Forums: Skydiving: General Skydiving Discussions:
What are you thoughts on Videos?

a97virago  (A 43434)

Feb 3, 2003, 11:47 AM
Post #1 of 7 (708 views)
Shortcut
What are you thoughts on Videos? Can't Post

I'm looking for information/recommendations on some of the videos out there. Specifically Basic Freefall and Canopy skills video. I'm getting a bad case of skydive-itis, and I want to do some learning while it's still below freezing up here in NY and I can't jump.

A couple titles that I've seen are:
Pack like a Pro
Fly Like a Pro
Skydive 100 Basic Body Flight
Skydive 150 Basic Canopy Flight

and any others you might suggest!

Blue Skies,
Larry

rmcvey  (D 102366)

Feb 3, 2003, 11:54 AM
Post #2 of 7 (694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a97virago] What are you thoughts on Videos? [In reply to] Can't Post

Fly like a Pro is good addition to initial canopy training. And has some good skydiving footage thrown in for good measure.

Pack like a Pro, well, in my opinion save yourself the cash and just ask someone to show you how to pack.
You cant ask a video questions.

Not seen the others.

Edit to say:, get Breakaway! its excellent.

(This post was edited by rmcvey on Feb 3, 2003, 11:55 AM)

CanuckInUSA  (D 26396)

Feb 3, 2003, 11:56 AM
Post #3 of 7 (692 views)
Shortcut

I have "Pack like a Pro" as well as "Fly like a Pro". and they proved to be valuable in my early days in the sport. But I don't get as much from them now. But one video that I would recommend for new commers is "Break-away". It's a video about emergency prodecures and it's good to review every once in a while. They pretty much show you all of the bad things that can happen and recommend ways to save yourself.

Phlip  (D 25424)

Feb 3, 2003, 1:10 PM
Post #4 of 7 (642 views)
Shortcut

I bought Fly like a pro and pack like a pro. I was really disappointed. Not that the tapes are bad, but because I didn't really learned anything new. I guess I have to thank my instructors and the people who taught me how to pack...

a97virago  (A 43434)

Feb 3, 2003, 1:18 PM
Post #5 of 7 (634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Phlip] What are you thoughts on Videos? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that's high marks for you and your instructors.

I"m just trying to wile away the hours until the DZ opens, and to reinforce what I've learned. As far as packing is concerned, I've packed and jump my student rig, but it was all so confusing. I just need to see it a few more times before I try again in the spring. And Body Flight, well, I'm still working on my back loop, but again, I figure a little theoretical learning might help. I was going to write that I need assistance in landing too, but that's kind of redunant considering I'm still a student and have the bruises and break to prove it!

CanuckInUSA  (D 26396)

Feb 3, 2003, 1:28 PM
Post #6 of 7 (628 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I"m just trying to wile away the hours until the DZ opens, and to reinforce what I've learned. As far as packing is concerned, I've packed and jump my student rig, but it was all so confusing.

Hey if you're willing to pay for the shipping costs, I'd likely be willing to give you my copy of "Pack like a Pro" as I doubt I need that video any more.

rickfri59  (A 42078)

Feb 3, 2003, 2:33 PM
Post #7 of 7 (593 views)
Shortcut

I got a lot from Fly Like A Pro, especially the concepts of flying in brakes, deep brakes, doing braked (flat) turns, and using what I think they refer to as the "accuracy trick" for determining your landing spot. My last 4 jumps of the season (Early November) I experimented with some of the concepts presented in the video and found them to be very effective. I also watch Break Away (over and over), which I find quite fascinating. Hopefully I'll never have to....... I've also got Free Fall which is o.k. if you want to see some history of the sport. I also have a DVD from some outfit called Cowboy Video Productions. It's a bunch of Freefly video of pretty much the same 5 or 6 guys that was taken at the WFF get together in Rantoul (sp) IL during the summer of 2002. This isn't too bad. It gets a bit repitious, but none the less it's something to watch during the winter here in NH. I've seen posts from others who say Reaper Cam isn't worth anything. I'd like to see Good Stuff, but I'm putting $ 20 bills away for the upcoming season.

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)