Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
military HALO altimeter panel?

377  (F 666)

Aug 27, 2009, 4:37 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1135 views)
Shortcut
military HALO altimeter panel? Can't Post

I have seen a lot of the MA 2-30 altimeters but this setup for a chest reserve mount is new to me. It appears to be made for the miltary and has a battery plug, switch and lighted hood for night jumping. North Star 20K altimeters were used by some jumpers in the 70s. This looks the same as the ones I saw then. I remember they were a hassle to wrist mount beacuse they had only 3 instead of four mounting holes.

Take a look at the photo. Any info welcomed. The Army SOG were doing night HALOs in Viet Nam, wonder if this was made for those ops?

(This post was edited by 377 on Aug 27, 2009, 4:49 PM)
Attachments: Northstar closeup.jpg (11.3 KB)
  Northstar BACK.jpg (10.0 KB)
  Northstar HAHO altimeter panel.jpg (10.5 KB)

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Aug 28, 2009, 8:29 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [377] military HALO altimeter panel? [In reply to] Can't Post

Judging by the slots along the edges, it was designed to strap onto the top of a chest reserves (via pack opening bands).

While the US military did a few HALO jumps into Viet Nam and Cambodia, they still have not released many details. Special Forces types are notoriously close-mouthed about insertion methods.

For example, a friend claims that he was loaned to the US Army (because he spoke french) and assisted with dozens of HALO insertions (across the Cambodian border) but there is no documentation to confirm his story

RIGGER160  (D 12345)

Aug 28, 2009, 10:53 AM
Post #3 of 3 (978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] military HALO altimeter panel? [In reply to] Can't Post

Those must have been some scary insertions. HALO insertion with round canopy at night into the jungle somewhere. Those men have some big balls...

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)