Forums: Archive: 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections:
B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

robinheid  (D 5533)

Jul 13, 2010, 1:31 PM
Post #1 of 42 (4247 views)
Shortcut
B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW Can't Post

As I wrote in SKYDIVING MAgazine #327 before the 2008 BOD election, it's hard to overstate B.J. Worth’s contributions to sport parachuting – not only in the United States but all over the world. It is hard even to list them all – and he’s not done yet. I suspect that B.J. will go down in sport parachuting history as its most influential single individual.

B.J. mid-wifed the birth of sequential relative work, created swooping as a competitive sport out of thin mountain air, and was one of USPA’s first leaders to BASE jump, to name just a few.

His World Team organization has connected the international parachuting community in ways no other person or organization could. And along with his World Team activities, his multi-decade success in staging parachuting stunts for major films and television shows – to include the opening ceremonies for the 1988 Olympics – has raised the sport’s profile enormously.

B.J. has also been a USPA board member for more than 20 years, and its president for several, and for most of that time as the association’s representative to the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI) and the International Parachuting Commission (IPC).

B.J.'s also a polished politician, publicly gracious, generally decent in all ways; and for all of the things he’s been involved in over the years, he has 100 times as many fans as he does detractors.

Having said all this, however, B.J. Worth should not only not be elected again to the USPA board of directors, he should retire immediately at the conclusion of the BOD meeting this coming week.

The reasons are simple:

1) B.J. Worth is threatening his legacy and the health of USPA by using fraud, deceit and duplicity to ram through a change in the election process in hopes of saving his seat in the face of dwindling vote totals; and

2) he's taking a slot and not pulling his weight.

First, the entire online voting system initiative started exactly when B.J.'s BOD vote totals started dropping from the top of the pack to the middle. That's when B.J. got himself appointed chairman of the Nominations & Elections committee and started conniving with HQ staffer Larry Bagley to change the voting system. The conniving, scamming and duplicity continues to this day with the "proxy" vote discussed elsewhere on this site -- a thread that starts with the publication of B.J.'s email urging his World Team regulars and wannabes to vote for the proxy - a conflict of interest and level of coercion that in and of itself should not be allowed to stand. B.J. will, officially or through his cohort Bagley, know exactly how his wannabes and regulars did or did not vote for the proxy. Whether actual or perceived, there is an enormous conflict of interest and coercion here: As those regulars and wannabes answered B.J.'s call, there is no way it did not cross their minds that B.J. will look at their vote (or lack thereof) as a qualifying/disqualifying element of the World Team's performance-based but also highly political selection process for the upcoming $10,000 jump.

Second, it's an open secret that B.J. gets to most meetings late and leaves most of them early. He's generally not engaged much in the business of the organization anymore, other than subverting the election process, and this is unacceptable, especially as he is a member of the executive committee, which has in recent years, rightly or wrongly, taken on a much greater share of the board’s decision making.

To sum up, B.J. Worth's misconduct with regard to the changes in the election process should be cause to immediately remove him from the USPA board of directors. However, given his long and distinguished record of service and accomplishments to the sport and to USPA, B.J. Worth should be allowed to retire gracefully from the board, and take a USPA Lifetime Achievement Award with him when he does, along with any and all other kudos we can send his way as the door swings shut behind him and on an overall great chapter in the life of sport parachuting and the U.S. Parachute Association.

But B.J. Worth does need to retire -- and he needs to retire NOW.

Unimpressed

ccq  (D 23345)

Jul 13, 2010, 2:49 PM
Post #2 of 42 (4103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robinheid] B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

Robin, I disagree.

I am only a pup at this sport who is in my 14th year. However, I served on the BOD for five years, including a term on Nominations and Elections with BJ presiding. I chaired that committee in his absence for the one meeting BJ missed due to the passing of his mother. During that time, we had many discussions regarding the voting process and online voting in particular. It is my assessment that BJ has no ulterior motives in supporting online voting. Actually, I believe quite the opposite: I believe BJ is trying to do what he thinks is the best thing for the membership of USPA. He believes (and I happen to agree) that the current voting system is broken, is a drain on staff resources, and is ripe for manipulation by unscrupulous candidates. As a measure of his support for online voting, at one point he did volunteer to refrain from running for re-election in order for someone to oversee the first online election and liaise with the third party company. I made the same offer.

