Shortcut
USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent Can't Post

A list of those who submitted letters of intent for the USPA BOD election:
http://www.uspa.org/...9/Default.aspx#14731

peek  (D 8884)

Jun 14, 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #2 of 44 (3634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peek] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

So, by the lack of response, may I assume this is going to be one of those rather apathetic election cycles? Laugh

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Jun 14, 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #3 of 44 (3620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peek] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

Well you have a lot of views, maybe the voting public is researching the list and forming opinions?

Matt

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Jun 14, 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #4 of 44 (3609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matthewcline] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Well you have a lot of views, maybe the voting public is researching the list and forming opinions?

Matt

Or it's several months before the election and not even the few people on dropzone.com that give a shit give a shit yet. Laugh

Or maybe after everyone saying "I think this election's going to be different" for the last election, they're burned out with giving a shit. Crazy

Or maybe they looked at the list and are too busy formulating their write-in campaigns to comment on here. Wink

3331  (D 3331)

Jun 14, 2010, 1:17 PM
Post #5 of 44 (3582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

Our elections have always been a hot bed of apathy. Unsure

diablopilot  (D License)

Jun 14, 2010, 1:39 PM
Post #6 of 44 (3566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Or maybe after everyone saying "I think this election's going to be different" for the last election, they're burned out with giving a shit. [/quote

What she said.

MakeItHappen

Jun 14, 2010, 3:24 PM
Post #7 of 44 (3528 views)
Shortcut

Alvin Greene effect maybe???

Heard that Tony Hathaway was running as a write-in in the SE region.
Heard that one candidate was charged with a 'gambling charge'.

Whatever, - probably no one gives a shit anyway.

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Jun 15, 2010, 6:00 AM
Post #8 of 44 (3463 views)
Shortcut

Procedural question; did the RD non incumbents who submitted letters all get the 10% regional petition, or does that come into play to get their name on the ballot?

I did notice one conspicuous name missing from the ND list.

Edit to add:
I'm pretty darn apathetic. It'll continue to be a name recognition contest (beauty contest). In my opinion adding electronic voting will only tend to decrease the percentage of informed to ignorant name recognition votes. More is not necessarily better.

(This post was edited by skydived19006 on Jun 15, 2010, 6:03 AM)

peek  (D 8884)

Jun 15, 2010, 6:35 AM
Post #9 of 44 (3451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

"...did the RD non incumbents who submitted letters all get the 10% regional petition, or does that come into play to get their name on the ballot?"

That comes later. RD non-incumbents are sent the number of people in their region in the "election packet" given to all candidates.

For more info anyone can read about the entire election process in the USPA Governance Manual on the USPA web site "downloads" page.

http://www.uspa.org/...abid/84/Default.aspx

(This post was edited by peek on Jun 15, 2010, 6:40 AM)

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jun 15, 2010, 8:41 AM
Post #10 of 44 (3425 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
So, by the lack of response, may I assume this is going to be one of those rather apathetic election cycles? Laugh

Not sure what you're looking for to be said. I'm relieved at some of the people not running, relieved at seeing some of those that *are* running.
There are some good names in there, there are some bad incumbents in there.
Hopefully some of the "new blood" names in there like Tom Deacon, Scotty Burns, Jack Guthrie (people that are actual skydivers vs those that used to skydive) will make it onto the Board this time around, but their names aren't big...Incumbency helps.
Hopefully it won't be too apathetic.
Glad to see you're still in there, Gary.

bbarnhouse  (D License)
Pixie
Jun 15, 2010, 9:53 AM
Post #11 of 44 (3411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Not sure what you're looking for to be said. I'm relieved at some of the people not running, relieved at seeing some of those that *are* running.
There are some good names in there, there are some bad incumbents in there.
Hopefully some of the "new blood" names in there like Tom Deacon, Scotty Burns, Jack Guthrie (people that are actual skydivers vs those that used to skydive) will make it onto the Board this time around, but their names aren't big...Incumbency helps.
Hopefully it won't be too apathetic.
Glad to see you're still in there, Gary.

So if I understand you correclty, you think it is necessarry to be an active skydiver?
What if an individual is no longer able to skydive due to physical malady but continues to contribute to the sport in a positivie way? Would you then view this differently?

Just curious to know if there are exceptions to this type of thought process.
Thank you in advance for your response.

B2

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jun 15, 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #12 of 44 (3389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbarnhouse] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

So if I understand you correclty, you think it is necessarry to be an active skydiver?
What if an individual is no longer able to skydive due to physical malady but continues to contribute to the sport in a positivie way? Would you then view this differently?

