Forums: Archive: 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections:
Very disappointed with candidate statements.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 1, 2010, 11:50 PM
Post #1 of 40 (3177 views)
Shortcut
Very disappointed with candidate statements. Can't Post

So I just read the BOD candidate statements in the November Parachutist, and I have to say that I'm really disappointed. Hardly any of them told us what they want to accomplish over the next two years. Most just talked about past accomplishments or assured us that they'd be good Board members. Some made vague statements about wanting to give back to the sport (which is great), but never told us how.

Come on, candidates: you're asking us to let you lead our organization; you owe it to us to tell us where you want to lead us.

Para5-0  (D 19054)

Nov 2, 2010, 12:54 AM
Post #2 of 40 (3123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gary73] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Gary,
I appreciate you taking the time to read the Bios, it seems name recognition can carry a candidate to the finish line. I unfortunately am not that guy. We only had 250 words to give a short biography and fill out a one pager describing our qualifications. I do have a web site that gives a bit more about the direction I would like to see USPA go. Some issues that are of a personal concern to me are the Instructional Ratings, prerequisites, and current curriculum. I also am interested in Canopy education in the form of offering advanced training during the course of earning your b,c,and d licenses. In the wake of canopy releated incidents I feel we have an obligation to research the trend and attempt to address the issue. Increasing membership through advertisment, education, and retention. It seems that the population continues to increase and the amount of people trying the sport increases imo so should the total number of skydivers. If some effort is put into retaining students our sport will continue to grow in a positive fashion. There are numerous other areas that need attention but this can only be done if the board has a diverse representation. I believe we need some new younger jumpers with new innovative ideas. The BOD has done a good job and I commend them on the online voting as an example of catching up with the times.
Ultimately the new members need to address issues, debate them with a wide array of view points, and most importantly make decisions accordingly in the best interest of the membership.
As I have said on my web site http://www.richwinstock.com I am not a politician, a DZO, or a beneficiary of a skydiving business; I am a part time TandemI, AFFI, Coach, and S&TA who jumps around 750 jumps a year. I am trying to be available to listen to those that have legitimate concerns or directions they would like to see USPA head.

Hope that is a bit better without boring anyone.

I have not been to Skydive Atlanta but now I know someone and would be happy to swing by the next time I am down that way. I am also available to listen to anything you feel is pertinent and bring it forth. If you have any further questions email or pm me, I would be happy to keep open lines of communication win or lose.
Thanks,
Rich

(This post was edited by Para5-0 on Nov 2, 2010, 1:23 AM)

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
Nov 2, 2010, 4:45 AM
Post #3 of 40 (3099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Para5-0] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I also am interested in Canopy education in the form of offering advanced training during the course of earning your b,c,and d licenses. In the wake of canopy releated incidents I feel we have an obligation to research the trend and attempt to address the issue.

You just got my vote with that statement. Smile

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 2, 2010, 8:46 AM
Post #4 of 40 (3046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Para5-0] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rich,

Thanks for the reply, but you really haven't told us much:

We all want more jumpers in the sport; exactly how do you propose to accomplish that?

We're all in favor of not getting killed by some hot dog who can't fly his sub-100 worth a damn (or who has excellent skills but lousy judgement); exactly how do you propose to protect us?

Yes, there are several areas that the board should address; which specific areas do you think should be addressed and what would be your goal in each of those areas?

Do you see what I mean? I don't want vague generalizations about improving safety or advocating for us or bringing new ideas to the board. What are you going to advocate? What are your new ideas?

Please don't take this personally; these comments are really directed at all the candidates. At least you're communicating, which is more than most of the candidates are doing. Please take some time, think about the specific changes you would like to see in USPA policies and programs, and tell us about them.

Thanks,
Gary

topdocker  (D 12018)

Nov 2, 2010, 9:40 AM
Post #5 of 40 (3037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gary73] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Come on, candidates: you're asking us to let you lead our organization; you owe it to us to tell us where you want to lead us.

"I want to lead us into a bold, bright future, where jumps are free, the beer is free, and the gear packs itself."

There are so many issues that are facing the organization, the sport in general, the dropzones, the manufacturers, and the individuals that it is difficult to cover every position. How about giving three or four topics for discussion and letting candidates discuss them here.