Online voting will not fix all of those problems, but it is a start and we need to get the ball rolling. The goal is to get a higher percentage turnout and a more accurate reading of the membership's desires in terms of the makeup of the BOD. This effort, including the proxy effort, has not been rushed. The BOD has been talking about this since before I was seated on the Board - late 2004 or so.

I believe your characterizations of his work on the BOD are in error. In watching him work on the BOD, I think he pulls more weight than many of the other members of the Board. He consistently holds the membership's best interests at heart and tries to do what he thinks is best for the members. I think your first five paragraphs sum it up best. I see no scamming, conniving, or duplicitousness in his behavior, but rather a genuinely engaged and passionate man who loves the sport of skydiving as much as anyone I know.

I have no reason to defend BJ or kiss his ass. I've not done any of his bigways nor am I positioning myself for an invite to the next one. I did manage to do some 40-ways with him at Lost Prairie a couple of years ago and they were quite a kick.

Cheers,
--Q
USPA Lifetime member
Pacific Regional Director 2005-2009
Nominations and Elections Committee 2007-2009

beowulf  (C License)

Jul 13, 2010, 4:44 PM
Post #3 of 42 (4008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robinheid] B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never met B. J. Worth but I don't think you make a very good case for a forced retirement for Mr Worth. I have never met you either, but you are making a good case for me to dislike you. Going on to a public forum and talking shit about someone is never a good idea.

DARK  (B 31685)

Jul 13, 2010, 5:04 PM
Post #4 of 42 (3979 views)
Shortcut

if you leave aside the participation and pulling weight issue then i dont see how you think you have any sort of point

online voting is a necessity in this day and age and the need to have so many people vote for this change is a techinicality due to (apparently) new york law

it isnt practical to get people to show up in nashua in sufficient numbers to vote for the change so a proxy system makes perfect sense and is perfectly legal

bj's motives for wanting an online voting system are largely irrelevant. if he thinks it will increase his likely hood of getting reelected then fine, the only way he can be proved right or wrong is when voting takes place and when that time comes everyone has their chance(in a more convenient way then ever) to voice their opinion

mirage62  (C 15580)

Jul 13, 2010, 6:07 PM
Post #5 of 42 (3918 views)
Shortcut

LOL, where are your FACTS? Write down where you got the information you are throwing out here. You state that:

"First, the entire online voting system initiative started exactly when B.J.'s BOD vote totals started dropping from the top of the pack to the middle."

After you back that up:

"starts with the publication of B.J.'s email urging his World Team regulars and wannabes to vote for the proxy - a conflict of interest"

I'm a World Team regulars and I haven't recieved anything that seems that he's trying to screw up anything. I believe (as I do) that the current sustem is screwed up. I guess you believe that someone IN the system should try to fix a problem - oh thats right he's numberss were slipping so this was the only way he could stay in power. Right

"(or lack thereof) as a qualifying/disqualifying element of the World Team's performance-based but also highly political selection process for the upcoming $10,000 jump."

So Bj will check all this information and not allow people who didn't suppot him on the next "$10,000" jump. I wonder if there where 500 World team memebers that even voted last time.

You make yourself look bad when you write stuff like this

grimmie  (D 18890)

Jul 13, 2010, 6:07 PM
Post #6 of 42 (3916 views)
Shortcut

Get all of those votes for a slot on the World Team. Isn't that canceled?

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Jul 13, 2010, 6:57 PM
Post #7 of 42 (3871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mirage62] B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

Does all this mean that I can buy a slot on the World Team for just a vote?

