Forums: Archive: 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections:
Very disappointed with candidate statements.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ozzy13  (D 29344)

Nov 5, 2010, 8:42 AM
Post #26 of 40 (1253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gary73] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

First off with on line voting this year. I think the election is pretty much done.

Second I think to ask any candidate in a online forum what they want to do and how are the going to do it is silly. From what I've seen on here, it doesn't matter what any candidate says ,Its wrong.

I noticed in this election and in the last one that National Directors that are in already in dont really come on here and sure as hell dont open up themselves in a post. DZ.com is a joke when it comes to stuff like this. Their is always someone picking apart your words. I also noticed from on here if you talking about change ur pretty much done and not getting elected.

Well the way I see it is if you dont like the way something is then get of ur own ass and do something about it.

(This post was edited by ozzy13 on Nov 5, 2010, 8:45 AM)

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 5, 2010, 9:27 AM
Post #27 of 40 (1239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ozzy13] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Jerry,

"I think the election is pretty much done." Remember that you're addressing a group of people who don't start gearing up until they hear the "now call". We're only 5 days into a 61-day voting period. I doubt that even 10% of the votes are in yet.

You and several others keep saying that candidates shouldn't tell us what they plan to do if they're elected. This is totally beyond my comprehension; it's like asking us to put on a rig without doing a gear check or having any idea what's in it. But okay, if we're not supposed to base our choices on candidates' platforms, what criteria should we use?

If candidates are afraid of questions and criticisms, then they're applying for the wrong job. A leader has to lead.

Oh, and if candidates don't want change, then why are they running at all?

As for doing something about it, that's exactly what I did by starting this thread. I don't like the fact that very few candidates are revealing their plans so I'm challenging them to do so. What more can I do? My (as yet uncast) vote can only influence 9 of the 22 BOD positions; this thread had a chance of influencing all of them. Needless to say, I haven't been pleased with the results.

Take care,
Gary

Southern_Man  (C License)

Nov 5, 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #28 of 40 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gary73] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not voted and I am anxious for more of the candidates to share their platforms. I am a newcomer to the sport and am still trying to figure out what all the issues are and who to best entrust to help fix those. I don't know the players and their histories or agendas. I'm trying to do my research and am going to talk to the experienced people at my dropzone before voting. That means that my vote is still very much up for grabs. I'm sure there are a lot of others like me.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Nov 5, 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #29 of 40 (1195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Southern_Man] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ozzy does have a point in that candidates can't really win, but if you're gonna put yourself out there...people deserve to know what you stand for.
Were I running, I'd run on a platform of educational development, some marginal reform, and do my best to recognize the "young aggressive breed" that is coming into the sport, and attempting to discover methods that would encourage their creative sense while maintaining some concept of gradual process.
People are learning faster than ever, and sometimes that book knowledge gets confused with physical ability. We need to encourage and stimulate the book knowledge while finding better methods of applying it to the physical activity.
I'd likely stand against the "RedBull mentality" that wants to exit an aircraft and deploy at 300' over a stadium.
I'd also work hard to promote skydiving in film, television, education, UGC sites like YouTube and similar to stimulate more first jump courses and tandem jumps. I think a program I've helped develop for a large DZ has proven that it's a valuable tool. USPA desperately needs to learn to use the web more efficiently. The online voting is an awesome step forward, however!

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Nov 5, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #30 of 40 (1169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Douglas,

I've been thinking about this for a few days now: I am going to write you in for ND.

I only hope a lot of other people will also.

JerryBaumchen

PS) It may be a wasted vote but I've done that before. Crazy

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Nov 5, 2010, 3:38 PM
Post #31 of 40 (1163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JerryBaumchen] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi Douglas,

I've been thinking about this for a few days now: I am going to write you in for ND.

I only hope a lot of other people will also.

JerryBaumchen

PS) It may be a wasted vote but I've done that before. Crazy

Well there will be two of them then.

Matt

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Nov 5, 2010, 6:30 PM
Post #32 of 40 (1136 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
As for mentoring and monitoring new AFF-Is, yes, that's necessary, but is already the domain of the S&TA and Chief Instructor.

Gary, where is that documented?
I can find no references to S&TA duties that include activities for mentoring and monitoring AFFIs at any level.

