Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Javelin hard housings

12bhi

Mar 9, 2003, 2:31 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1771 views)
Shortcut
Javelin hard housings Can't Post

Do the newer javelins come standard with hard
cutaway housings?If so what year did they start this?

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Mar 9, 2003, 2:39 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [12bhi] Javelin hard housings [In reply to] Can't Post

They come with hard housings, getting soft housings takes jumping through a lot of hoops, and even then its a very slight chance of getting them. We have a guy at my DZ that perfers to jump soft housings and he's having issues fining a manufactor for a new rig. I know my 99 Jav has them.

12bhi

Mar 9, 2003, 2:47 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Javelin hard housings [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks PhreeSmile

Squeak  (E 1313)

Mar 9, 2003, 7:26 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1695 views)
Shortcut

My 93 J1 has Benix housings but I'm not sure if they were retro fitted, (i dont think so though)

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Mar 10, 2003, 8:04 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Squeak] Javelin hard housings [In reply to] Can't Post

Soft release housings were only manufactured for a few years (circa 1991 to 1995).
They were only available on a few rigs like: Flexon, '94 Talon, Javelin and Teardrop.
After that the better manufacturers standardized on hard housings.
Most rigs manufactured with soft housings have long since been up-dated with hard housings.

AndyMan  (D 25698)

Mar 10, 2003, 8:38 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] Javelin hard housings [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he's refering to the upper housing on his risers....

_Am

voodew1  (D 25988)

Mar 10, 2003, 6:41 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1550 views)
Shortcut

I may be wrong but I think javelins come with plastic housings in the risers not metal as metal can be pinched if for instance slammed in a car door making them not work. I think javelin only uses plastic housings, they could still be considered hard housings but they are not metal.

skycat  (D 25740)

Mar 10, 2003, 6:56 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [voodew1] Javelin hard housings [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
as metal can be pinched if for instance slammed in a car door making them not work.

I've heard this argument several times as why to not get metal riser housing. Can someone please tell me who is slamming their risers in their car doors? I can't beleive there is someone out there who cares so little about their gear. On wait nevermind, *shake head* I see way to much gear come threw our loft that looks like someone ran over it with a truck. Unsure

Kris  (D 26033)

Mar 10, 2003, 6:57 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1545 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
...as metal can be pinched if for instance slammed in a car door making them not work.

WTF? That falls under the heading of "Maintain Thy Gear". While your example, though really farfetched, is possible, it's not a good enough argument for plastic housings.

Now, the G-load tests that have been done on standard risers, risers with plastic inserts, and risers with metal inserts is a pretty good argument for metal.

Does anyone know what type of plastic they are using and what it ages like? Some plastics don't age well and can become brittle over time or with exposure to different substances / environments.

Kris

Hooknswoop  (D License)

Mar 10, 2003, 7:02 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
as metal can be pinched if for instance slammed in a car door making them not work

Do you have metal housings for your reserve rip cord and cutaway housings (in the harness/container)? By your argument, these same metal housings can be slammed in a car door,pinching the cable, causing an impossible cutaway/reserve pull. Would you want plastic housings for your reserve ripcord and cutaway housings?

If you subject your lifesaving gear to that much abuse, then jump it without insepction, you deserve what you get.......

Metal inserts are the way to go.

Hook

voodew1  (D 25988)

Mar 11, 2003, 3:49 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hooknswoop] Javelin hard housings [In reply to] Can't Post

Damn man I did the research and got the example off of Sun Paths web site. Just trying to help someone answer a question and everyone flames me. I say everyone use those arguements and call Javelin and have them use metal housings. And as for the plastic housings aging factor, plastic doesn't age well in UV light ie the sun, but not much sun will hit the housing as it is inclosed in the riser--now this is my take on the plastic aging so if someone wants to argue this one it is just what I think from what I know.

billbooth  (D 3546)

Mar 11, 2003, 6:18 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1480 views)
Shortcut

It's been 25 years since I started using the current metal housings for my 3-ring release, and never, not even once, has anyone ever sent me back a crushed housing for repair. This same crushed housing argument was used 25 years ago, only then it was against the 3-ring release itself. Metal housing inserts in your risers are the best way to go. But please make sure the upper end of the riser housings are capped off. If they are not, it is worse than using no housing inserts at all.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)