Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Mal Pictures

a97virago  (A 43434)

Feb 5, 2003, 8:20 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Mal Pictures Can't Post

I know this has been asked for FJC's. However, as a non-instructor/DZO, I'm looking for anyone that has jpgs of the varioius mals. I've had a side by side turned into a downplane on my 8th jump and it really re-enforced in me the need to constantly be reviewing emergency procedures. Thanks.

Larry

a97virago  (A 43434)

Feb 5, 2003, 9:06 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a97virago] Mal Pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

I see alot of people viewing this post. Come on, say something! I won't bite...

... Well I won't say "Never"

Larry

TattooedMoFo  (C License)

Feb 5, 2003, 9:57 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1200 views)
Shortcut

Ther aren't any hard and fast rules for mals of that nature. The situtation is different everytime( different sizes of the mains to the reserve eg:small main large reserve, vice versa. Altitude when mal started, sequence of evets leading up to that eg: were you aware of reserve deploying.) There are alot of factors to take into consideration and this is why you won't get a hard and fast answear to use if this happens again.
Airtec recently did a good talk on having 2 canopies out at the BPA AGM and if this type of post hasn't been covered before get in touch with them they might have something you.

jerry81

Feb 5, 2003, 10:03 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1191 views)
Shortcut

Check the forums for discussions on malfunctions and incidents, check the malfunctions in the pictures' gallery here on dz.com, also try and find some malfunction videos (there are few on ftp.skydivingmovies.com <-I'd make it clicky but it's better that you open it with a ftp client)- I think they're even better than pictures because you get to see how the mal happens, how it's resolved and just how fast everything can get. But then again, you've been in a downplane so you should know better than me (the most serious 'malfunctions' I've had so far were linetwists on my first jump that I kicked out of with no problem and a couple of really scary pc hesitations due to bad body position).
And of course, whenever you're at the dz and not jumping, look up when parachutes start opening. You're bound to see a malfunction sooner or laterWink.

AirMail  (A 41633)

Feb 5, 2003, 10:31 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1173 views)
Shortcut

I highly recommend buying the "Break Away" video. I did and had watched it twice in the 3 weeks prior to my 2 out mal downplane. I knew exactly what to do. It's an excellent video which you can get from many of the online skydiving stores.

Glad you survived.

Patrick

gus

Feb 6, 2003, 1:18 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1023 views)
Shortcut

I found a whole load of mal pics on http://www.pierltd.com but I don't remember where, it's worth having a look around.

Edit: Found them here

Gus

(This post was edited by gus on Feb 6, 2003, 3:45 AM)

jtval  (D 26340)

Feb 6, 2003, 1:37 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AirMail] Mal Pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

I second that motion. BREAK AWAY is a great video for familiarizing yourself with malfunctions and some possible procedures toget out of them alive!

the best thing is to know how to avoid them(although there isnt a 100% gaurantee that you can avoid them...therefore you should buy this video and learn what to do in such cases)Wink

a97virago  (A 43434)

Feb 6, 2003, 6:13 PM
Post #8 of 8 (938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jtval] Mal Pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

BLUE MAN RULES!!! But that's a topic for another thread!

Thank you all for your advice! I opted to order Breakaway, can't wait to get it. Is Ground Rush worth the money?

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)