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Nov 5, 2010, 6:37 PM
Post #33 of 40 (1133 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Southern_Man] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I am a newcomer to the sport and am still trying to figure out what all the issues are and who to best entrust to help fix those. I don't know the players and their histories or agendas.

And therein lies the problem. If candidates aren't talking, well.....

Hell, I could throw my name into the hat with:

I like to take long walks on the beach and have candlelight dinners with blonds with big boobs. I'll try to put a blond on every dinner table. Please vote for me for National Director.

How's that?
Shocked

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 5, 2010, 6:41 PM
Post #34 of 40 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [popsjumper] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sold! But maybe you should start as a Regional Director. Wouldn't want you to run out of blondes. Wink

(This post was edited by Gary73 on Nov 5, 2010, 7:03 PM)

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 5, 2010, 7:01 PM
Post #35 of 40 (1123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [popsjumper] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
As for mentoring and monitoring new AFF-Is, yes, that's necessary, but is already the domain of the S&TA and Chief Instructor.

Gary, where is that documented?
I can find no references to S&TA duties that include activities for mentoring and monitoring AFFIs at any level.

Andy,

That's more tradition than anything else. The position of Chief Instructor isn't recognized by USPA and doesn't even exist at a lot of dropzones.

All too often the DZO takes on both of those jobs, which means that he's usually too busy to do any of his jobs well. On the other hand, that eliminates the oversight function that's part of the S&TA's reason for existence, which is usually the DZO's goal. If I'm ever dumb enough to be a DZO I hope I'm smart enough to have an S&TA who's brave enough to tell me when I'm about to put profit ahead of safety.

ozzy13  (D 29344)

Nov 6, 2010, 5:57 AM
Post #36 of 40 (1093 views)
Shortcut

[reply
You and several others keep saying that candidates shouldn't tell us what they plan to do if they're elected. This is totally beyond my comprehension; it's like asking us to put on a rig without doing a gear check or having any idea what's in it. But okay, if we're not supposed to base our choices on candidates' platforms, what criteria should we use?I dont think I said that at all. I would love to hear from the candidates. I just know I wont. Maybe a few new candidates that are trying to get in but for the most part I wont. Just want I noticed the past couple years.

airtwardo  (D License)

Nov 10, 2010, 9:31 AM
Post #37 of 40 (1009 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
I am a newcomer to the sport and am still trying to figure out what all the issues are and who to best entrust to help fix those. I don't know the players and their histories or agendas.

And therein lies the problem. If candidates aren't talking, well.....

Hell, I could throw my name into the hat with:

I like to take long walks on the beach and have candlelight dinners with blonds with big boobs. I'll try to put a blond on every dinner table. Please vote for me for National Director.

How's that?
Shocked

But Andy, even THAT platform doesn't really answer the simple questions any and all thinking voters should be asking of their candidates~

~What 'specifically' do you want to change?

~Why 'specifically' do you want to change it?

~What 'specifically' do you want to change it to?

~How 'specifically' do you plan to implement that change.

~How 'specifically' will that change benefit the organization overall?

~How 'specifically' can we measure those changes to insure they are effective?

Some candidates give ya crickets, some ya can't shut up...vote accordingly.

~ if you go only on name recognition maybe ya shouldn't vote at all! Wink

REMEMBER~ we always get the 'governing body' we ask for. Sly

Premier TomNoonan  (D 24313)
Nov 10, 2010, 7:23 PM
Post #38 of 40 (967 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gary,

Here is my agenda for the upcoming term if I am elected:

1) Continue to fix the instructional ratings process. I was able to begin that process in the last term and I have asked the membership to vote for me as National Director in this term so that I may continue to do so. I cannot tell you how many phone calls and emails I have fielded over the last two years from USPA instructors that are appalled by the current level of performance being exhibited in the field by some instructors and worse, by some I/E's in the field. (I even get videos sent to me in the mail of dives gone bad and course eval jumps that aren't up to a standard.) There is a problem out there right now, it's not just my opinion, it appears to be the majority consensus of the instructors and I/Es I come into contact with in the field. I don't pretend to have all the answers though. I have some ideas of what needs to be done, but I spend most of my energy on this topic consulting a varied group of industry experts, both as instructors and I/Es, and then apply all of that at the Safety and Training meetings at the BOD meeting.

