Forums: Skydiving: Skydiving History & Trivia:
Z'hills in the eighties

totalbodyflyer  (D License)

Jan 31, 2010, 1:23 AM
Post #1 of 21 (2922 views)
Shortcut
Z'hills in the eighties Can't Post

Where is everyone that jumped at the Hills in it's golden days, the 40-way speed Easter meets were fabulous; I put a link for my webalbums on the bottom here, if you click it or probably copy and paste it, and then go to "Z'hills" for pictures taken in a roughly ten year period. If you recognize yourself or a buddy you can comment and add names I am still working on the captions.
I was on Jerry Bird's teams all the time,

http://picasaweb.google.com/wingsonstrings

airtwardo  (D License)

Jan 31, 2010, 1:42 AM
Post #2 of 21 (2914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totalbodyflyer] Z'hills in the eighties [In reply to] Can't Post

Now a crickey

http://picasaweb.google.com/wingsonstrings

danornan  (D 11308)

Jan 31, 2010, 6:28 AM
Post #3 of 21 (2875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] Z'hills in the eighties [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I started jumping in the mid 80's at Z-Hills and didn't travel to other Drop Zones to jump till much later, I thought that all DZs had a DC-3 and it was normal to be doing 40-ways every weekend. What an awesome place to learn to skydive and call home. I didn't know how well I had it at the time.

(This post was edited by danornan on Jan 31, 2010, 6:29 AM)

skypuppy  (D 347)

Jan 31, 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #4 of 21 (2813 views)
Shortcut

just happened to look at pic 22. Heidi's (or is it Joannie, I don't remember) in the blue, across the base is Larry MacKinnon of Mississauga, the brown suit in the base is Paul Dow, wearing a student innovator rig from SWOOP. I'm on Larry's right leg in a dirty white suit with a red stripe, beside me in blue is Mike Dewit. On Heidi's right leg is Paul 'Anvil' Evanoff and on her left is Gerry Lambert from Queebek, Beside Anvil might be Wim from Holland? and his girlfriend on Paul Dow's other leg?

(This post was edited by skypuppy on Jan 31, 2010, 10:37 AM)

Jan 31, 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #5 of 21 (2800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skypuppy] Z'hills in the eighties [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, that 's a few names, I remember "Anvil" and in contradiction with what one may think he was quite a good skydiver. The one you refer to as "Wim from Holland" that would be me, from Belgium actually, but I am not on that dive but you got the girlfriend right, Mag was my girlfriend in those days. And it is Heidi in the base.

PapaSmurf  (D 5824)

Jan 31, 2010, 1:25 PM
Post #6 of 21 (2768 views)
Shortcut

Thanx! Wim,

Great pictures & memories !!!

I was just at the Hills, and saw Bird, Tony, Mike & Patty, and Bill Brandon. I'm usually jumping in Maine but get down to FL. about once or twice a year now. Great jumps those 40-45 ways where !!! I was usually the first rear floater on the DC-3 40-ways. If you can't guess who this is, Hanne will tell ya! We hung around a little while she was in Maine. Cool I still jump the 1986 Vector in the pictures with a Raptor now. Shocked Hope all is well with you & yours !!! Blueskys!!! P. Smurf

SkydiveJack  (D 6486)

Jan 31, 2010, 3:01 PM
Post #7 of 21 (2747 views)
Shortcut

Hi Wim,

Great photos. Brings back some nice memories. I'm in some of the 40 way stuff. And I'm glad you posted the Night 40 way. I lost my copy years ago.

Jack Gregory

skypuppy  (D 347)

Jan 31, 2010, 7:49 PM
Post #8 of 21 (2709 views)
Shortcut

The one you refer to as "Wim from Holland" that would be me, from Belgium actually, but I am not on that dive but you got the girlfriend right, Mag was my girlfriend in those days.

Sorry, I should have checked your profile before I replied. I actually debated Holland or Belgium before I posted, but got it wrong. I should have dug out my logbook, but I was just going from memory. Without looking it up I'm not even totally sure about the year, I would guess 1981/82 Xmas boogie.

Feb 1, 2010, 12:25 AM
Post #9 of 21 (2692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PapaSmurf] Z'hills in the eighties [In reply to] Can't Post

Since Papasmurf is not very tall and has a beard, i would guess Josh Wolfe?

