Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Relative Work:
Quite a Nationals

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Sep 15, 2010, 9:29 AM
Post #1 of 2 (817 views)
Shortcut
Quite a Nationals Can't Post

Wow, those were some pretty intense days.

I just got back from 4 and 8 way, and man, there was a lot of competition compressed into a very short time.

On Saturday the skies didn't clear until the afternoon, and then the winds picked up. The open teams managed to do 3 but some intermediate teams only made 1. The next day was clear and a little less windy, and everyone finished. That meant that some intermediate teams had to make 9 jumps.

Years ago there was a rule that 7 jumps a day was the maximum you could ask competitors to do, but that's since been amended to "they can do as many as they want." And for an open class 8 way team that ordinarily does 12-20 training jumps a day that doesn't seem like a big deal at all - but for a less experienced intermediate class team, that could be more jumps than they've ever done in a day before.

Still, it seemed to work out; everyone made it through.

Then 8 way started - and we ended up doing all the open teams in _one_ day! 10 jumps a day. We ran out of daylight and the intermediates only did 9, but they would have continued had there been time.

Bill (meet director) went to all the teams around jump #7 and asked them in a group if they wanted to continue. Everyone said yes, which I think was 80% thoughtful answer, 10% peer pressure and 10% "I just wanna get done!"

Again, our 8-way team had done 10 and 12 jump training days before, and the pace on Monday was much slower than a typical 20-minute-call training day. But I wonder if any of the intermediate teams were pushing their endurance limits.

On the plus side, that let a lot of people get back to work/DZ's a day or two early.

All in all a great job by Skydive Chicago hosting the event and getting so many teams in the air without many hiccups.

Premier NWFlyer  (D License)

Sep 15, 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #2 of 2 (775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] Quite a Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Bill (meet director) went to all the teams around jump #7 and asked them in a group if they wanted to continue. Everyone said yes, which I think was 80% thoughtful answer, 10% peer pressure and 10% "I just wanna get done!"

At least two intermediate 8-way teams said they'd like to stop at 8 (which Bill told us was the original plan for the day) and ended up doing 2 yesterday morning. But yeah, because of the bad weather (and threats thereof that didn't come true), the pace did end up being weird - for me doing 4-way and 8-way, my pace was 2, 8, 9, 1 over four days. Would have been nice to spread it out a little, but with the forecasts they were getting, I can also understand the desire to keep it moving (even though it turned out the weatherman was wrong).

My 8-way team trained 8 a day, so pushing to 9 wasn't a huge difference ... the only thing really affecting endurance (at least in my particular case) was that by the end of the day I had a nasty cold coming on. Even though I was tired, I would have loved to do one more because I knew that my sinuses would only get worse overnight ... and they did. It's a day and a half later and my right ear still hasn't cleared from the one jump we did early yesterday. Unsure

Though I don't have other events to compare it to, I thought the meet was very well run and well organized, and that the team at SDC did a phenomenal job keeping everything running smoothly. The communication, the calls, the loading, the pilots managing so many planes in the air, the grounds crew picking people up - it all worked together quite well.

(This post was edited by NWFlyer on Sep 15, 2010, 1:17 PM)

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Relative Work

Search for (options)