Forums: Dropzone.com: Error and Bug Reports:
DropZone.com sucking up all my cpu cycles

JohnRich  (D License)

May 24, 2010, 4:24 PM
Post #1 of 16 (1079 views)
Shortcut
DropZone.com sucking up all my cpu cycles Quote | Reply

All right, what have you guys changed?

Monday, 6:00 pm CST. Every time I do something in DZ.com, the cpu cycles max out and response is sluggish. See the attached performance chart.

Have you guys changed something?
Attachments: CPU.jpg (33.9 KB)

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
May 24, 2010, 6:03 PM
Post #2 of 16 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] DropZone.com sucking up all my cpu cycles [In reply to] Quote | Reply

What application is showing as taking up the 100%? Crazy

JohnRich  (D License)

May 24, 2010, 7:16 PM
Post #3 of 16 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] DropZone.com sucking up all my cpu cycles [In reply to] Quote | Reply

My internet browser - I'm using old-fashioned Netscape.

Just tried Internet Explorer, and it works just fine there.
Problem seems limited to Netscape.

(This post was edited by JohnRich on May 24, 2010, 7:37 PM)

JohnRich  (D License)

May 27, 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #4 of 16 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] DropZone.com sucking up all my cpu cycles [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Thursday, 1 pm, CST. CPU consumption and response time back to normal.
I changed nothing on my computer before or after all this started.
What have you guys done? Fess up!

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
May 27, 2010, 2:28 PM
Post #5 of 16 (1034 views)
Shortcut

I don't think anything changed on this side. There were no notes from management to us about changes.

psmarais
Technical Support
May 27, 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #6 of 16 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] DropZone.com sucking up all my cpu cycles [In reply to] Quote | Reply

It's just as Phreezone says. Nothing has changed on Dropzone. Not that I am aware of.

sofa-king  (D 10247)

May 28, 2010, 12:18 AM
Post #7 of 16 (1022 views)
Shortcut

dont use netscape then

JohnRich  (D License)

May 28, 2010, 8:14 AM
Post #8 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sofa-king] DropZone.com sucking up all my cpu cycles [In reply to] Quote | Reply

In reply to:
dont use netscape then

blah-blah-blah

likestojump  (D License)

May 30, 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #9 of 16 (994 views)
Shortcut

if you really have 128MB of memory, that can be a problem in itself. It's simply not enough in today's resource intensive environment.

JohnRich  (D License)

May 31, 2010, 3:12 PM
Post #10 of 16 (983 views)
Shortcut
Re: [likestojump] DropZone.com sucking up all my cpu cycles [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Yep, it's about an 8-year-old computer with not much memory or hard drive space per today's standards. But it limps along pretty well most of the time, just like me.

likestojump  (D License)

Jun 5, 2010, 6:20 PM
Post #11 of 16 (950 views)
Shortcut

I think you have just identified your problem. Trying to use website(s) built to the 2010-ish technology while replying on something that was mediocre at best in 2002 :)

time to upgrade.

Bolas  (D License)

Jun 7, 2010, 6:18 AM
Post #12 of 16 (925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [likestojump] DropZone.com sucking up all my cpu cycles [In reply to] Quote | Reply

In reply to:
I think you have just identified your problem. Trying to use website(s) built to the 2010-ish technology while replying on something that was mediocre at best in 2002 :)

time to upgrade.

Switching to a Linux like Puppy Linux might also be an option.

http://puppylinux.org/...etting%20Started.htm

mnealtx  (B 30496)

Jun 7, 2010, 8:53 PM
Post #13 of 16 (908 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

time to upgrade.

Had the same thing happen to me (3Ghz Quad core, 4Gb RAM), so I don't think that's the problem.

JohnRich  (D License)

Jun 7, 2010, 9:36 PM
Post #14 of 16 (906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mnealtx] DropZone.com sucking up all my cpu cycles [In reply to] Quote | Reply

In reply to:
In reply to:

time to upgrade.

Had the same thing happen to me (3Ghz Quad core, 4Gb RAM), so I don't think that's the problem.

The fact that it was something that came and went in just a couple of days indicates it's not a problem inherent in the architecture - because that would make it a full-time problem. The transient nature seems to indicate that there is some outside influence at play.

likestojump  (D License)

Jun 10, 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #15 of 16 (892 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

time to upgrade.

The fact that it was something that came and went in just a couple of days indicates it's not a problem inherent in the architecture - because that would make it a full-time problem. The transient nature seems to indicate that there is some outside influence at play.

Roger that.
I am using a Win7 with 4GB ram and 2.4GHz CPU, no problems.

I am also using Firefox with Adblocker - are both of you guys ?
If not, it could be the ads sucking up the CPU cycles.

mnealtx  (B 30496)

Jun 10, 2010, 1:20 PM
Post #16 of 16 (886 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

time to upgrade.

Roger that.
I am using a Win7 with 4GB ram and 2.4GHz CPU, no problems.

I am also using Firefox with Adblocker - are both of you guys ?
If not, it could be the ads sucking up the CPU cycles.

That's possible, though in my case .mil is pretty good about ad-blocking.

Forums : Dropzone.com : Error and Bug Reports

Search for (options)