To answer how will you get it done? The answer is that I am vocal at the meetings, in committee and in front of the full board. No one person can change anything on the BOD, it takes a majority vote of directors to change anything, but if you look at the wingsuit BSR I got passed as an example, anyone who was there will tell you that some on the board were very reluctant to add a BSR and I got up in both committee and in front of the full board and made it clear that we had a responsibility to our members to address the problem that was before us, and it worked. In the first straw poll vote, the BSR probably wouldn't have passed, but after I stood up for the membership (and asked DSE to do the same), we got the BSR passed, and to date since then, no one has died on a wingsuit jump with under 200 jumps. That is how I will change the rating structure process that the membership wants to see happen, I will politic for it and I will fight for it.

2) Finance and Budget: I don't really want to change anything here, I am on the committee and my agenda if elected as a ND is to continue to apprentice Doc Lee and learn as much from him as I can, so that someday when he wants to step down as the Chair of F&B, I can assume that role if appointed. Doc does so much work for the membership as the Chair of F&B, and I want to follow in his foot steps someday, and given my finance background, I believe that I can do that.

3) I have always advocated the need for growing the sport, and I see it being accomplished in two ways. Sport Promotion being one and simply retaining more of the first time jumpers that patronize our dropzones being the other.

For Sport Promotion, we need more joint effort and transparency between the BOD and USPA. Scott Smith has been heading a task force in that area at the meetings and I believe that the BOD as a whole can provide him (and his USPA counterpart) more support. My agenda would be to bridge the gap between the two groups through meetings and this would be an area where an USPA internal forum would work well I think.

As for retaining more students, I have a plan for that, but I apologize, I cannot share it at the moment as it's still a sensitive work in progress. I have been working on a project that approaches the problem from a new direction, one that hasn't been looked at before in detail. The concept will be rolled out at PIA at the DZO conference, in a seminar and then go live in March. It won't change the world, but it will be a positive change in the right direction.

And lastly, I want to see you and everyone else that feels the BOD is not the approachable body that it should be get the communication level you deserve. I want to increase the level of communication between the membership and the BOD. My agenda for this is simply that what I hear most at the meetings is "How do we know the majority of the membership wants XYZ....." If communication increases, that knowledge will increase as well, and with online voting now possible, it may be possible to truly grasp majority membership opinions on issues. As for how I will accomplish this: If I am elected as a National Director, as soon as our President is voted in (the first action of the new board), I will ask that during our first meeting, the President set aside time for a BOD Communication Workshop. A workshop I will lead which will consist of forum education, email education and address the communication concerns voiced in this and other threads on the topic. Perhaps we can create a communication matrix for incoming BOD members?

USPA has other pressing issues, but from my perspective, those are the ones I want to focus on most.

I readily admit I have an agenda. I want to finish what I believe I started in the last term. A move in the right direction for instructional rating reform.

Please feel free to call me or email if you have any questions.

stratostar  (Student)

Nov 10, 2010, 8:21 PM
Post #39 of 40 (960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomNoonan] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your open door policy of communication with members is one of the main reasons you got my vote. You have always taken time to return calls and emails and most important of all you will listen to a member and then offer your help or work to find a win win for everyone. (not always possible, but you bust your ass and try)

I know who on the BOD returns emails and calls and those are the ones who got my vote.

Thanks Tom for your service to the members.

(This post was edited by stratostar on Nov 10, 2010, 8:22 PM)

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 11, 2010, 9:55 AM
Post #40 of 40 (922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomNoonan] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom,

Thanks for communicating your agenda to us.

WRT the instructional rating process, I think that the standards laid out in the IRM are clear and reasonable. I can say that none of the Examiners whom I've worked with are too easy on their candidates, but others may be. Perhaps more oversight is necessary, but I'm not sure how that would be accomplished. Any ideas?

As for what happens in the field, I suspect that the real problem is that DZOs, S&TAs, and Chief Instructors don't enforce the standards that they know they should. That gets back to the same issue of dropzone culture that I think contributes so much to canopy accidents. Again, how can USPA improve that?

Thanks,
Gary

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)