Forums: General: Introductions and Greets:
New to the skies!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

LadyDoc  (Student)

Jan 3, 2010, 10:34 AM
Post #1 of 57 (2296 views)
Shortcut
New to the skies! Can't Post

Hey everyone! My name is Megan and after doing two tandems, I decided that I'd just rather jump on my own! I'm scheduled to start my AFF next weekend!! I'm so excited but it's going to be so cold! (highs in the 50s!!) I live in Titusville, FL, but my preferred DZ is Deland. I do, however, have quite a large amount of tunnel time- I was a little nervous about not being able to know/do anything in the sky. In the tunnel, I'm working on sit flying right now. I look forward to meeting lots of other skydivers!Angelic

mutumbo  (Student)

Jan 3, 2010, 6:04 PM
Post #2 of 57 (2224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LadyDoc] New to the skies! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sweet Smile just did my level 1 jump at deland today, since the winds were too strong yesterday, plan on doing as many as i can next weekend, since my paycheck FINALLY came in. Make sure you dress in alot of layers its pretty cold up there. Good luck.Smile

LadyDoc  (Student)

Jan 3, 2010, 8:10 PM
Post #3 of 57 (2215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mutumbo] New to the skies! [In reply to] Can't Post

lol I'm going this week to get some underarmour because Sunday is supposed to be cold!! thank goodness, it'll be 10 degrees warmer than saturday! Who is doing your AFF with you?

mutumbo  (Student)

Jan 3, 2010, 8:28 PM
Post #4 of 57 (2213 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
lol I'm going this week to get some underarmour because Sunday is supposed to be cold!! thank goodness, it'll be 10 degrees warmer than saturday! Who is doing your AFF with you?
Yea i wore an underarmour long sleeve shirt a t shirt and a long sleeve shirt under my jumpsuit with jeans and gloves. After you catch your breath from the cold its not bad lol. My main side instructor is a guy named Nikki, and my other instructor is manny. Both are incredibly awsome, attentive and all around know their shit. Do you know who you will be paired wih yet or have you not found out yet??

LadyDoc  (Student)

Jan 3, 2010, 8:34 PM
Post #5 of 57 (2209 views)
Shortcut

Yea, I'll be with Nick (red haired South African man). My second instructor, I'm not sure of. My sister used to work at the indoor skydiving tunnel in Orlando and I met Nick quite a while back. When I decided to do my AFF, she said without a hesitation to go with Nick. She learned with him and she said he was just amazing. He's really excited to work with me. I'm familiar with both Nikki and Manny. Have you been to any of the big events at deland? my sister and I went when they were doing 100-way kaleidoscopes. Awesome. I thoroughly suggest that you go out to those. The next time they have the kaleidoscopes.

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
Jan 4, 2010, 9:04 AM
Post #6 of 57 (2190 views)
Shortcut

Welcome to the forums! Smile My home dz is Deland too. I wasn't out last weekend though, it was WAY too cold for me to jump! I hope I get a chance to meet you soon though. Good luck with your training, I think you picked a good place to go.

mutumbo  (Student)

Jan 4, 2010, 9:16 AM
Post #7 of 57 (2188 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Yea, I'll be with Nick (red haired South African man). My second instructor, I'm not sure of. My sister used to work at the indoor skydiving tunnel in Orlando and I met Nick quite a while back. When I decided to do my AFF, she said without a hesitation to go with Nick. She learned with him and she said he was just amazing. He's really excited to work with me. I'm familiar with both Nikki and Manny. Have you been to any of the big events at deland? my sister and I went when they were doing 100-way kaleidoscopes. Awesome. I thoroughly suggest that you go out to those. The next time they have the kaleidoscopes.

thats awsome! Ill totally check it out!! No i just started going there this past weekend but i plan on being oit there at least one weekend day a week till i get my A liscense. Are you gonna be out rhere this weekend skymama or is it atill to cold lol??
Ladydoc ill be there saturday for sure prolly around 930.

Jan 4, 2010, 9:20 AM
Post #8 of 57 (2187 views)
Shortcut

If it's under 60, I won't be jumping! Sly

mutumbo  (Student)

Jan 4, 2010, 9:45 AM
Post #9 of 57 (2184 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skymama] New to the skies! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
If it's under 60, I won't be jumping! Sly

Ohh come on the wind only knocked the breath out of me and completely broke my concentration for only about 30 seconds haha!! Shocked lol

mgregory  (B 36800)

Jan 4, 2010, 4:47 PM
Post #10 of 57 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Us Michigan jumpers would be happy with 40 degrees right now!