Where do I sign?
LaughLaugh

loudtom  (D 23115)

Jul 13, 2010, 7:33 PM
Post #8 of 42 (3817 views)
Shortcut

I agree with you Robin.
I got a chance to take a friend of BJ's on a tandem in Lost Prarie a few years ago. At that time I wrote he was out of touch with everyday skydivers and needed to go.
He bounced around my drouge for a good few seconds before woefully trying to maintain level after that. I had never had a lurker go up the drouge with thier rig so I was a little put off when he didn't come up to me afterward and opologize for putting me and his friend in jeapordy. When I finally asked him about it, all he had to say is did I realize how fast I was traveling. I said yea but that is no excuse for going up my drouge.
He has his team and wants to do what he wants and that is about it. He cares for the everyday TM and AFF instructor not at all.
There has been a long history of deciet and keeping info from the membership on BJ's watch and no opology given. Thanks for bringing this to lite Robin. I hope people listen and learn.
tom

CSpenceFLY  (D 25252)

Jul 13, 2010, 9:51 PM
Post #9 of 42 (3744 views)
Shortcut

I'm surprised he would put so much faith in the online community after the comments he made toward us at the meeting I attended in Orlando. I had never met him before that but I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire. There goes my world team chances.

brettski74  (C 3197)

Jul 13, 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #10 of 42 (3713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CSpenceFLY] B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm surprised he would put so much faith in the online community after the comments he made toward us at the meeting I attended in Orlando.

What did he say?

MakeItHappen

Jul 14, 2010, 5:13 AM
Post #11 of 42 (3621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brettski74] B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I'm surprised he would put so much faith in the online community after the comments he made toward us at the meeting I attended in Orlando.

What did he say?

See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZAvA5IC2h8
for what he said. It is near the 4 min mark.

To see more info on the issue of online balloting see also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOA4ydRDTAE
At the 2:30-3:00 mark the lady in the black jacket says something about doing a 'test' online balloting with a non controversial issue BEFORE using online balloting for an election.

beowulf  (C License)

Jul 14, 2010, 5:38 AM
Post #12 of 42 (3596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CSpenceFLY] B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

If what he said there bothers you then you have a very thin skin.

DiverMike  (C 40024)

Jul 14, 2010, 5:50 AM
Post #13 of 42 (3580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [beowulf] B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

+1

I have no dog in this fight, but I was more put off by the person picking his nose at 4:00 in the video than anything said.

kkeenan  (D 22164)

Jul 14, 2010, 6:53 AM
Post #14 of 42 (3517 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I'm surprised he would put so much faith in the online community after the comments he made toward us at the meeting I attended in Orlando. I had never met him before that but I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire. There goes my world team chances.

You've got to be shitting me. The total of his remarks consist of, "Did you get this information from an online forum?" Is that the horribly disrespectful comment that you are referring to ?

Spence, you usually make a lot of sense in your posts here, but it baffles me how you can get such a case of the ass over this.

Kevin K.

CSpenceFLY  (D 25252)

Jul 14, 2010, 7:23 AM
Post #15 of 42 (3487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [beowulf] B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

I think most that know me know I don't have a thin skin.

That is not what I was refering to. He made two different comments about those of us that frequent online forums. In a nutshell implying we are people that have nothing better to do with our time and showing, in my opinion, a lack of respect that I am happy to return to him.The comment in the video was,I believe, just referring back to his other comments.

There was a group of DZ.comers in that crowd and IMO I think he was trying to get a rise out of one of us. Maybe Jan can find the video.

(This post was edited by CSpenceFLY on Jul 14, 2010, 7:29 AM)

beowulf  (C License)

Jul 14, 2010, 7:36 AM
Post #16 of 42 (3477 views)
Shortcut

Personally I don't take DZ.com all that seriously. Even if he did make disparaging remarks of DZ.com or people who frequent DZ.com it wouldn't bother me. You have to remember that many older people that didn't grow up with computers consider forums like this one as a waste of time and they pretty much are a waste of time. Also there is so much conflicting information here and flat out bad advice mixed in with good advice that I would never send a newbie here to learn. I would send them to a real dropzone.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)
Jul 14, 2010, 8:07 AM
Post #17 of 42 (3424 views)
Shortcut

Jan did find the video. I shot it and uploaded all of the meetings to that same location; all the USPA meeting is up there, as are other USPA BOD meetings.