Feb 1, 2010, 9:27 AM
Post #10 of 21 (2641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkydiveJack] Z'hills in the eighties [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
the Night 40 way
Hi Jack, did you go on the 56 way or so that we tried later that season out Silver Bullet (right hand door) and Southern Cross? The dive didn't build and I have no pics.
Wim

BKR

Feb 1, 2010, 9:52 AM
Post #11 of 21 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jack,

do you remember the 60way star Turkey Meet 87?

SkydiveJack  (D 6486)

Feb 1, 2010, 10:04 AM
Post #12 of 21 (2629 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Quote:
the Night 40 way
Hi Jack, did you go on the 56 way or so that we tried later that season out Silver Bullet (right hand door) and Southern Cross? The dive didn't build and I have no pics.
Wim

Wim,
I don't remember a 56 way Night attempt but I do remember daytime formation loads with the Silver Bullet & Southern Cross. That was so strange going out of a right hand DC-3 door!

Jrme,
You bet I remember the 60 way Big O!!!!

Feb 1, 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #13 of 21 (2593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BKR] Z'hills in the eighties [In reply to] Can't Post

Salut Jerome, I remember that one too, I was on it as well, the only pic I have ever seen was on the frontpage of "Skydiving" I think it was Norman Kent's.
Would be great if it came out of the woodworks.

Niki1  (D 3103)

Feb 2, 2010, 9:37 AM
Post #14 of 21 (2508 views)
Shortcut

Wim,
I don't remember a 56 way Night attempt but I do remember daytime formation loads with the Silver Bullet & Southern Cross. That was so strange going out of a right hand DC-3 door!

Jrme,
You bet I remember the 60 way Big O!!!!

Jack, Tudo Bon?
I think the first 50 way round was in DeLand around the same time. There was probably some competition between DeLand and the Hills. Tommy Pirus organized it. He and Aziz set up abort 50 feet apart and Skip Kneilly (sp) set up accross from (?) 90 degrees off. We made 4 12 & 13 way lines and closed them up. Well, that was the plan. When the last grips started to close the circle, it was whipping and waving like it was about to explode. I wound up closing the last grip, grabbing the arm to my left on the way down to the arm on the right about 10 feet. It held together and I was the hero. It could VERY easily been exactly the other way. Unfortunately, the video from above didn't show the level difference and most of the people on lthe load were concentrating so hard on the person directly accross from them that few realize how close it had been. But they all said I owed beer for being the first person to close 50th. I bough and tried to drink most of it. Smile

Gene03

Feb 2, 2010, 9:50 AM
Post #15 of 21 (2505 views)
Shortcut

...and who can forget the wet t-shirt contests.

Scotty, thanks for the mammaries.

jumpwally  (D License)

Feb 23, 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #16 of 21 (2268 views)
Shortcut

Who was doing all the organizin' back then ?

murrays  (C 1285)

Feb 23, 2010, 9:50 PM
Post #17 of 21 (2211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jumpwally] Z'hills in the eighties [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Skyjack, Jerry Bird, Shoobi Knutson, Peter Gannaw, Eric Bradley, Sox (John Rostoks) are the ones that I remember from my small number of visits.

Oh yeah, and some crazy guy named Scotty CarboneSlySlySly

(This post was edited by murrays on Feb 23, 2010, 9:51 PM)

davidlayne  (D 3102)

Feb 24, 2010, 3:38 AM
Post #18 of 21 (2196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [murrays] Z'hills in the eighties [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Skyjack, Jerry Bird, Shoobi Knutson, Peter Gannaw, Eric Bradley, Sox (John Rostoks) are the ones that I remember from my small number of visits.

Oh yeah, and some crazy guy named Scotty CarboneSlySlySly

Don't forget Bob Harman.

piisfish

Feb 24, 2010, 5:24 AM
Post #19 of 21 (2182 views)
Shortcut

in teh Chopper Boogie Picture, is Charles Von Sury the guy with the huge beard already ? Shocked

Feb 24, 2010, 6:31 AM
Post #20 of 21 (2175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piisfish] Z'hills in the eighties [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes.

Feb 24, 2010, 6:38 AM
Post #21 of 21 (2172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davidlayne] Z'hills in the eighties [In reply to] Can't Post

In the early eighties there was also Bill Older, Then later Larry Boudreau, Craig Buxton and many others...

Forums : Skydiving : Skydiving History & Trivia

Search for (options)