Yes, vote for me if you are in the Pacific region,
Craig Stapleton

jsaxton  (D 26818)

Nov 2, 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #6 of 40 (2994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [topdocker] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
"I want to lead us into a bold, bright future, where jumps are free, the beer is free, and the gear packs itself."

That got MY interest!

Para5-0  (D 19054)

Nov 2, 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #7 of 40 (2978 views)
Shortcut

Gary,

I do not take it personally at all trust me, I appreciate the vigilance. I will give one example of what I attempted to do over the last year in regards to instructional ratings and what I will continue to advocate for. If you will look at the petition I had signed by 174 intructors, DZO's, S&TA's, and skydivers it spells out the exact change I was proposing.
http://www.ipetitions.com/...n/instructorchanges/

I further sent the petition along with the below letter to USPA (Safety and Training Committee) to be read at the last board meeting, in the hopes of generating some IMO change. The outcome was the new under 500 jump requirement of having your coach rating for 12 months.

This is just one area that I have been working on as an S&TA. If I am elected, I will pursue open dialog specifically in this area.
As far as other areas of concern I have been actively speaking with many about the latest trend in Canopy related incidents, to include here online. I can give an opinion of what I would like to see but ultimately my job would be to advocate in the best interest of the membership. If you would like a personal opinion I would like to see continueing education in canopy instruction set up for B, C, and D license requirements. But before implementing something just as a knee jerk reaction, I would specifically want to hear from qualified guys and girls out there who are teaching these skills post A license and making a business out of it. There may be no reason to recreate the wheel. I personally know of several canopy courses that are extremely beneficial.
Again, this is just two areas that are personal to me for a variety of reasons. There are so many other areas of concern that I would have to type a book here on my personal thoughts on each topic. To make an educated firm decision I would not only need my background/experience to act as a starting point, I would like to hear from other members with expertise in these areas. I am open to debate.
I hope this was a bit more specific and I hope the attachment worked.lol
Thanks,
Rich
Attachments: United States Parachute Association.doc (28.5 KB)

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 2, 2010, 3:40 PM
Post #8 of 40 (2930 views)
Shortcut

Rich,

I don't agree with most of your proposals regarding the instructional rating hierarchy, but at least you're telling us what you'd try to do as a Director, so thanks for that.

Take care,
Gary

Para5-0  (D 19054)

Nov 2, 2010, 4:01 PM
Post #9 of 40 (2913 views)
Shortcut

Gary,
That is why open debate is necessary. What are your thoughts? Nothing is ever set in stone. Sometimes the best ideas come from different points of view. Like I said, I just gave my opinion, as per your request, that doesnt mean I am correct or that is the best solution, if any. It is a start though. Just saying you disagree is okay but help me to understand a different point of view. Again I believe a Director should be taking everything into conisderation prior to casting any vote. And keep in mind this is only one small part of the overall work to be done. If we can agree something should be done then that is a good start as well.
Thanks,
Rich

JSE  (D 28998)

Nov 2, 2010, 4:19 PM
Post #10 of 40 (2906 views)
Shortcut

Rich I am confused by your proposal. What exactly is the difference between the AFFI and AFFJM? If you feel there is a consensus that AFFI's aren't prepared why not just make the course harder or more comprehensive? or just say that new AFFI's have to do X number of jumps/trainings under the supervision of a more experienced instructor.

Para5-0  (D 19054)

Nov 2, 2010, 4:31 PM
Post #11 of 40 (2902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JSE] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Great post, exactly what I am saying. It is not they are not prepared, I just feel they should be eased into it. Similar to a capt and co-pilot. After putting your time in watching and learning from someone who has been doing the job, all the while taking his/her feedback then you can slowly transition into a full pilot or in this case AFFI. Almost like a probationary period where you are watched and mentored. See attached and give your thoughts. A 20 jump AFF progression that we use for newly minted AFF Instructors. We will never go back to the JM rating but I liked it. We beat the hell out of this in another thread some monthes earlier so I wont get to much into detail. All I am saying is there should be a break in period for new AFF Instructors. Ours is just one idea. Keep in mind I think the BOD will entertain something along these lines if they sit down and debate the advantages. Of course we will need statistical data to support the claim that this way is better. That is the hard part because the data is not reported. IE: lost students, cypres fires, off field landings, dangerous jumps...etc.

