Abbie Mashaal for National Director

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

cornishe  (D 28392)

Nov 2, 2010, 9:05 PM
Post #1 of 76 (4758 views)
Shortcut
Abbie Mashaal for National Director Can't Post

Hello all,

Abbie Mashaal here, a relatively new kid on the block, average joe parachutist, and DZO of a small 182 dropzone in Twin Falls, Idaho.

Here's my bio which you'll see at USPA.org or in your Parachutist magazine. 250 Words is difficult to describe yourself in, but it's a start. I'll be more than happy elaborate and answer questions you have here in an open forum.

Cya!

Drop Zone Owner
First jump: 2001
Total jumps: 1,100
Jumps past year: 200
Licenses and ratings: A-43709, B-26579, C-34496, D-28392, Coach, IAD I, Tandem I, PRO, Senior Rigger, Pilot ASEL, USHGPA Paragliding P-4, T-1, BASE 1014, NBASE 152, El Cap #791
Awards: 4-Stack, 8-Stack, CCS

Before Abbie jumped full time into parachuting, he ran an engine parts business for his father, then became a tech-sector entrepreneur who built retail-business computer systems, networks and point-of-sale equipment, and designed database and web applications for national and multinational corporations.

Abbie now owns Snake River Skydiving and Splatula Rigging in Twin Falls, Idaho, where he also serves as Senior Rigger, tandem, IAD and wingsuit instructor, videographer and serious CReWdog (bronze medal, 2009 Nationals). He also paraglides, speed flies, BASE jumps regularly at nearby Perrine Bridge and flies his own Cessna 182.

Abbie recently moved his DZ to a bigger, better, towered airport by working in concert with USPA HQ to create a consensus coalition of other airport businesses, airport management and city officials. He routinely interfaces with city leaders to improve the already good relationship between local residents and the jumping community, and is running for the USPA Board so he can share his demonstrated leadership ability on a larger scale:

ĹParachutists and DZs should make their own decisions about their jumping and their business in their states. We should minimize new regulations and convince FAA to apply to parachuting its current aircraft, airshow and experimental equipment category rules; jumpers should be able to do low-altitude demos and jump personal homebuilt gear just like pilots can. And I would revisit Group Membership for wind tunnels, and why USPA supports businesses that do not use parachutes, because every dollar spent in a tunnel is one less dollar spent on parachuting!ĺ

michalm21  (Student)

Nov 3, 2010, 9:50 AM
Post #2 of 76 (4648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cornishe] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry no vote for you, you should stick to your tandem base operation Pirate
also, while we are at it - why do you fly jumpers on your dz without having a commercial pilot's license?

(This post was edited by michalm21 on Nov 3, 2010, 10:51 AM)

cornishe  (D 28392)

Nov 3, 2010, 3:21 PM
Post #3 of 76 (4592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michalm21] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Michal,

I read a lot of hate in your message here.

Tandem BASE is surely being stuck to. Thanks for the encouragement! Tree, Chuma, and myself are working diligently and excited about the 2011 season.

You surely would have been against tandem skydiving when it was new. Probably against wingsuits when DaKine and other were experimenting with them. And surely square parachutes were going to kill everyone. You know you needed 100 round jumps before being 'allowed' to jump a square.

When you're ready to learn how to BASE Jump, we won't hold this negativity against you and can take you on a tandem jump.

What I really read here is what i think is a direction that is a problem with skydiving. I don't require you to jump the way I do, but somehow you expect others to be restricted to your limits. Rethink your position and stop spreading hate.

I am usually against regulation being the answer to a problem. Allow adults to make adult decisions for themselves- whether that's the jumper, the instructor, or the DZO.

cya!

-a

stratostar  (Student)

Nov 3, 2010, 5:35 PM
Post #4 of 76 (4559 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
ĹParachutists and DZs should make their own decisions about their jumping and their business in their states. We should minimize new regulations and convince FAA to apply to parachuting its current aircraft, airshow and experimental equipment category rules; jumpers should be able to do low-altitude demos and jump personal homebuilt gear just like pilots can.

No hate here, but the above info is the main reason you didn't get a vote from me. We have way bigger issues to deal with in regards to the FAA in terms of airport access and skydivers dying under working parachutes to operators who flaunt their bad MX in the industry and bringing down the heat on all operators.