Jan 4, 2010, 6:07 PM
Post #11 of 57 (2166 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mgregory] New to the skies! [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:

Yeah, but Floridians are pussies-we have to put a sweatshirt on when it goes below 70. Sly

mutumbo  (Student)

Jan 4, 2010, 6:25 PM
Post #12 of 57 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Hey ma'am speak for yourself!! Im good till like 60 TongueSly

mgregory  (B 36800)

Jan 4, 2010, 7:12 PM
Post #13 of 57 (2154 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Quote:

Yeah, but Floridians are pussies-we have to put a sweatshirt on when it goes below 70. Sly

Maybe you should come up to Michigan so when you go back you appreciate your "cold" tempsSmile And we don't wear sweatshirts up here... we grow a winter coat!

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Jan 5, 2010, 4:53 AM
Post #14 of 57 (2137 views)
Shortcut

Dude, I'm with 'Mama on this one.
Florida blood freezes at 70.

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Jan 5, 2010, 4:56 AM
Post #15 of 57 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Yep...you can't go wrong with Deland.

Tunnel rats...hmmmmmm
I do know of one who graduated AFF in 1 jump.
Couldn't fly a canopy for squat but knew his stuff and flew like and eagle.

mutumbo  (Student)

Jan 5, 2010, 7:55 AM
Post #16 of 57 (2127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [popsjumper] New to the skies! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude, I'm with 'Mama on this one.
Florida blood freezes at 70.

pansies!! SlyTongue

LadyDoc  (Student)

Jan 5, 2010, 7:51 PM
Post #17 of 57 (2101 views)
Shortcut

lol you all are hilarious!! SkyMama, I look forward to seeing you out there sometime! I just nailed down the schedule with Nick. I'll be doing ground school Friday afternoon and then jumps Saturday and Sunday. As per Michigan jumpers- we are going to be down in the 40s on those days, so, we'll be feeling your pain!!

mutumbo  (Student)

Jan 5, 2010, 8:17 PM
Post #18 of 57 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Stupid cold weather! Thats great about the schedule! Nikki just told me to show up whenever, haha. So i figure ill be out there saturday since i gotta move all my stuff from my old house to my new appt sunday.

Ground school shouldnt take you that long, if you are he only student like i was. I think i got done in a little over 3 hours, it was fun either way Smile

Jan 6, 2010, 7:43 AM
Post #19 of 57 (2084 views)
Shortcut

I won't be out there this weekend. Look for me when it warms up! Sly

LadyDoc  (Student)

Jan 6, 2010, 2:32 PM
Post #20 of 57 (2061 views)
Shortcut

The more and more we talk about this, the less I want to jump! and not because I'm worried about flinging myself out of a plane, but because it's going to feel like ice!!!

mutumbo  (Student)

Jan 6, 2010, 3:23 PM
Post #21 of 57 (2055 views)
Shortcut

Ok let me break it down exactly how its gonna go lol.... He door will open you will think " fuuuuuck its cold!!" then you move down goin " brrrr lets get this done with" then you get positioned in the dor with the wind in your face youll look down and go" god im an idiot (a leasr thats what i did lol)" then youll do your hotel check, jump then once you exit the cold will take your breath away and totally break your cncentration for about 20 seconds then after thaT its all good. Smile

then you will get under canopy and go WOOOOOOHOOOO and none of he cold will matter and youll want to do it again in a heartbeat.

tHats prolly how it will go lol. At leas thats how it went for me, haha Smile

(typed this from an iphone sorry for the speling mistakes haha)

wolfriverjoe  (A 50013)

Jan 6, 2010, 3:39 PM
Post #22 of 57 (2052 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
The more and more we talk about this, the less I want to jump! and not because I'm worried about flinging myself out of a plane, but because it's going to feel like ice!!!

You won't feel it.

Trust me, I've jumped with exit temps near -20.
The door opens, you feel the wind and go "Oh shit! That's COLD!". Then whoever is spotting calls the cut (182 DZ) and nothing else matters but the jump.

You won't even notice the cold until after the canopy opens.

half-a-greek  (C 39212)

Jan 6, 2010, 3:42 PM
Post #23 of 57 (2050 views)
Shortcut

15 degrees is the limit at my DZ... pansy asses Tongue

Jan 6, 2010, 4:23 PM
Post #24 of 57 (2042 views)
Shortcut

Quote:

I probably would have jumped back in the day when I was a newbie. Now that I have a few jumps and years under my belt the thrill of jumping in less than desirable temperatures is gone. Living in FL makes it way too easy to just wait unitl another weekend. We're definitely spoiled here!

Dress in layers, get some sport gloves and a neck gator, you'll be fine. Smile

LadyDoc  (Student)

Jan 6, 2010, 8:04 PM
Post #25 of 57 (2020 views)
Shortcut

LOL you all are hilarious. I agree mutumbo, I'm sure that's about how it'll go down. layers will definitely be worn. HOLY CRAP JUMPS IN DEGREES BELOW ZERO?!???!?! oh my. that makes 40s sound kinda pathetic. Thank goodness, my sister and a few of our friends from the tunnel will be there to cuddle in either aircraft.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : General : Introductions and Greets

Search for (options)