FYI: This card is being used at three DZ's that I know of. That means there is a need or these DZ's feel it is advantagous.

(This post was edited by Para5-0 on Nov 2, 2010, 4:35 PM)
Attachments: Copy of AFF INSTRUCTOR PROFICENCY CARD (2).xls (21.5 KB)

diablopilot  (D License)

Nov 2, 2010, 5:11 PM
Post #12 of 40 (2889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [topdocker] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Craig Stapleton

Sure, if you want to support the continued violations of the BSR's and FAR's give ol' Craig a vote.

If you think it's alright for a Regional Director to threaten his constituents for standing up for what is right, then give ol' Craig a vote.

If you want someone who openly mocks the USPA and what it stands for, give Good ol' boy Craig a vote.

(This post was edited by diablopilot on Nov 2, 2010, 5:26 PM)

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 2, 2010, 7:10 PM
Post #13 of 40 (2859 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Gary,
That is why open debate is necessary. What are your thoughts? Nothing is ever set in stone. Sometimes the best ideas come from different points of view. Like I said, I just gave my opinion, as per your request, that doesnt mean I am correct or that is the best solution, if any. It is a start though. Just saying you disagree is okay but help me to understand a different point of view. Again I believe a Director should be taking everything into conisderation prior to casting any vote. And keep in mind this is only one small part of the overall work to be done. If we can agree something should be done then that is a good start as well.
Thanks,
Rich

Rich,

Since you asked,

1. As a Coach Examiner who often works with candidates from my own dropzone (and therefore gets to see them in action once they get their ratings), I don't think that any increase in Coach candidate requirements is necessary. I was also a SL JM back in the days when it only took 100 jumps to be a JM, so I have that perspective, also.

2. As an AFF Evaluator who often works with candidates from my own dropzone (as above), I definitely don't see any reason to re-institute the JM rating. As for mentoring and monitoring new AFF-Is, yes, that's necessary, but is already the domain of the S&TA and Chief Instructor.

3. It is certainly the case that some Tandem-Is and AFF-Is don't do as good a job as they should in the areas of both safety and value delivered to the student, but in my experience that's usually the result of conscious decisions on the parts of the Instructor, S&TA, and DZO, not the result of inexperience.

4. Unfortunately, USPA has pretty much abandoned the AFF program in favor of ISP (even though, after ten years, very few DZs have adopted ISP), so we can't expect any help from USPA here.

But, as I said, all I'm asking for here is for Director candidates to tell us what they plan to do, not to discuss the issues. That's for another thread.

Thanks,
Gary

jsaxton  (D 26818)

Nov 2, 2010, 9:49 PM
Post #14 of 40 (2831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bring on the hate JP.

In reply to:
Quote:
Craig Stapleton

Sure, if you want to support the continued violations of the BSR's and FAR's give ol' Craig a vote.

If you think it's alright for a Regional Director to threaten his constituents for standing up for what is right, then give ol' Craig a vote.

If you want someone who openly mocks the USPA and what it stands for, give Good ol' boy Craig a vote.

MakeItHappen

Nov 3, 2010, 7:45 AM
Post #15 of 40 (2789 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
So I just read the BOD candidate statements in the November Parachutist, and I have to say that I'm really disappointed. Hardly any of them told us what they want to accomplish over the next two years. Most just talked about past accomplishments or assured us that they'd be good Board members. Some made vague statements about wanting to give back to the sport (which is great), but never told us how.

My observations on reading and writing the statements, comparing statements of winners and losers, is that people that state things such as:
'I will do this'
'I will do that'
come across as having an 'agenda' and do not get elected.

diablopilot  (D License)

Nov 3, 2010, 8:30 AM
Post #16 of 40 (2765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jsaxton] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Calling it like I see it Jeff. I've still got love.....Tongue

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 3, 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #17 of 40 (2727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Jan,

If that's so then that's really sad. Everyone should understand that all candidates have agendas; if they didn't then they wouldn't be running. Personally, if candidates don't list agenda items then I can't help but assume that either they're trying to hide their agendas or that their only agenda item is to be a Director. Either way I'm not too inclined to vote for them.

But either way, you get one of my ND votes.