As the current FAR's stand now if you want jump a bed sheet or bail out @ 50 ft have at it the FAA could care less as long as you don't endanger people or property on the ground when you do it. The USPA dose not need some new BOD pushing some lame off the wall agenda and undoing years of good work to have us where we are today in regards to how the FAA sees the USPA today. The USPA has been able to keep a lot of crap in the last couple years from coming down on us because they are respected, we have enough people in the ranks trying to undermine the industry as it is.

Your time would have been better spent showing how you got other airport users to support your use of a towered airport and how you got those other businesses to welcome you.

As for base jumping, well that is all cool and all that but it has no business being a part of USPA or sport parachuting, mainly due to the stupid actions of a few morons over the years (ELcap) and those who still continue to do stupid shit like jumping out of airplanes with wingsuits and hitting a bridge in front of a lot of people while using a base rig, that is shinning a big huge spot light on sport skydiving in the FAA ranks because an airplane was used to do it, and we just don't need any of that shit being tied to USPA or skydiving.

(This post was edited by stratostar on Nov 3, 2010, 8:38 PM)

michalm21  (Student)

Nov 3, 2010, 6:34 PM
Post #5 of 76 (4539 views)
Shortcut

Abbie, no hate here,perhaps my reply was too snarky but you are not the type of a responsible individual I'd like to see in the office leading the USPA.
Also BASE has nothing to do with it, it's dorkzone not basehumper dot com. And FYI, I am a BASE jumper but thanks for your offer, I woulnt want you to teach me anyway.

(This post was edited by michalm21 on Nov 3, 2010, 6:36 PM)

cornishe  (D 28392)

Nov 3, 2010, 7:31 PM
Post #6 of 76 (4522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

Strat, I appreciate your views and the way you presented them.

I don't know what 'MX' means but I get your point!

I had an opportunity this year to work on a Hollywood production that you will all see next year and probably saw home video of from Chicago locals. I was a parachute rigger along with 4 others and a team of jumpers were making some fantastic wingsuit flights through the city out of aircraft (as well as buildings). The openings were well below the BSRs and were sanctioned by the FAA. FAA inspectors were on the scene and enjoyed being a part of it.

There's nothing 'bad MX' about it or was their any heat. In fact, I'll bet once this blockbuster sequel comes out next year you will see new students show up at the DZ as a direct result.

As far as BASE Jumping goes, associating it with the USPA is about the last thing I ever want to do. I think its quite clear I'm in favor of education over regulation. I listed it, just as the other nylon and aviation related activities, to let people know a little of what defines me. Michal21 decided to bring up my new ventre, and that's fine.

Things like low pull wingsuit demos are exciting and proven with proper equipment and professional pilots. It exactly parallels low altitude aerobatics in front of (but not over) a crowd.

We vote for 8 national directors and I think my position as 1 of 8 is a valid voice to have on the board. The USPA will not change overnight nor will much change in just a 2 year term. If we want to promote our sport more though we must show the public what is possible.

Again I appreciate your opinion, and while you didn't vote for me, I'm glad that you did in fact vote (another problem right now is member apathy).

I leave tomorrow for an Elk hunt but when I get back, I'll write up a post with some more detail about how I, with some ammunition from Randy Ottinger at USPA, was able to not only move to class D airspace but also have a wonderful relationship with everyone on the field. There are skydiving pictures even up on one of the main terminal walls!

Cya!

stratostar  (Student)

Nov 3, 2010, 8:24 PM
Post #7 of 76 (4498 views)
Shortcut

Abbie,

Thanks for the reply, I would enjoy reading more about your move to class D and how you won over the other airport users and businesses. FYI MX is what your A&P should be doing, working on your aircraft.....

Not sure I saw any Chi-town footage, that is great you all got the FAA to approve of your stuff, that is doing it the right way and if it went wrong you had duck in a row and approval to do so,

Good luck in your hunt & voting count.

(This post was edited by stratostar on Nov 3, 2010, 8:32 PM)

lifewithoutanet

Nov 3, 2010, 9:24 PM
Post #8 of 76 (4475 views)
Shortcut

Abbie,
You have my vote, but you knew that already. Firsthand knowledge of what you've done with your drop zone in Jerome, and now in Twin, and how you've worked with local authorities and the chamber of commerce speak volumes of what you could do elsewhere.
Hell, I fall into the apathy category when it comes to the USPA. But a little more personal responsibility and evolution in the sport based upon what's capable now versus what's been put in place or enforced and is simply the status quo...well, again...that's change that I'll vote for.
-C.