Just curious to know if there are exceptions to this type of thought process.
Thank you in advance for your response.

B2

I believe the majority of the board must be active skydivers. The BOD is intended to represent skydivers, not DZO's, manufacturers, FAA, local residents, or those with physical maladies from within or without skydiving.

You as well as anyone know I've undertaken fairly significant effort to help Larry Hill be re-elected. He happens to own one of the busiest dropzones on the planet. As much as I believe Larry Hill, a non-active skydiver should be on the board, I think that a board filled with Larry Hills is a terrible way to represent skydivers.
I wouldn't have an issue with say...one person on the board that can't skydive due to a "physical malady" IF they're actively involved in skydiving outside of being on the board, and IF they were the only one. Again...a board of non-active skydivers that had physical maladies would be an inaccurate representation of the general membership.
If the board is filled with "exceptions" I'd be loathe to say we have an "exceptional" board.

The board has too many non-skydivers or DZO's in my opinion.
That said...no worries Betsy, I'll still campaign on behalf of your boss.Tongue He's one DZO who should be on the BOD, in my opinion.

bbarnhouse  (D License)
Pixie
Jun 15, 2010, 10:43 AM
Post #13 of 44 (3384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

DSE
Thank you for your response. My question however was for clarification purposes. I wanted to know if there were exceptions to your view.

jlmiracle  (D License)

Jun 15, 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #14 of 44 (3365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:
Or maybe after everyone saying "I think this election's going to be different" for the last election, they're burned out with giving a shit. [/quote

What she said.

yep, sounds right.

riggerpaul  (D 28098)

Jun 15, 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #15 of 44 (3356 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I believe the majority of the board must be active skydivers. The BOD is intended to represent skydivers, not DZO's, manufacturers, FAA, local residents, or those with physical maladies from within or without skydiving.

You are, of course, entitled to think that. And I absolutely support your right to think that, and to speak about it, too.

But if the membership chooses to put a board in place that does not meet your condition, it really means not one darned thing, except possibly that you won't like the board as it was created by the voters.

If they choose to have themselves represented by non-jumpers, it is their right and privilege to do just that.

That's one of the good reasons to not engage the people who don't really want to give it some serious thought.

As many have said before, I'd much rather have a small group of voters who care, than a large group that makes a popularity contest of it.

Edit to add:

Re-reading this, I want to apologize a bit. I did not really mean for it to sound so confrontational.

Your opinion is important, of course, and if you can convince other people to adopt your opinion, that's all well and good.

That's absolutely what the whole process is about - determining the opinions of the members.

But, if the members decide to have a bunch of non-jumpers on the board, it is neither a good board nor a bad board. It is the board that the members selected.

Their performance as the BOD will tell if the board was a good one or a bad one.

(This post was edited by riggerpaul on Jun 15, 2010, 1:04 PM)

skyjumpenfool  (Student)

Jun 15, 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #16 of 44 (3318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerpaul] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have to agree with Riggerpaul here. The board will be whomever the members decide. I for one will be voting for a non-jumping person. This person is very active in the sport outside his BOD duties and is always asking active jumpers questions to gain insight as to BOD direction. Cool

I don't think being an active jumper is a positive or a negative!! I think you need to get to know the person and what he wants to accomplish as a BOD member. Then, vote your conscience. Smile

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jun 15, 2010, 1:01 PM
Post #17 of 44 (3307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerpaul] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

There are BOD members that wouldn't know a CYPRES from a camera, and BOD members that can swoop with the very best.
I'll wager our current USPA President is the only prez we've had that has (current) BASE jumps, wingsuit, CRW, freefly, RW jumps, and competed in several of those disciplines. One who has owned a dropzone, is a pilot, and done a tandem/AFF/coach/fun jump in the last 24 hours.
In other words, he represents Joe the Skydiver. That's who I want when it comes to making decisions about the direction of our sport.

However, your point is quite valid. The general membership gets what they vote in and we're each only one vote. Online voting will swing things but that too carries some caveats.

riggerpaul  (D 28098)

Jun 15, 2010, 1:09 PM
Post #18 of 44 (3295 views)
Shortcut

I thank you for your consideration.

If you have not already done so, I invite you to take another look at my post.

When I re-read it, I didn't like that it sounded as confrontational as it did. I didn't mean to take that tone.

I've added some stuff that I hope takes the edge off my sharper statements.

Thanks again for your response.

NickDG  (D 8904)

Jun 15, 2010, 2:24 PM
Post #19 of 44 (3250 views)
Shortcut

The bottom line is this: If you want to jump just do so.

This big freaking game of "My I" or worse even, "Pay to play," has nothing to do with being a free American under the Constitution. Is it actually possible my liberal ass is telling you Conservatives how to take care of biz?

NickD Smile

SkydiveJack  (D 6486)

Jun 15, 2010, 2:36 PM
Post #20 of 44 (3247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I did notice one conspicuous name missing from the ND list.

There goes the Dilatory!

riggerpaul  (D 28098)

Jun 15, 2010, 3:15 PM
Post #21 of 44 (3237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NickDG] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
The bottom line is this: If you want to jump just do so.

This big freaking game of "My I" or worse even, "Pay to play," has nothing to do with being a free American under the Constitution. Is it actually possible my liberal ass is telling you Conservatives how to take care of biz?

NickD Smile

You've lost me. What are "My I" and "Pay to play"? How do they relate to this discussion?

You think I am a conservative?

pirana  (D 30661)

Jun 15, 2010, 4:02 PM
Post #22 of 44 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Hello, my name is Chance Gardener. I like to watch.

ZigZagMarquis  (D License)

Jul 18, 2010, 8:25 AM
Post #23 of 44 (3021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Heard that Tony Hathaway was running as a write-in in the SE region.

I actually found this one kind of curious... Not that Mr. Hathaway is running on a write-in campaign, I don't know him, but trust he's a fine person... but this in general. What I mean is, generally speaking, why would someone getting all motivated to mount a write-in campaign, but couldn't bother to get on the ballot?

This exact thing happened in the Western region several years back. An individual decided to mount a write-in campaign vs. the incumbent. He and his buds even started traveling around away from his home DZ to other DZs trying to drum up votes. Hang with me, I'm not saying that in and of itself is a bad thing.

Anyway, he showed up at the not-main-stream (desert) DZ I was jumping at then, glad handing everyone, pitchin' his pitch, a stack of ballots in hand ready for folks to fill out, wanting to put a load together that he'd gladly organize for us, thought he'd come check out our place for the day, had never been there before or not in a long time, ain't this great... blah blah

So a bunch of us, him and his bud go up and do a jump. We get down and he's back on the stump trying to get votes. When he gets to me, I ask why he wasn't on the ballot, why the write in? As I recall, I get some story about missing the dead-line and number so signatures to get on the ballot and what-not, but he's trying a write-in now, so how about it? Now this wasn't any ol' goober, mind you, this was a well known / long term organizer from a major SoCal turbine DZ. He wouldn't have had any trouble getting the requisite signatures to get on the ballot (IMO), if he had made up his mind in time to meet the time-line.

I continued on to tell him that the western regional director and one of the national directors that is also local to SoCal had already done their election-season jaunt through the place in the preceding weekends and had swept up a bunch of votes and that I had already mailed my ballot in. I also told him I was disappointed he wasn't on the ballot, as I would have voted for him vs. the incumbent, if I had known.

After hearing the others had already been through the place in the preceding weekends, he was packed up and outta-there within 10min. Nice.

<break><break>

To Peek...

We've had this conversation before, but unless one happens to also jump at the home DZ of their regional director or if there happens to be a national director in the same neighborhood, a lot of jumpers never hear boo from them until its election time.

Otherwise, unless one aspires to be a jumpmaster or instructor or what-ever y'all at the USPA HQ are calling them these days, all most up-jumpers get out of the USPA is a membership card that lets them jump at DZs that require it, a magazine every month, a sticker they can put on the car or something and (hopefully) a recognized organization that will deal with the FAA for us.

At least, this has been my experience in my time in the sport, that folks aspiring to office can't really seem to get out and talk to a lot of folks until it comes time they need votes.

Oh well, I guess that's the way it is in all of politics, but I guess I'm just apathetic. Unimpressed

mark  (D 6108)

Jul 18, 2010, 1:21 PM
Post #24 of 44 (2987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ZigZagMarquis] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
why would someone getting all motivated to mount a write-in campaign, but couldn't bother to get on the ballot?

A non-incumbent who wants to be on the ballot as a regional director has to submit a petition with signatures of 10% of the members within the region. It's frequently easier to run and win as a write-in than it is to get on the ballot.

Mark

ZigZagMarquis  (D License)

Jul 18, 2010, 2:09 PM
Post #25 of 44 (2981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mark] USPA BOD election, those who submitted letters of intent [In reply to] Can't Post

Unimpressed

When was the last time a write in won?

What are numbers of skydivers by region? In other words, what's 10% of each region?

(This post was edited by ZigZagMarquis on Jul 18, 2010, 2:26 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)