Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Freeflying:
the future

thrillstalker  (C 40678)

Aug 4, 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1158 views)
Shortcut
the future Can't Post

i am still a student and i know that im a long way off from being able to even attempt freeflying. it is the discipline that i am most interested in learning. can i go straight to freeflying or are there other disciplines i need to do first??? i did really well on my aff jumps and didnt have to repeat any, and i am a pretty stable flier for a student. what is the suggested jump number i need to reach before i start attempting to freefly??? also im a big guy so i tend to fall like a brick. one of my instructors on aff 7 was sitflying while i was falling belly to earth. will this be a problem (not having anyone that can keep up), or will i still be able to slow my fall rate in freefly positions???
thanks and blue skies!

caldefly  (C 36628)

Aug 18, 2009, 2:05 PM
Post #2 of 3 (799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thrillstalker] the future [In reply to] Can't Post

well, different people take different approaches when trying a new discipline. some tips for you:
1. there is a lot to learn on belly flying, try improving your tracking skills fro example.
2. start learning how to fly on your back and then try sit flying. ( this may take a few jumps or even 100's to get it right) .
3.skydive university website has some great videos to learn freeflying.
4. I Personally went from belly flying to wingsuits and then freeflying . I am still learning a lot on al disciplines.
5. Get a coach.

No matter what approach you take, always keep it safe.... and one jump at the time..

Rstanley0312  (D 31900)

Aug 27, 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #3 of 3 (624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thrillstalker] the future [In reply to] Can't Post

JMO but I would say get to atleast 100 jumps before you start backflying then going to a sit. I feel you need to build a lot more air awarness and tracking skills. That bing said some disagree with me but I think it gives you an advantage and could keep you from making a big mistake that could be really bad that would not be as bad on your belly.

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Freeflying

Search for (options)