First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

WatchYourStep  (D License)

Nov 13, 2009, 8:20 AM
Post #1 of 63 (3433 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts... Can't Post

Discuss...

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1923808

(This post was edited by WatchYourStep on Nov 13, 2009, 8:21 AM)

JohnRich  (D License)

Nov 13, 2009, 8:31 AM
Post #2 of 63 (3406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WatchYourStep] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

You start...

Nov 13, 2009, 8:50 AM
Post #3 of 63 (3389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

A poor example of how an instructor should act...

dninness  (D 19617)

Nov 13, 2009, 9:22 AM
Post #4 of 63 (3368 views)
Shortcut

I thought it was flippin' hilarious. But then, I'm into CollegeHumor.com, and those dudes are always at each other.

Ain't no worse than, say, the old "laundry in the main pack tray" routine......

/Gratuitous Fandango Reference

ficus  (D 29186)

Nov 13, 2009, 9:40 AM
Post #5 of 63 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Of course the dz.com pitchfork squad will want this guy's head, but this was pretty funny. Not as good as their other pranks, but I laughed.

Andrewwhyte  (C 1988)

Nov 13, 2009, 9:45 AM
Post #6 of 63 (3347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dninness] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Ain't no worse than, say, the old "laundry in the main pack tray" routine......
Except the old "laundry in the main pack tray" routine has never actually been used. That was a movie.
Yes it was funny and no harm no foul, but I really don't want to spend all next season telling people that I will not do this to their friend. Unless of course they are talking about a lot of money.

billeisele  (A 5643)

Nov 13, 2009, 9:49 AM
Post #7 of 63 (3343 views)
Shortcut

other than all the stuff that could have gone wrong

it was funny but not so much for the victim

my goal is not to scare my student, hopefully that reduces the risk of them doing something crazy that will hurt me

airathanas  (D 29277)

Nov 13, 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #8 of 63 (3312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billeisele] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't there a thread about this already in the Bonfire?

fencebuster  (D 29918)

Nov 13, 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #9 of 63 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Well, I am just a brand new TI, and an AFFI for less than a year, but my opinion is that no instructor should purposefully terrorize a student. You never know, had the guy been provided a professional experience, he might have decided to become a skydiver. I suspect he has no interest in that now. We need to keep in mind, I think, that the skydive is the tandem student's skydive and that the student is not a tool for our own amusement or the amusement of some third party willing to pay to terrorize the student. Our job is to provide a professional, safe, and fun experience for the student. What was done to the student was probably not "unsafe" but I don't believe it was either "professional" or fun for the student. That's my personal opinion but I think the very experienced TIs at my DZ would probably agree.

Nov 13, 2009, 10:59 AM
Post #10 of 63 (3303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fencebuster] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

See Charlie gets it...

Yes Elizabeth there is a topic on this in the Bonfire. Some people don't frequent that forum and I wanted to see the thoughts of a few more instructors.

Love Skydive 35, did my TI training down there, great place!

ozzy13  (D 29344)

Nov 13, 2009, 1:11 PM
Post #11 of 63 (3247 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by ozzy13 [In reply to]

fencebuster  (D 29918)

Nov 13, 2009, 1:15 PM
Post #12 of 63 (3241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ozzy13] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

A prank where the only one not in on the joke was the student who was terrorized on his first and probably only skydive. Brilliant!

AggieDave  (D License)

Nov 13, 2009, 5:00 PM
Post #13 of 63 (3167 views)
Shortcut

This was done specifically for a new(er) form of entertainment on the internet. How is it so different then the different things done involving skydiving for TV and the movies? Its slightly different, but all in all its still skydiving making arrangements for the entertainment industry.

Sure tandem jumps are a legitimate form of instruction, no one doubts this. This really isn't any different then MTV doing a TV show with an AFF jump (like they did a few years ago for one of their "reality" shows). It really isn't any different then any of the accommodations for the entertainment industry that skydiving has made over the last 40 years.

TaylorC  (D 29769)

Nov 13, 2009, 5:57 PM
Post #14 of 63 (3143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AggieDave] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

wow some of you guys take things to seriously when it comes to this kind of shit...

