Forums: Skydiving: Skydiving History & Trivia:
Cessnas in formation

howardwhite  (C 3896)

Dec 9, 2009, 1:56 PM
Post #1 of 21 (4282 views)
Shortcut
Cessnas in formation Can't Post

A pretty picture. If you jumped in this area back in the day, you probably know where and about when this was taken.

HW
Attachments: cessnas.jpg (48.7 KB)

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Dec 9, 2009, 4:29 PM
Post #2 of 21 (4226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [howardwhite] Cessnas in formation [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi howard,

Issaquah?

If not, then Snohomish probably.

I'm thinking a Dave Ruckert event.

JerryBaumchen

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Dec 9, 2009, 7:34 PM
Post #3 of 21 (4198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JerryBaumchen] Cessnas in formation [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi howard,

Issaquah?

JerryBaumchen

I am not sure, let me get my glasses and take a better look. Angelic

Sparky

beenthere  (D 5729)

Dec 9, 2009, 8:07 PM
Post #4 of 21 (4194 views)
Shortcut

Dave Ruckert's 55 way attempts out of 15 Cessnas over Snohomish. ?89-90?

I think he only came up with 12 Cessnas and also Kapowsins Otter.

10 Way speed out of 5 Cessna formations was great fun. Thanks Dav3e.

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Dec 10, 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #5 of 21 (4103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] Cessnas in formation [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sparky,

Quote:
Dave Ruckert

If I remember Dave for anything it will be for when he showed up at a Seattle Skydivers xmas party with a fish tie. He had an actual salmon hanging from his neck. Crazy

JerryBaumchen

beenthere  (D 5729)

Dec 10, 2009, 4:20 PM
Post #6 of 21 (4065 views)
Shortcut

Found this...
Attachments: Photo001.jpg (79.2 KB)

377  (F 666)

Dec 11, 2009, 2:13 PM
Post #7 of 21 (3959 views)
Shortcut

WOW! I am impressed. It's not like a loaded Cessna can just goose the power and close a gap in a second like the Blue Angels or T Birds do.

I was in a multi Cessna jump at Taft long long ago and you'd have needed a real wide angle lens to get the (three?) planes in one photo.

lodestar

Dec 11, 2009, 2:28 PM
Post #8 of 21 (3952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [377] Cessnas in formation [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like a typical weekend fuster cluck to me.....lol....quite a nice potential for screw ups with that many aircraft....hope it went well....

howardwhite  (C 3896)

Dec 11, 2009, 3:42 PM
Post #9 of 21 (3942 views)
Shortcut

I'm guessing it's at Issaquah. My scan is labelled Jamie Woodward.
I was at a USPA board meeting there and we had 4-6 Cessna formations there.

HW

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Dec 11, 2009, 4:49 PM
Post #10 of 21 (3930 views)
Shortcut

Hi howard,

Jamie ran Issaquah from ~'75 until it closed due to lease problems. He then moved to Snohomish, not sure what year.

So it could be either place. With the mountains I was thinking Itsasquaw but I sometimes am wrong. Crazy

JerryBaumchen

Amazon  (D License)

Dec 11, 2009, 8:44 PM
Post #11 of 21 (3903 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Hi howard,

Issaquah?

JerryBaumchen

Looks like Snohomish Valley.. with Mt Pilchuck in the background to the North.

beenthere  (D 5729)

Dec 11, 2009, 9:35 PM
Post #12 of 21 (3895 views)
Shortcut

It was the second annual Cessna Boogie at Snohomish May 1989, (see photo) and if the skydives had been as good as the aircraft formations, we would have completed every load.
Attachments: Photo001.jpg (79.2 KB)

johnmatrix  (D 9999)

Jan 31, 2012, 2:59 AM
Post #13 of 21 (3249 views)
Shortcut
Re: Cessnas in formation [In reply to] Can't Post

I jumped with Dav3e over Xmas and he showed me a picture of the event he organised. Totally awesome!

obelixtim  (D 84)

Jan 31, 2012, 3:44 AM
Post #14 of 21 (3237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johnmatrix] Cessnas in formation [In reply to] Can't Post

Trying to get them all in proximity to enable a successful dive would be pretty hard...too many variables in aircraft performance, pilot ability and skydiver co ordinaation to make it easy....