Gaper  (D 420)

Nov 3, 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #9 of 76 (4457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lifewithoutanet] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

Abbie, Thanks for running. We need parachutists running the US parachute A. ( it's not the US skydiving A) I'm confident using "common sense" you'll direct our organization up the right path. You have my vote.

blitzkrieg

Nov 3, 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #10 of 76 (4450 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gaper] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

Abbie, you have my vote as well. I've seen, first hand, your great ability to work with public figures and authorities successfully over the years. The new DZ is only a small testament to that quality. You are definitely a person of intellect with a strong desire to help move things in a positive and fresh direction. I think this is something the USPA could strongly benefit from. I think in conjunction with some of the other candidates running, we will get a powerful and positive change in our organization. Good luck buddy!

~E

extremeshannon  (D 26454)

Nov 3, 2010, 11:20 PM
Post #11 of 76 (4442 views)
Shortcut

Abbie you have my vote. I have known you for years and your passion for the sport is seen every day. I have been working for you when I have the time and coming down just to hang out. I think you will bring a great voice to USPA and you are not a lemming. We need more people to shake the tree and make USPA what is should be. We have small dropzones that do not want to be a group member because of some old politics and people. I think everyone should vote and some of the folks that have been directors for a long time should be replaced with fresh blood. Been in Twin Falls at the new locale and seeing everyone welcome you to the airport is truly awesome. I have put the word out to my friends in da AK to vote for you. Good luck See you soon.

mvidovic  (D License)

Nov 4, 2010, 5:19 AM
Post #12 of 76 (4413 views)
Shortcut

If you keep posting on the dorkzone, for sure you won't get my vote. This place is filled to the brim with virtual unrealistic motherfuckers!

diablopilot  (D License)

Nov 4, 2010, 5:35 AM
Post #13 of 76 (4408 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Hi Michal,

I read a lot of hate in your message here.

Tandem BASE is surely being stuck to. Thanks for the encouragement! Tree, Chuma, and myself are working diligently and excited about the 2011 season.

You surely would have been against tandem skydiving when it was new. Probably against wingsuits when DaKine and other were experimenting with them. And surely square parachutes were going to kill everyone. You know you needed 100 round jumps before being 'allowed' to jump a square.

When you're ready to learn how to BASE Jump, we won't hold this negativity against you and can take you on a tandem jump.

What I really read here is what i think is a direction that is a problem with skydiving. I don't require you to jump the way I do, but somehow you expect others to be restricted to your limits. Rethink your position and stop spreading hate.

I am usually against regulation being the answer to a problem. Allow adults to make adult decisions for themselves- whether that's the jumper, the instructor, or the DZO.

cya!

-a

While your Tandem BASE operation really doesn't have anything to do with the USPA it speaks to your philosophy, as does your bio's mention of non certified homebuilt gear (BASE), I'm not interested in seeing that as being an agenda for the USPA. There are already avenues in place for homebuilder to be able to jump their own gear. Check the FAR's

As for the Tandem BASE thing, well the moment that the "BASE course, pay enough and anyone can do this" became the standard, that sport was ruined.

I'm more interested in finding out about the flying jumpers without a commercial certificate, since the USPA, and it's members have pledged that this is not acceptable, and the FAA through case law has also shown it is not to be tolerated.

mvidovic  (D License)

Nov 4, 2010, 5:53 AM
Post #14 of 76 (4399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

10 reasons why I hate Abbie and why he should not be an USPA director:

1. He's a son of Abraham, he has not accepted jesus as his savior, he would kill his mom for a penny. We are a nation of christians, go back in the desert.

2. He does that base jumping thing, we're skydivers out of airplanes, that base stuff is crazy and anti-christian.

3. He flies jumpers w/out commercial licence, totally irresponsible.

4. He has promiscuous sex with women, sex should only be used for procreation, totally anti-christian behavior.

5. He has lots of body hair, USPA directors should have smooth hairless chests.

6. He smokes that weed substance, christans are drunks, drop the pipe and start sucking on the bottle. Pot is a schedule I drug, the most dangerous of all drugs known to peoplekind.

7. He's a libertarian, as americans we no longer believe in life, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness.

8. He does not like wind tunnels, we all know that to be a skygod you need at least 100,000 hrs on the tunnel.

9. Most of his friends are worse than him, look at your friend to know yourself.

10. He loves his dog, dogs don't accept jesus as their savior and they are doomed to go to hell, hence Abbie will go to hell, we need heavenly directors not hell beasts.

normiss  (D 28356)

Nov 4, 2010, 6:36 AM
Post #15 of 76 (4366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently he supports BANDIT JUMPS! as well.
The blog gives me enough reasons to not vote for him.

lifewithoutanet

Nov 4, 2010, 7:21 AM
Post #16 of 76 (4333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [normiss] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Apparently he supports BANDIT JUMPS! as well.
The blog gives me enough reasons to not vote for him.

I love it... You read a little something online, think you have all the answers and jump right to a conclusion.

Did the mere use of the word 'bandit' put a bad taste in your mouth? It's a term, not to be taken out of context and immediately interpreted as 'illegal'.

Jebus, sheople...chill for a second, open your minds and have some fun already. Find a pilot, find a plane and go jump somewhere. It can be done. Legally. And it doesn't always have to be done where you throw away your $10 or $13 or $23 or $28 per load.

Oh...and JP, it's not illegal to fly a load of friends/jumpers without a commercial ticket if money is not exchanging hands. Get some details before you jump all over someone about what you think you know because you read an accusation online or heard it fourth-hand from someone who "knew a guy who..." Just because a guy owns a plane and owns a DZ it doesn't mean that every load is carrying customers.

I'm voting for Abbie because I think we need to change the way we work with the FAA and change the way the FAA treats parachuting, not simply follow the same, eroding path that's devoid of innovation and development just because that's where the status-quo has us. If we're cow-towing to and only working within the existing system--while also focusing on seemingly-related non-parachute activities--we're doing it wrong.
-C.

stratostar  (Student)

Nov 4, 2010, 7:36 AM
Post #17 of 76 (4320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lifewithoutanet] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I think we need to change the way we work with the FAA

Yea because clearly Randy Ottinger is doing a piss poor job and fucking everything up...... Right? Please enlighten us all with how you think we need to change how we work with the FAA and just what is your background in regards to dealing with high levels of the FAA in Washington DC.

Quote:
and change the way the FAA treats parachuting,

And just how is the FAA treating parachuting in IYHO?

Because frankly we have a lot freedom and little restriction on us as it is now, the USPA is well respected on the hill mainly due to the work of a few if not one person who's job it is to work with the FAA on a daily basis and this person has done a hell of a lot to keep major restrictions off our backs post 9-11. I know for a fact this person is invited to very high level meetings that could change skydiving as we know it had he not been there to represent us.

Quote:
If we're cow-towing to and only working within the existing system--while also focusing on seemingly-related non-parachute activities--we're doing it wrong.
-C.

You don't have clue what is going on.

(This post was edited by stratostar on Nov 4, 2010, 7:43 AM)

normiss  (D 28356)

Nov 4, 2010, 7:52 AM
Post #18 of 76 (4302 views)
Shortcut

I never said anything about "illegal" anything nor answers to anything.
Crazy
I did get some insight into his personality with this and other posts though. BASE and skydiving are not the same sport.

More specifically as well, given the legal environment we operate in, I wholeheartedly disagree with your perspective.
As businesses in skydiving we don't only have to worry about ourselves. We have customers and student's lives to worry about, public and private property, communities we work with, investors, attorneys, and various organizations (USPA, FAA, local authorities and airport facilities to name but a few).
A nonchalant and carefree attitude is not the direction we need to go. It's no longer that simple in the current environment we live in.
The system is not devoid of innovation and development, in fact I feel it is quite the opposite. We have channels and procedures to follow and work with to leverage those to our benefit. We need people that understand that and will work within those processes.
We don't need someone on the board thumbing their nose at the establishment IMO.

Grubber  (C 39556)

Nov 4, 2010, 8:08 AM
Post #19 of 76 (4291 views)
Shortcut

You have my vote Abbie. I think you will bring a fresh perspective to the USPA Board and I disagree with MVIDOVIC, I believe USPA should be controlled by hell-beasts.

normiss  (D 28356)

Nov 4, 2010, 8:22 AM
Post #20 of 76 (4279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

My personal favorite post Abbie made on Blinc:
"Re: Jumper asks a Cop

It sounds like when the dude said "bouncers" he was talking about seeing skydivers go in, not base jumpers. Gotta remember they mix the two up, they're not us. Maybe I'm wrong but I think you owe him an apology. "

We want this mindset representing skydiving???
CrazyCrazyCrazy

Unsure

If "we're not them" they certainly are not "us".

lifewithoutanet

Nov 4, 2010, 8:24 AM
Post #21 of 76 (4277 views)
Shortcut

Ugh. I'm defending a candidate I believe in from innaccurate accusations, not attacking any other individuals, especially those I don't know. (I'll leave that to you guys.)
I do believe change is needed and won't debate the work those on the board have currently done, other than to say I think they could look at hanging the system, not just working within it.
That said. I'm done here. Gone jumping.
-C.

diablopilot  (D License)

Nov 4, 2010, 9:42 AM
Post #22 of 76 (4238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mvidovic] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
10 reasons why I hate Abbie and why he should not be an USPA director:

1. He's a son of Abraham, he has not accepted jesus as his savior, he would kill his mom for a penny. We are a nation of christians, go back in the desert.

2. He does that base jumping thing, we're skydivers out of airplanes, that base stuff is crazy and anti-christian.

3. He flies jumpers w/out commercial licence, totally irresponsible.

4. He has promiscuous sex with women, sex should only be used for procreation, totally anti-christian behavior.

5. He has lots of body hair, USPA directors should have smooth hairless chests.

6. He smokes that weed substance, christans are drunks, drop the pipe and start sucking on the bottle. Pot is a schedule I drug, the most dangerous of all drugs known to peoplekind.

7. He's a libertarian, as americans we no longer believe in life, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness.

8. He does not like wind tunnels, we all know that to be a skygod you need at least 100,000 hrs on the tunnel.

9. Most of his friends are worse than him, look at your friend to know yourself.

10. He loves his dog, dogs don't accept jesus as their savior and they are doomed to go to hell, hence Abbie will go to hell, we need heavenly directors not hell beasts.

Personally I like him for 1,2,4,5,7,9, and 10. Just not for the BOD. Smile

diablopilot  (D License)

Nov 4, 2010, 9:46 AM
Post #23 of 76 (4233 views)
Shortcut

Despite what the FAR's say Colin, the USPA, it's members, and it's group members have pledged to have commercially rated pilots flying all loads, paying or not.

Just like the FAA doesn't have a minimum pull altitude and an individual can do as they like their membership in the USPA adds additional rules, where the penalty may only be removal from the organization.

Treejumps

Nov 4, 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #24 of 76 (4206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [normiss] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Normiss,

BIG DISCLAIMER: I am Abbie's partner in TandemBASE, and a good friend.

I don't think that anyone will ever get a good, full picture of any candidate from the interweb, and that is surely true of Abbie. He is loud, brash, and often smells badly. However he is a very forward thinking individual, and one who can collaborate and develop ideas with others, which is an important skill for a board member. I know this first hand because the development of TandemBASE has required a lot of critical thinking and many ideas that were originally conceived by one of us where shot down or radically altered by the other. Thats how anything worth while is developed. What Abbie brings to the board is a young, fresh perspective, and the ability to work through any issue to come up with the best possible solution.

If you are worried about the legal issues associated with skydiving, then you will definitely want Abbie empowered with a board position. We are currently working on a parachutist liability law similar the ones that protect ski area operators. We have a very good chance of having the Idaho state legislature pass this law, in large measure, because of the personal relationships that Abie has developed with local politicians, elected law enforcement, and the business community.

No doubt, we are working on this for direct benefit of TandemBASE, but the effects of having a law limiting liability for parachute center operators would be expansive, and legislation such as this often gets adopted and passed in other states. It has to start somewhere, and we have a unique opportunity in ID to make a real difference for the entire parachuting community.

Thats what Abbie has been working on lately, and every jumper will ultimately benefit from the success of this legislation. Our efforts to move that legislation forward would benefit from working with the USPA, and Abbie is positioned to make a real and lasting gain for parachuting.

Para5-0  (D 19054)

Nov 4, 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #25 of 76 (4203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Treejumps] Abbie Mashaal for National Director [In reply to] Can't Post

I commend your approach. Rather than point out the negative about candidates, pointing out the good in the ones you support is probably more effective.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)