Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
My first jumpsuit, i gave it some soul...

240m3srt  (A License)

Feb 26, 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1408 views)
Shortcut
My first jumpsuit, i gave it some soul... Can't Post

Actually soles. After hearing about the booties wearing out i decided to have some soles made to reduce wear on the booties. Hopefully it will be a nice alternative to shoe goo. What do you guys think? Questions, comments, concerns.
[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/1bdsrt/014-4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/1bdsrt/007-9.jpg[/IMG]

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Feb 26, 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #2 of 13 (1386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [240m3srt] My first jumpsuit, i gave it some soul... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually soles. After hearing about the booties wearing out i decided to have some soles made to reduce wear on the booties. Hopefully it will be a nice alternative to shoe goo. What do you guys think? Questions, comments, concerns.
http://i17.photobucket.com/...b72/1bdsrt/014-4.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/...b72/1bdsrt/007-9.jpg

use url with brackets etc.. to bracket the links not [IMG]

(This post was edited by BillyVance on Feb 26, 2010, 12:00 PM)

240m3srt  (A License)

Feb 26, 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [240m3srt] My first jumpsuit, i gave it some soul... [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting, some sort of black magic not allowing my images to appear. And the upload attachment button says the pics are too bigCrazy

(This post was edited by 240m3srt on Feb 26, 2010, 12:08 PM)

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Feb 26, 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1373 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Interesting, some sort of black magic not allowing my images to appear. And the upload attachment button says the pics are too bigCrazy

After looking at the booties and the type of leather used, I had the same kind of material on my booties of my old jump suit. They wore out after what, maybe 100 jumps or so. Took them to a vendor booth at a boogie and the guy replaced them with what looked like rawhide leather, a thicker smoother and tougher type. More than 500 jumps later those soles have outlasted the rest of the suit.

I'll put up a pic soon

240m3srt  (A License)

Feb 26, 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1359 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillyVance] My first jumpsuit, i gave it some soul... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

After looking at the booties and the type of leather used, I had the same kind of material on my booties of my old jump suit. They wore out after what, maybe 100 jumps or so. Took them to a vendor booth at a boogie and the guy replaced them with what looked like rawhide leather, a thicker smoother and tougher type. More than 500 jumps later those soles have outlasted the rest of the suit.

I'll put up a pic soon

Thanks for the advice Billy. I tried photobuckets 4 different styles of links but none worked. How did you get them highlighted/working?

As far as the soles go. This material is called sole guard. Its very strong but thin rubberlike material. I had a pair of worn out shoes that he also used this on and they are still going strong. Good thing is you can just keep adding to it when it wears thin.

Looking forward to your pics.

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Feb 26, 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1331 views)
Shortcut

Here it is. The soles have lasted very well.

The suit was made in the Spring of 1998 for Skydive Chicago's 300 way world record event. I replaced the leather the very next year. Crazy
Attachments: IMG00285.jpg (122 KB)

240m3srt  (A License)

Feb 26, 2010, 7:00 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillyVance] My first jumpsuit, i gave it some soul... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the pic, i will definitely consider that as an alternative!

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Feb 26, 2010, 8:33 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1187 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Thanks for the pic, i will definitely consider that as an alternative!

I did take a look at my new jumpsuit that I got 2 years ago and its got the same type of leather yours have and my orange suit originally came with. Mad

Ah well, at the rate I'm jumping these days, 10 - 40 jumps a year, compared to the 200 per year back then, I'm not going to worry about it. Smile

Hellis

Feb 27, 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #9 of 13 (1149 views)
Shortcut

I just remove the bootie from my foot when under canopy.
I have sown in magnets in the jumpsuit to keep the booties away.
One pair of magnets are sown in at the tip of your toes and one pair at knee height, so i just unzip and attach them to my knees.

The magnets i used are neodymium-type magnets glued in pair (side by side) on to a washer.

I really hated landing on the booties as you cant move as good as without them, and they wear out Sly

(This post was edited by Hellis on Feb 27, 2010, 12:42 AM)

240m3srt  (A License)

Feb 28, 2010, 1:15 PM
Post #10 of 13 (985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hellis] My first jumpsuit, i gave it some soul... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I just remove the bootie from my foot when under canopy.
I have sown in magnets in the jumpsuit to keep the booties away.
One pair of magnets are sown in at the tip of your toes and one pair at knee height, so i just unzip and attach them to my knees.

The magnets i used are neodymium-type magnets glued in pair (side by side) on to a washer.

I really hated landing on the booties as you cant move as good as without them, and they wear out Sly

Thats a pretty trick idea!

GalFisk  (D 23239)

Mar 1, 2010, 7:34 AM
Post #11 of 13 (913 views)
Shortcut

Cool, I may copy your idea. I made a magnetic fly for a pair of pants once when the zipper broke, it worked great.

240m3srt  (A License)

Mar 3, 2010, 8:51 AM
Post #12 of 13 (800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GalFisk] My first jumpsuit, i gave it some soul... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Cool, I may copy your idea. I made a magnetic fly for a pair of pants once when the zipper broke, it worked great.

And im gonna copy your idea...will help out greatly when im out with the ladies, lol.

siddacious  (C 37735)

Mar 3, 2010, 3:45 PM
Post #13 of 13 (765 views)
Shortcut

Awesome idea!

For anyone else who likes this idea, you can often find rubber shoe soles (with tread) made to glue on the bottom of shoes at shoe repair stores. I got a pair (big enough for two pairs of booties) for $20. They're probably 1/8-3/16 thick, so no worries about walking funning with them on. I'm IC on my team, so I enjoy the added traction over leather or cordura when hanging outside.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)