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Jul 14, 2010, 8:47 AM
Post #18 of 42 (3374 views)
Shortcut

> In a nutshell implying we are people that have nothing better to do with our time . . .

Many people here fit that description. The advice/jumps ratio here is far, far higher than it is than at any DZ I've ever been to.

dgskydive  (C 25738)

Jul 14, 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #19 of 42 (3242 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Yeah what did he say?

dgskydive  (C 25738)

Jul 14, 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #20 of 42 (3230 views)
Shortcut

I watched it. I didn't see where he said anything nasty about dz.com. But the USPA would do better by listening and paying attention to members online or in person.

CSpenceFLY  (D 25252)

Jul 14, 2010, 3:43 PM
Post #21 of 42 (3131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dgskydive] B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

Once again, the segment of video that Jan posted is not what I was talking about. While it may be true that some people here have nothing better to do with their time and there may be a mixture of good and bad info here(just like a DZ) That does not invalidate what everyone here has to say.

My point here is he was intentionally rude to a group of people that were in the group, and he knew we were there to support Jan.

You can all stay in love with him. I think he is an ass. At least he is in good company with people like me.

Beachbum  (B License)

Jul 14, 2010, 8:34 PM
Post #22 of 42 (3041 views)
Shortcut

To me, it's just like any other politics. I do not base my vote on whether or not someone is an ass ... I base it on the performance I think they can (or cannot) bring to the office for which they are running. I've never met him, but to me he has a proven track record ... ass or otherwise (and besides ... can't we all be an ass at times?).

CSpenceFLY  (D 25252)

Jul 14, 2010, 8:59 PM
Post #23 of 42 (3025 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beachbum] B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a self proclaimed ass. Ask anyone who knows me. However, if I like you I like you, if I don't I have no use for you.

stratostar  (Student)

Jul 14, 2010, 9:01 PM
Post #24 of 42 (3024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beachbum] B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the real point that you fail to see in Mr. Spences posts on this subject (far be it for me to speak for Chris) is the fact for years we hear people, BOD, uspa, RD's and the like bitching about how the membership show little to any interest in taking part in meeting process, yet a fair number of members took it upon themselfs to take part in the process and a number of them if not all of them traveled at their own expense to show up and take part in the process because they gave enough of a shit to, take time off from work and at their own expense from all across the US, unlike BOD members who show up on our dime, and then got treated like shit by the head mofo sportin all the glory badges....

To say the lease it was a slap in the face to those members and if not the process over all....

One person of national heritage, was even talked down to by a RD in a rather rude comment that boarderlined racist, and in fact I believe there were other comments made about the use of video being used to make the record public for the membership not attending.

So regardless of Mr. Worth's personal views on DZ.com and those who post here, he should have kept that to himself and respected the fact those who took time and expense to show up and take part in the process, in fact did so, because actions like that is what turns off the membership to the point of not giving a fuck anymore because nothing will change with attitudes like that he displayed.

We need to remember one important fact here, the BOD, HQ staff & RD's work for us, all of us and they need to respect that fact and respect each and every members point of view, even if they don't like it!

(This post was edited by stratostar on Jul 14, 2010, 9:05 PM)

Premier DSE  (D 29060)
Jul 14, 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #25 of 42 (2977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] B.J. Worth needs to retire from the USPA Board - NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

Strat,
I think some of the BOD are very respectful. The BOD is like a community. Some are good people, some are just people, and a couple are downright a$$holes.
I know a couple of the BOD members have come to at least be aware that this community isn't without a little strength. I know that more than a couple lurk here.
The BOD member you're referring to that spoke inappropriately took time out to repair that situation, and I have a great deal of respect for him.
The S&T committee is terribly dedicated.
The Membership committee seems to be as well.
Competition....I only wish there was an easy way to restructure that group, but I'll say that BJ is one of the best on that committee. His views are easy to disagree with, but he's been around the block a few times.
There were those that didn't want video of the meetings made public, and I get that. I wish like hell I'd videotaped the S&T committee and Competition meetings last semester. I think folks would like to have known what went on.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)