Forums: Archive: 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections:
Pacific Region Write In - James Dawson

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Nov 8, 2010, 7:50 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1440 views)
Shortcut
Pacific Region Write In - James Dawson Can't Post

Jim Dawson is a fun jumper, a 4 way competitor and a part time tandem master. He spends a lot of his own time and money giving back to the sport through coaching new belly fliers. He's a successful businessman in a non-skydiving related field. He's running a write-in campaign for RD in the Pacific region.

I'm not a USPA member anymore, so my opinion matters even less now than it did when I was a member. But here it is anyway - Jim Dawson is a far better choice for the position than the person listed on the ballot, for a large variety of reasons.

Do the Pacific Region a favor - write in James Dawson for RD!

riggerpaul  (D 28098)

Nov 8, 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1378 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skybytch] Pacific Region Write In - James Dawson [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
But here it is anyway - Jim Dawson is a far better choice for the position than the person listed on the ballot, for a large variety of reasons.

Do the Pacific Region a favor - write in James Dawson for RD!

Please post your reasons.

It doesn't really help me decide who to vote for without them.

I can't vote for someone I don't even know without a little more information.

Thanks!

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Nov 8, 2010, 11:36 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerpaul] Pacific Region Write In - James Dawson [In reply to] Can't Post

Jim holds instructional ratings, which means he has S&T experience - something the candidate on the ballot (the incumbent) lacks.

He doesn't talk down to other people. I won't post the PMs the incumbent sent to me in response to an opinion I expressed, but only because posting PMs is bad form. Rest assured they were less than professional and not at all what you would expect someone who is representing you to say to you.

Jim jumps at dropzones within the region other than his home dz on occasion, and will do so more often once elected - haven't seen the incumbent jumping at Byron or Lincoln or Davis once since he was appointed, have you?

Oh, and Jim wears his seat belt too.

ficus  (D 29186)

Nov 8, 2010, 1:12 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1343 views)
Shortcut

I've seen Craig at Byron within the last month. FWIW.

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Nov 8, 2010, 1:49 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ficus] Pacific Region Write In - James Dawson [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I've seen Craig at Byron within the last month. FWIW.

Yes, I chatted with him at the Byron boogie.

I'll echo Lisa's support of Jim (and since I am a USPA member my opinion matters ... well, not much eitherLaugh), but here 's why I'd vote for Jim.

I like the idea of Jim on the board for a lot of reasons. For one, he's just good people - I realize that doesn't necessarily qualify him for the board, but it does make him someone I like to see at the dropzone and someone I'd like be happy to have representing me on the board.

He's had exposure over several years to a number of aspects of the sport - instructing, organizing, coaching, and competing. It's a nice, broad perspective that would allow him to bring value to a number of areas of the board's purview.

He'll bring to the board a perspective that I think the board needs more of - the active weekend jumper. He's a level-headed, personable guy who's not into this for some kind of ego gratification, but I think to represent the region as best he can with the board.

(This post was edited by NWFlyer on Nov 8, 2010, 1:50 PM)

McGyver  (D 26636)

Nov 9, 2010, 1:10 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1271 views)
Shortcut

For those that don't know me, here's the "official" info.

James (Jim) Dawson
Age 49, Electrician/Project Manager
First Jump 1999, Total Jumps: 2900, Jumps past year: 200
License & Ratings:D-26636, Coach, Tandem Instructor
FS Competitor since 2004

I remember as a new skydiver, a few experienced folks taking me under their wing, so to speak, spending many of their weekends mentoring me, encouraging me in my pursuit of skill, knowledge and understanding of this amazing sport.

Fast forward 10 years Im now one of those experienced skydivers I looked up to in my skydiving youth. And although I am still growing and learning, its my turn to give back to this great community. As an instructor, coach and competitor, I am excited and honored to be a mentor to others!

I believe the freedom of our great sport demands that we all make safety our priority, knowledge our desire and the continual development of flying skills our passion. The longevity of our sport begs each of us to help new skydivers remain active. I am personally committed to be a positive influence in my community of skydivers and to promote the sport of skydiving in a positive light to the communities in our region.

