Forums: Skydiving: Wind Tunnels:
Looking into some tunnel time, few questions

hokierower  (B 36150)

Mar 13, 2011, 8:26 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Looking into some tunnel time, few questions Can't Post

I'm a student sitting in the middle of the AFF progression waiting to do my Lvl 4. This weekend was a no-go due to weather (winds & clouds) but I did get to chillax at the DZ and even had my first packing class taught by none other than Brian Germain! One of the things that I've been told is that the AFF progression this time of the year is hit-or-miss due to the weather and because of that I was thinking about getting some tunnel time under my belt. The nearest tunnel & most likely the cheapest to get to is SkyVenture Colorado meaning I have to pay just shy of $300 for a round trip ticket there. A couple of questions...

1. I have 3 jumps under my belt. How much tunnel time should I be looking at? 30min? 1 hour?

2. Should I have a coach for all of it? 2/3? 1/2?

3. Is it feasible to fly out early in the morning Sunday, get into Denver around 8ish, head straight to the tunnel, fly all day or so and then fly out Sunday night?

4. OR do I make a weekend out of it?

Any and all advice is welcome. This was something I was thinking about today while waiting for the clouds to clear.

(This post was edited by hokierower on Mar 13, 2011, 8:27 PM)

Muffie  (A License)

Mar 14, 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hokierower] Looking into some tunnel time, few questions [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only done tunnel time at the Colorado tunnel, but I think it's excellent, so good choice IMO.

I can't comment on how much time. Since you're coming from out of town you'll want to get what you can out of it so you'll probably do more time than I was doing since I was local which was 15 minutes each week.

Have a coach for all of it. I think there are one or two coaches from the tunnel on here who can give you some contacts, but if not PM me.

I wouldn't recommend just coming in on Sunday. The tunnel is pretty exhausting and if anything goes wrong with your flights you'd be screwed. I would recommend flying in late Friday, maybe getting in two fifteen minute sessions on Saturday and one on Sunday and then flying back.

If you contact the tunnel they should be able to point you to some cheap local hotels. It also may be just as cheap to get a rental car as taking Super Shuttle, depending on the deals that are on.

Enjoy! I did some tunnel time (2.5 hours) when I had about 30 jumps and it was an amazing difference when I jumped again.

skycamefalling  (A 58345)

Mar 23, 2011, 8:49 PM
Post #3 of 8 (878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hokierower] Looking into some tunnel time, few questions [In reply to] Can't Post

If you plan on doing 30 minutes or more in the tunnel, you should probably split it up in to 10 minute increments. The tunnel is pretty exhausting at first. If you are becoming tired in the tunnel, I would think that would hinder your learning ability. Maybe spend a weekend out there and do 10 min the first day and 20 min the next day. But space out the sessions on the second day a few hours apart so that you can regain some energy and focus.

hokierower  (B 36150)

Mar 27, 2011, 7:12 AM
Post #4 of 8 (808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skycamefalling] Looking into some tunnel time, few questions [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'm heading up there on to Denver April 22-24, flying out on Friday @ noon and flying back Sunday night. I'll do time friday, saturday, and sunday. I've got a coach and we'll be doing 2-3 minute blocks and then resting. I'm gonna be up there with a bunch of other people from the DZ. Should be a blast!

Go AFF 4 & 5 done yesterday!

skycamefalling  (A 58345)

Mar 27, 2011, 6:49 PM
Post #5 of 8 (772 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like a good time. There are plenty of good bars to drink at in Denver. Go check out the Tilted Kilt while you are there.

hokierower  (B 36150)

Mar 28, 2011, 6:11 AM
Post #6 of 8 (739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skycamefalling] Looking into some tunnel time, few questions [In reply to] Can't Post

I will definitely be doing some drinking after my tunnel time. I heard the area where the tunnel is located has got some pretty decent places to eat and drink. Doing 15min on Friday, 30min on Saturday, & 15min on Sunday, 2.5min rotations.

pilot-one  (D 30000)

Mar 28, 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #7 of 8 (697 views)
Shortcut

There will be many people from San Marcos and Houston that weekend. It should be fun.
One word to the wise though, go easy on the drinking. It's difficult enough to stay hydrated already and for your first time 1 hour is going to kick your ass.

hokierower  (B 36150)

Mar 29, 2011, 5:57 AM
Post #8 of 8 (680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pilot-one] Looking into some tunnel time, few questions [In reply to] Can't Post

But there's water in beer...right? Therefore, I should fill up a camelbak with shiner and that should keep me hydrated.

Forums : Skydiving : Wind Tunnels

Search for (options)