Andy9o8  (D License)

Nov 13, 2009, 9:40 PM
Post #15 of 63 (3092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airathanas] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Isn't there a thread about this already in the Bonfire?

Unimpressed
I hadn't noticed.

diablopilot  (D License)

Nov 13, 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #16 of 63 (3081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fencebuster] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, I am just a brand new TI, and an AFFI for less than a year, but my opinion is that no instructor should purposefully terrorize a student. You never know, had the guy been provided a professional experience, he might have decided to become a skydiver. I suspect he has no interest in that now. We need to keep in mind, I think, that the skydive is the tandem student's skydive and that the student is not a tool for our own amusement or the amusement of some third party willing to pay to terrorize the student. Our job is to provide a professional, safe, and fun experience for the student. What was done to the student was probably not "unsafe" but I don't believe it was either "professional" or fun for the student. That's my personal opinion but I think the very experienced TIs at my DZ would probably agree.

Smile

stratostar  (Student)

Nov 14, 2009, 5:28 AM
Post #17 of 63 (3039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
the student is not a tool for our own amusement or the amusement of some third party willing to pay to terrorize the student.

Unless it's for the right price, of course!

Look dude, you gotta quit being so 1996 man, it's a new century bro, thaaaangs is diff these daze you dig. Hell a lot of dz's been paying a third party to terrorize the students, these guys are making all the bread doing it in house and having a good time too.. Hey man 2009 already it's all about the cash flow "show me the money" bitch!

(This post was edited by stratostar on Nov 14, 2009, 5:29 AM)

markovwgti  (D 29993)

Nov 14, 2009, 9:23 PM
Post #18 of 63 (2891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

You guys gotta calm down, he was cool with it after he landed, the whole crew jumped and if i remember correctly streeter wanted to jump again after!

Andy9o8  (D License)

Nov 15, 2009, 2:46 AM
Post #19 of 63 (2855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [markovwgti] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
he was cool with it after he landed,

And if he'd freaked, and started grabbing handles, or maybe grabbed the TI's hands and toggles in a death grip at 50 feet? D'oh!! Never thought of that, did we? No problem; as long as it's funny, that makes it ok.

markovwgti  (D 29993)

Nov 15, 2009, 7:19 AM
Post #20 of 63 (2817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy9o8] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
he was cool with it after he landed,

And if he'd freaked, and started grabbing handles, or maybe grabbed the TI's hands and toggles in a death grip at 50 feet? D'oh!! Never thought of that, did we? No problem; as long as it's funny, that makes it ok.

At 50 feet he already knew about the joke...hell at 1k feet he knew about it...you could see that sign from 2k

Andy9o8  (D License)

Nov 15, 2009, 8:37 AM
Post #21 of 63 (2797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [markovwgti] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're either missing the point or evading it: a professional skydiving instructor does not participate in the terrorizing of a first-jump student, especially while the jump is in progress. Nitpicking over this detail or that does not change that.

hairymango

Nov 15, 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #22 of 63 (2761 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy9o8] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

hail fun nazi fuhrer Laugh

Andy9o8  (D License)

Nov 15, 2009, 3:28 PM
Post #23 of 63 (2717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hairymango] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

Papers, please.

kimemerson  (D 13439)

Nov 15, 2009, 4:06 PM
Post #24 of 63 (2702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hairymango] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Please allow the Nazis to own their reputation and stop diluting what they did by spreading their name around to others. The Nazis of WW II Germany were THE Nazis and no one else deserves to be lumped in with them. It's fucking disgusting! No one else should ever be called one. Unless they were.

Andrewwhyte  (C 1988)

Nov 15, 2009, 4:55 PM
Post #25 of 63 (2680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kimemerson] Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Please allow the Nazis to own their reputation and stop diluting what they did by spreading their name around to others. The Nazis of WW II Germany were THE Nazis and no one else deserves to be lumped in with them. It's fucking disgusting! No one else should ever be called one. Unless they were.
Who are you? The historical reference Nazi?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Instructors

Search for (options)