Sigma II now lined with Vectran

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Sep 22, 2010, 1:41 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Sigma II now lined with Vectran Can't Post

From a UPT newsletter:
"United Parachute Technologies, in conjunction with Performance Designs,
are excited to announce the release of the Sigma II tandem canopy.

As of September 2010, all Sigma II 370 and 340 tandem canopies will come standard with Vectran linesets, and will also have 2 slider channels so that sliders can be collapsed. Link covers will be provided to protect the lines at the links as well as keep the links aligned with the risers."

I find this interesting considering that Bill Booth has been one of the voices opposing zero stretch line in general and specifically on tandem canopies. Seems that Precision/Icarus/Stunts may have got it right a dozen years ago after all.

Cudos to Bill, someone else had an idea that may in the end be a better mouse trap. Unlike some others in the industry, and I'm thinking primarily of the other two tandem gear players in the US, he's not so stuck on himself that he has to stick with his idea in spite of the rest of the world.

Martin

AggieDave  (D License)

Sep 22, 2010, 4:30 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] Sigma II now lined with Vectran [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe its a compromise in regards to line life span and how "sticky" dacron gets as it gets older. An attempt to reduce tension knots?

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Sep 22, 2010, 4:38 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AggieDave] Sigma II now lined with Vectran [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally understand the logic of going to Vectran. In 5000 jumps on Icarus canopies we've had zero tension knot malfunctions. And it maintains it's trim!

diablopilot  (D License)

Sep 22, 2010, 7:39 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Add to that, my experience with HMA lined Tandem Mains is that it has the trim benefits of Vectran, the longevity of HMA, and doesn't suffer the hard openings of Vectran or Spectra.

johnny1488  (D 25453)

Sep 24, 2010, 7:03 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1287 views)
Shortcut

I've jumped one, a 340 lined with vectran.

Now I am biased, cause I love jumping my 365 and only jump sigmas when I have to.

It was a nice canopy, the biggest thing that jumped out at me was the oversteer. One of the other instructors called it "obnoxious". I am not a fan of a tandem canopy that can turn my toes purple wheh I pull the toggle to my shoulder. And I found it hard to do a 90 degree turn without having to stop it with the opposite toggle, it was that responsive.

Again, not my cup of tea, but I also like what some people call the "sluggishness" of the Icarus tandems. I don't like students puking on me, and I find it easier to make them comfortable with a longer control range.

It was great for picking up in the field and packing.

rhys  (D 95)

Oct 1, 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1164 views)
Shortcut

I wonder if an original sigma main get a sigma 2 lineset?

(This post was edited by rhys on Oct 1, 2010, 1:00 AM)

neandertal  (D 26131)

Oct 4, 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rhys] Sigma II now lined with Vectran [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, they are interchangeable. I called PD last week...

scrub  (D License)

Oct 7, 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rhys] Sigma II now lined with Vectran [In reply to] Can't Post

yes you can get the v line set i use to get v lines put on sigmas two three years ago

Forums : Skydiving : Tandem Skydiving

Search for (options)