Forums: Community: Blue Skies - In Memory Of:
Jim Mowrey

3331  (D 3331)

Mar 20, 2010, 6:49 AM
Post #1 of 14 (4526 views)
Shortcut
Jim Mowrey Can't Post

Yesterday in Deland on the POPs Big Way.

Apparent heart attack in freefall, AAD fired reserve opened.

Friends landing close attempted CPR.

We'll miss you Jim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgZdnNXNmso

(This post was edited by 3331 on Mar 20, 2010, 1:54 PM)

DougH  (D License)

Mar 21, 2010, 5:06 AM
Post #2 of 14 (3989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [3331] Jim Mowrey [In reply to] Can't Post

Jim, I am going to miss you.

Thank you for all the safe takeoffs, rides to the altitude, and that one smooth landing.

I wont forget that one landing. You showed up at CPI and we knew the weather was wintery crap but somehow between Bob, Ariel, Rob and I we convinced you to break out the 182 and get her preflighted. We could see the snow off the end of the runway. I still laugh when I remember how fast after take off that now squal popped up. And I laugh even more when I remember your response... this is fuckin stupid!! Somehow the rest of us thought it was a hoot, but you didn't until we touched back down. That was the first time I can remember landing in a jump plane.

I am glad we got to meet up in Florida this winter. You really were enjoying your move down to florida. I just wish you were still here with us enjoying it.

Blues skies Jim.

(This post was edited by DougH on Mar 21, 2010, 5:10 AM)

usedtajump  (D 6813)

Mar 21, 2010, 1:40 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3804 views)
Shortcut

Shocking, just shocking. Similar to upndownshop's dad. Damnit!

pilotdave  (D License)

Mar 22, 2010, 7:54 AM
Post #4 of 14 (3543 views)
Shortcut

Jim was in CT less than a week before he died. He visited his mother and attended safety day at CPI where he was able to see many of his friends. Never saw him happier.

Dave

(This post was edited by pilotdave on Mar 22, 2010, 7:57 AM)
Attachments: jim_hanging_harness-1.jpg (94.2 KB)
  group (Small).jpg (61.2 KB)

3331  (D 3331)

Mar 23, 2010, 9:51 AM
Post #5 of 14 (3250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] Jim Mowrey [In reply to] Can't Post

Daytona Beach News Journal

http://www.news-journalonline.com/...led-in-accident.html

jonstark  (D 8298)

Mar 24, 2010, 7:24 AM
Post #6 of 14 (3022 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

That was an obvious failure to communicate. The writer was so pre-disposed to the idea that skydivers only die by "crashing" that there was no regard to the possibility that there may have been a medical reason for the fatality prior to landing. Poorly reported but at least they got it that Jim was an important player. Too bad they left out how much he will be missed.

jon

captain1976  (D 7183)

Mar 24, 2010, 8:22 AM
Post #7 of 14 (3011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jonstark] Jim Mowrey [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That was an obvious failure to communicate. The writer was so pre-disposed to the idea that skydivers only die by "crashing" that there was no regard to the possibility that there may have been a medical reason for the fatality prior to landing. Poorly reported but at least they got it that Jim was an important player. Too bad they left out how much he will be missed.

jon

Hi Jon,

I think everything is poorly reported. In days gone by I was in quite a few articles that family members keep in a scrapbook.

Last Christmas I was looking at them and 100% of them shared the same thing, THEY WERE ALL WRONGLY REPORTED!

Too bad the media doesn't have ethics monitoring like Attorneys, they'd all get dis-mediatized. Wink

Mike

robinheid  (D 5533)

Mar 24, 2010, 9:22 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [captain1976] Jim Mowrey [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

jon

Hi Jon,

I think everything is poorly reported. In days gone by I was in quite a few articles that family members keep in a scrapbook.

Last Christmas I was looking at them and 100% of them shared the same thing, THEY WERE ALL WRONGLY REPORTED!

Too bad the media doesn't have ethics monitoring like Attorneys, they'd all get dis-mediatized. Wink

Mike

the really REALLY scary part is:

If they can so badly screw up a simple, straightforward, unlayered story about a parachuting fatality, imagine how much they're screwing up the stories about health care, afghanistan and the congo.

Cool

3331  (D 3331)

Mar 26, 2010, 1:22 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2715 views)
Shortcut

For those not reading the incident forum.

According to the Volusia County Medical Examiners report Jim Mowrey died of injuries to the head and neck, (blunt force trauma), not a heart attack.

He did have signs of coronary disease.

GeorgeMWoods  (D 5196)

Mar 27, 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2580 views)
Shortcut

There is absolutely no way a pathologist could differentiate head and neck injuries from before or after an arrhythmic event that may have caused those injuries. I think we have to acknowledge that something caused him not to pull and it clearly wasn't the injuries he received one or two minutes latter.
George M Woods, MD

captain1976  (D 7183)

Mar 27, 2010, 3:32 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GeorgeMWoods] Jim Mowrey [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
There is absolutely no way a pathologist could differentiate head and neck injuries from before or after an arrhythmic event that may have caused those injuries. I think we have to acknowledge that something caused him not to pull and it clearly wasn't the injuries he received one or two minutes latter.
George M Woods, MD

Jim,

Wouldn't someone in a position like the Volusia County Medical Examiner try to get all the facts before making their report?

Additionally isn't there some kind of ethics or board that oversees these people?

When people who are not in the medical profession can look at the facts and draw a different conclusion, it looks like they should be reported and Volusia County should get a new Medical Examiner.

Mike

3331  (D 3331)

Apr 3, 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #12 of 14 (2195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jonstark] Jim Mowrey [In reply to] Can't Post

When and where is the service for Jim ?

GeorgeMWoods  (D 5196)

Apr 4, 2010, 9:21 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2048 views)
Shortcut

I had the info but lost it. I believe it's on April 6. Ron Clayton would know. Try: yobtaf2005@earthlink.net

3331  (D 3331)

Apr 11, 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1749 views)
Shortcut

The Parting Glass---Once more with feeling Cool

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

Forums : Community : Blue Skies - In Memory Of

Search for (options)