We organised a 6 way attempt out of 6 Tiger Moth aircraft one time, back in the late 70's, only getting to 4 grand before the performance of the aircraft fell away,

As soon as we got out of the front cockpit on to the wing the formation fell apart...I think we got a 4 way together before we ran out of altitude.

Interesting to try though.....

Krip  (Student)

Jan 31, 2012, 9:48 AM
Post #15 of 21 (3172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [obelixtim] Cessnas in formation [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Trying to get them all in proximity to enable a successful dive would be pretty hard...too many variables in aircraft performance, pilot ability and skydiver co ordinaation to make it easy....

We organised a 6 way attempt out of 6 Tiger Moth aircraft one time, back in the late 70's, only getting to 4 grand before the performance of the aircraft fell away,

As soon as we got out of the front cockpit on to the wing the formation fell apart...I think we got a 4 way together before we ran out of altitude.

Interesting to try though.....

Hi

Were were on the ground when the 15 cessna formation flew over head in a tight V formation sounded like hornets nest. It was snohomish.

Just getting 15 cessna's to show up at one timein working order was a feat by itself. Yes there were some other coordination problems with the exit from 15 planes but Ruckett had a plane, some jumper were a little to eager to exit. ETC.

May have a pic of the little dots flying in a tight V from the ground somewhere. The audio would be better.

Only second time Wink I've seen the patch wasn't on the load. I think John Mitchel was includeing 59 others. Plus the bench.

Didn't stay around long enough to see if they ever made the 55 way from the cessnas. Saw a few attempts and the video used for the debrief.

R.

lodestar

Jan 31, 2012, 9:56 AM
Post #16 of 21 (3171 views)
Shortcut

Great Shot Howard....I can remember back in the day at Zhills we ran the 182, 196, lodestar and a 3 in formation to get the numbers....where were those Twin Otters when we needed them....?

Tidlof  (D 6691)

Feb 1, 2012, 8:29 PM
Post #17 of 21 (3072 views)
Shortcut
Re: [beenthere] Cessnas in formation [In reply to] Can't Post

It was at Snohomish as Jamie Woodward had closed Issaquah several years earlier and been running Slow-ho for some time. With Jamie's organization, the logisitics weren't that hard.

I brought my 182 over from Spokane and, along with most of the jumpers, had some apprehension about how tight and safe the formations would be. But after the first load, we all relaxed and knew that the challenge was getting all 55 jumpers into the dense slow falling diamond.

Norm Kent gave us plane owners some plane to plane shots that give some perspective (as well as just great photography). I'll see if I can find those.

I had a great time and I think almost everyone on the load and the pilots did too.

Here's a picture of Dave from that era that I still have sitting on my bookshelf and enjoy looking at. When I met him 30+ years ago, I never thought I'd say that.
Attachments: Dave.JPG (240 KB)

Tidlof  (D 6691)

Feb 1, 2012, 9:36 PM
Post #18 of 21 (3061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tidlof] Cessnas in formation [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a picture of the 1st year (1988). This is as close as we got that year at least. We may have completed it in 90 or 91, but by then, it was just Dav3 fun and we didn't really care.

Also here's a picture of the pointy end of the formation. It was also impressive just seeing all those Cessna's lined up on the taxiway. Looked tight and squared away.

I think I threw away the Norm Kent plane pics as they were very nice but only 5x7's.
Attachments: 55 diamond (2).jpg (192 KB)
  formation.JPG (56.2 KB)
  taxi.JPG (50.3 KB)

airtwardo  (D License)

Feb 2, 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #19 of 21 (3018 views)
Shortcut

I had a great time and I think almost everyone on the load and the pilots did too.

In reply to:

VERY interesting thread!

As a jumper-dumper on something like that...what kind of 'dirt diving' did you pilots do?

It's seems like a whole lotta organization and TRUST had to be a part of the flying end on those dives! Cool

3mpire  (C 39657)

Feb 27, 2012, 8:11 PM
Post #20 of 21 (2878 views)
Shortcut

Wow. That is incredible.

PROGRESSIVE  (D 8150)

Feb 28, 2012, 9:07 AM
Post #21 of 21 (2827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [3mpire] Cessnas in formation [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow!