25, 2011, 8:25 PM
Post #21 of 26 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jjudd] Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy? [In reply to] Can't Post

also how the f is he at 8000+ feet (altimeter and visual reference from the video) if he didnt jump from a plane? speedflyers dont exactly gain altitude in my recolection?

Calvin19  (D 29712)

Aug 25, 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #22 of 26 (1635 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
also how the f is he at 8000+ feet (altimeter and visual reference from the video) if he didnt jump from a plane? speedflyers dont exactly gain altitude in my recolection?

You obviously know nothing of dynamic soaring. Speed gliders are very capable of maintaining energy and stability through the abusive sheer layers required for dynamic soaring. The kid in the video (an idiot) is gaining altitude so fast he broke his paragliding variometer, so he borrowed a friends skydive altimeter. He launched from a grain silo in a tornado.

piisfish

Aug 26, 2011, 1:36 AM
Post #23 of 26 (1613 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
He launched from a grain silo in a tornado.
well, all I can say is that the idiot redneck pilot can fly Laugh

wildcard451  (D License)

Aug 26, 2011, 9:05 AM
Post #24 of 26 (1567 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

You obviously know nothing of dynamic soaring. Speed gliders are very capable of maintaining energy and stability through the abusive sheer layers required for dynamic soaring. The kid in the video (an idiot) is gaining altitude so fast he broke his paragliding variometer, so he borrowed a friends skydive altimeter. He launched from a grain silo in a tornado.

Calvin you owe me a new keyboard.

shropshire  (C License)

Aug 26, 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #25 of 26 (1556 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
He launched from a grain silo in a tornado.

There's no place like home....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Swooping and Canopy Control

Search for (options)