Good luck,
Gary

jdatc

Nov 3, 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #18 of 40 (2649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Calling it like I see it Jeff. I've still got love.....Tongue

You seem bitter.

Is it because you only got 329 votes last election? Maybe you should improve your online persona....

If only posts on DZ.com could have won an election. Or your articulate responses on youtube videos in the comment sections....

You'd crush the competition!

Tongue

_justin

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 3, 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #19 of 40 (2640 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

There are so many issues that are facing the organization, the sport in general, the dropzones, the manufacturers, and the individuals that it is difficult to cover every position. How about giving three or four topics for discussion and letting candidates discuss them here.

Craig Stapleton

Craig,

No offense, but you're the one who's asking us to elect you to a leadership position. Demonstrate your leadership ability by telling us where you want to lead us and how you plan to get us there.

Thanks,
Gary

ozzy13  (D 29344)

Nov 4, 2010, 9:20 AM
Post #20 of 40 (2587 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Rich,

Thanks for the reply, but you really haven't told us much:

We all want more jumpers in the sport; exactly how do you propose to accomplish that?Hey Gary, what are you doing about this? (Its the fun jumper and instructors job to get new people in the sport)

We're all in favor of not getting killed by some hot dog who can't fly his sub-100 worth a damn (or who has excellent skills but lousy judgment); exactly how do you propose to protect us? Again what do you suggest?

Yes, there are several areas that the board should address; which specific areas do you think should be addressed and what would be your goal in each of those areas?Why not just let us know what areas you think need changing?

Rich,

I don't agree with most of your proposals regarding the instructional rating hierarchy, but at least you're telling us what you'd try to do as a Director, so thanks for that.

Take care,
Gary
Jan,

If that's so then that's really sad. Everyone should understand that all candidates have agendas; if they didn't then they wouldn't be running. Personally, if candidates don't list agenda items then I can't help but assume that either they're trying to hide their agendas or that their only agenda item is to be a Director. Either way I'm not too inclined to vote for them.

But either way, you get one of my ND votes.

Good luck,
Gary Craig,
Yea Gary you are right they do all have agendas and since, for some reason you let Jan off the hook. Ill ask.
Jan what is your agenda? How are you going to improve our sport?

Gary its clear where you side and its cool. I just don't think you are looking for answers here. I think you are like everyone else. You have an agenda. Blue skies

RICH WINSTOCK FOR NATIONAL DIRECTOR!

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 4, 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #21 of 40 (2557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ozzy13] Very disappointed with candidate statements. [In reply to] Can't Post

Jerry,

I'm not the one running for office. My agenda here is to try to get those who are running for office to tell us what their goals are and how they would acheive them.

But since you asked:

WRT bringing people into the sport, ever since 1975, roughly half of my jumps have been as a coach, jumpmaster, instructor, evaluator, or examiner. I also spend a lot of time working with beginners on A-license-card items and such.

But I would disagree with your assertion that it's the jumper's job to get people into the sport. Sure, we can invite friends to join us, but the main responsibility for getting people to come out the first time lies with DZOs and USPA. We individual jumpers can help keep people in the sport once they show up, but we don't control the dropzone advertizing budget or the overall experience that first-timers have.

WRT canopy accidents, the main problem is that too many DZOs don't care enough about safety to establish safe landing patterns, educate and/or discipline dangerous jumpers before they cause accidents, enforce reasonable downsizing progressions, hold canopy-control courses, or stand behind the S&TAs who try to do so. Unfortunately there's not much that USPA can do about this, so I guess we'll have to stick with the current plan of improving canopy education and hope that the message eventually works it's way up to the DZO level.

WRT to USPA issues, the main problems are with communication and openness. With modern technology these problems are easily solved; the problem is that many of the incumbents don't want either communication or openness. The solution there is to vote out those folks and bring in Directors who do want to be responsive to the members.

WRT Jan, I didn't let her off the hook at all. Anyone who's been paying attention to the sport for the last few years knows who she is and at least a little about what she stands for. Even so, I'll admit that I wouldn't mind her publishing a formal platform here in the election forum, just for those who don't know her.

But anyway, again, I'm not running for office, so the only agenda of mine that belongs in the elections forum is to get those who are running to tell us what their agendas are.

