Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Swooping and Canopy Control:
understanding toggle pressure

jdfreefly  (D 24037)

May 15, 2011, 10:16 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1086 views)
Shortcut
understanding toggle pressure Can't Post

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks out there can weigh in here.

I'm in the midst of rehabbing from a shoulder injury, and I'm looking for something with a bit less toggle pressure than my 2.1 loaded velocity 103.

Any suggestions on canopies I should try?

What aspects of a canopy effect the toggle pressure (wing loading, shape etc..) and in which direction (increase/decrease)?

I did a jump on the velo yesterday and while I can flare it, I really think I need to switch to something easier while I get my strength back...either that or quit jumping.

jurgencamps  (D License)

May 16, 2011, 5:58 AM
Post #2 of 6 (973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdfreefly] understanding toggle pressure [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed that with the old line set on my Velo 90, the toggle pressure felt quite lower than with the new line set. My old brake lines were + 15 cm longer than the factory setting. After the reline, I had them on the factory setting and the pressure felt much heavier. I really felt the difference when flying in deep brakes.
I do not say that toggle pressure was lower, but it really felt like that. Probably the higher or lower arm position plays a role in this.

jdfreefly  (D 24037)

May 17, 2011, 8:23 AM
Post #3 of 6 (872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jurgencamps] understanding toggle pressure [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a bit obsessive about the length of the brake lines. Where I have it right now is right on the stall point. I'm sure if I lengthened them it would make it easier to flare, but I might not be able to stall it any longer.

bofh  (D 13995)

May 17, 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #4 of 6 (851 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I'm a bit obsessive about the length of the brake lines. Where I have it right now is right on the stall point. I'm sure if I lengthened them it would make it easier to flare, but I might not be able to stall it any longer.

Do you often stall your canopy?

jdfreefly  (D 24037)

May 17, 2011, 9:22 PM
Post #5 of 6 (805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bofh] understanding toggle pressure [In reply to] Can't Post

Short answer; yes.

Long answer; with my hands all the way up, the canopy is in full flight. When I pull on the front risers, the tail is not deflected. And if I hold a full extension flare for a second or two the canopy stalls. I think the brakes are set correctly and I'm not looking to muck with them just because I'm not at 100% right now.

I'm just looking for something to jump in the mean time while I build my strength back. I figured some input from the people that know more about the dynamics of canopy might help me figure out some good candidates.

jdfreefly  (D 24037)

May 21, 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #6 of 6 (718 views)
Shortcut

For those who may find this thread later and be looking for similar information...

I upsized from a velo 103 to a velo 111. The 111 had noticeably lighter pressure on the rears and toggles, but also had noticeably higher pressure on the fronts.

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Swooping and Canopy Control

Search for (options)