If elected:
I will work to understand the challenges faced by DZs and skydivers in the Pacific region.
I will encourage all skydivers to make safety a priority not only in the Pacific region but throughout the entire skydiving community.
I will challenge DZs in the Pacific region to ensure the new skydiver does not slip through the cracks.

I look forward to serving and I appreciate your support.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now for a less formal statement.

Im sure some of you are wonderingwho is this guy and what is his agenda?
I asked myself the same question. Ive given it some thought and here it is. I dont have an agenda. Say what? you say.
What I have is this.I absolutely love skydiving! Some might say Im addicted. My wife says Im obsessed. Call it what you will, but I love this sport.

As I said earlier, I dont have an agenda. What I have to offer is this. I want to hear from you, my friends in the Pacific Region. I want to know, what are the skydiving issues you are concerned about?

I can outline an agenda aimed at any number of issues, but if they are not the issues that are important to skydivers in the Pacific region, then why am I asking you to elect me to represent you? Of course I have issues that are important to me.

Safety I want to go home to my wife at the end of a rippin good day of skydiving with my friends! So I take personal responsibility for my actions from the time I climb into that aircraft to the last step of my landing. I dont believe it is the responsibility of the USPA, the DZO / DZM, or even other skydivers to make sure I skydive safely. Its a personal responsibility. Does that mean we dont look out for each other? That we should not say something when we notice safety compromised? Absolutely not!

A couple issues currently at the forefront of many discussions and a concern of mine as well:

Canopy Progression Whats the rush?
Canopy Piloting We are not alone up there.

These are issues we all need to take seriously and work together cooperatively to establish some practical guidelines, demand accountability and expect positive results.

Formation Skydiving and Coaching For me, nothing is more fun than 4-way with my team, Kaleidoscope. Its hard work. Its sometimes blood, sweat and tears. (From laughing our asses off) It is without a doubt, one of the most rewarding things Ive ever been involved in.
Coaching skydivers, new and not so new, is also hard work and very rewarding. I am privileged to jump at a DZ where the management partners with my teammates and I, in an effort to help new skydivers make the transition from student status to skydiving with others in a safe and organized environment. I will continue to jump with new skydivers and help them on their journey and welcome them to the family. Anyone want to do some 4-way?

There are many issues that need to be dealt with and just as many opinions on how to go about dealing with them. I look forward to hearing from you. Send me a message. Lets get to know each other better and lets work together to make USPA work for us.

See you around the dropzone!

Jim

mpreil  (D 17822)

Nov 11, 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1212 views)
Shortcut

The current RD, Craig Stapleton, has trained more jumpers in CRW and canopy survival than any skydiver I know. He will take anybody up to learn CRW. He taught me when I had 100 jumps, and I've seen him train similar newbies 20 years later. Show me another jumper with that many national and world medals who has spent that many years sharing what he knows with others and I'll vote for him as well.

The main criticism of Craig is that he jumps at a "non-USPA' drop zone. Guess what? It may not be a USPA Group Member DZ, but lots of people there have a lot of years in USPA. Don't confuse the USPA GM program - which is basically a trade association of DZOs - with USPA as a representative body looking out for the individual skydiver.

Craig represents jumpers. That's why he has my vote.

collinb  (D 1307)

Nov 18, 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1148 views)
Shortcut

Jim has my vote for a bunch of reasons, many already mentioned above.

the key ones for me are safety and "weekend jumper" there are just not enough people on the board who do that and I know Jim will represent me in these two critical areas.

As many of you know I'm a transplant from the UK and I spent 3 years on the UK Board back in the 70s and believe me the issues where NOT that different back then and the composite of the Board was similar to what we have now - DZOs and "professional" skydivers . I eventually quit to move to the US but I can tell you the "weekend skydiver " view was not that present back then and I see and hear that about todays US Board!

Yes I am a team mate with Jim so somewhat biased, but that wouldn't change my opinion.

Vote for Jim Dawson and do the WHOLE of the skydiving a favor not just the Pacific Region.

Forums : Archive : 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)