So: how about it candidates? What are your goals and how do you plan to acheive them?

Take care,
Gary

topdocker  (D 12018)

Nov 4, 2010, 11:29 AM
Post #22 of 40 (2536 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Craig,

No offense,

None taken.

But.... I see this as a huge minefield with no winning exit strategy. "Tell me something about something important to me, without me giving you a direction or an idea of what sounds good so I can decide if you want to take me where I'm not sure I want to go."

Craig

ozzy13  (D 29344)

Nov 4, 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #23 of 40 (2535 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Jerry,

I'm not the one running for office. My agenda here is to try to get those who are running for office to tell us what their goals are and how they would acheive them.

But since you asked:

WRT bringing people into the sport, ever since 1975, roughly half of my jumps have been as a coach, jumpmaster, instructor, evaluator, or examiner. I also spend a lot of time working with beginners on A-license-card items and such.

But I would disagree with your assertion that it's the jumper's job to get people into the sport. Sure, we can invite friends to join us, but the main responsibility for getting people to come out the first time lies with DZOs and USPA. I would say its the Tandem Instructors job mostly. Its the real first contact with our sport. Yes manifest is first contact with booking and answering questions but Instructor is important in the equation We individual jumpers can help keep people in the sport once they show up, but we don't control the dropzone advertizing budget or the overall experience that first-timers have.agreed

WRT canopy accidents, the main problem is that too many DZOs don't care enough about safety to establish safe landing patterns, educate and/or discipline dangerous jumpers before they cause accidents, enforce reasonable downsizing progressions, hold canopy-control courses, or stand behind the S&TAs who try to do so. Unfortunately there's not much that USPA can do about this, agreed. we need to police for lack of a better word our selves so I guess we'll have to stick with the current plan of improving canopy education and hope that the message eventually works it's way up to the DZO level.

WRT to USPA issues, the main problems are with communication and openness. With modern technology these problems are easily solved; the problem is that many of the incumbents don't want either communication or openness. The solution there is to vote out those folks and bring in Directors who do want to be responsive to the members.Again agreeed I think USPA is set in their ways and people vote for name recognition.

WRT Jan, I didn't let her off the hook at all. Anyone who's been paying attention to the sport for the last few years knows who she is and at least a little about what she stands for. Even so, I'll admit that I wouldn't mind her publishing a formal platform here in the election forum, just for those who don't know her.Im going to keep my opinion to myself.

But anyway, again, I'm not running for office, so the only agenda of mine that belongs in the elections forum is to get those who are running to tell us what their agendas are. I think Rich answered your question on where he stands. Im just not sure you are satisfied.

So: how about it candidates? What are your goals and how do you plan to acheive them? Yea how about it ?Cool

Take care,
Gary

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 4, 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #24 of 40 (2509 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
Craig,

No offense,

None taken.

But.... I see this as a huge minefield with no winning exit strategy. "Tell me something about something important to me, without me giving you a direction or an idea of what sounds good so I can decide if you want to take me where I'm not sure I want to go."

Craig

Craig,

You liken taking a position to walking through a minefield, but it isn't even close. Taking a position just means that while you may lose support from some people, you will gain support from others. If you gain more support than you lose, you get elected. If you lose more support than you gain, you don't. And that's exactly what's supposed to happen in an election.

As for exit strategies, there are two:

1. Have goals and plans that are in line with what the majority of the members want, get elected, and do your best to achieve those goals.
2. Lose the election, accept that the majority of the members disagree with your goals, and go on supporting skydiving in other ways.

Both are winning strategies in that you keep your integrity. Sacrificing your integrity to win an election isn't winning at all, in my book.

Folks, a leader has to lead. That means studying the situation, deciding on a goal, developing a plan, and having the guts to proceed with it. That's the job that all you Director candidates are applying for: to be one of our leaders. Either earn the title or withdraw from the race.

Take care,
Gary

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Nov 5, 2010, 4:51 AM
Post #25 of 40 (2454 views)
Shortcut

I agree, Gary.

It's simple really.
How does one expect to get my vote if he's not willing to tell me what his goals are and how he's going to go about achieving them?

Voting, to me is much more than taking a shot in the dark.

What...are we supposed to elect some bozo and wait to see how badly he screws things up?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)