Forums: Archive: 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections:
Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX

diablopilot  (D License)

Jul 10, 2009, 4:28 AM
Post #1 of 25 (2770 views)
Shortcut
Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX Can't Post

Well the forum title is a bit dated, but I'm here and if anyone is interested, or has questions, let me know. I'll try to keep up a running dialog.

The Pacific Regional Director resigned in the last few weeks, and since I have an interest and am in that Region, I'm going to try to convince the board that I'm the right guy to fill Q's shoes for the rest of the term.

Krisanne (NWFLYER) and Craig (topdocker) are also putting their names in the hat for the job, so good luck to them!Smile

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Jul 10, 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #2 of 25 (2701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard on good authority that Craig Stapleton was chosen as Pacific Regional Director.

I question the choice of a jumper who is rarely if ever seen at dz's other than where he calls home or those hosting CRW events to represent a region. I also question why someone who didn't show interest in a BOD position at election time was chosen over two people who were candidates for ND slots then and were expressing interest in the position now.

Too bad those questions will never be answered...

bbarnhouse  (D License)
Pixie
Jul 10, 2009, 1:10 PM
Post #3 of 25 (2672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skybytch] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

It would seem the appropriate thing to have done would have been to offer the position to the person that had the next highest amount of votes from the last election...Am just whacked or what?Shocked

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Jul 10, 2009, 1:16 PM
Post #4 of 25 (2671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbarnhouse] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
It would seem the appropriate thing to have done would have been to offer the position to the person that had the next highest amount of votes from the last election...Am just whacked or what?Shocked

Well, yes, you're whacked, but that's another topic altogether. Wink

The process the board used is what's in the bylaws; to go with what you proposed would require changing the bylaws, first.

Another challenge with what you proposed is that (unfortunately) the regional director races often go uncontested. It wasn't the case with the Pacific Region this year (results below), but it was for several other regions. That could complicate the replacement process if there were no one else to go to.

Quote:
Pacific
Chris Quaintance 93
Melissa Nelson 42
Brian Fairhurst 34

(This post was edited by NWFlyer on Jul 10, 2009, 1:16 PM)

Jul 10, 2009, 1:35 PM
Post #5 of 25 (2662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbarnhouse] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
It would seem the appropriate thing to have done would have been to offer the position to the person that had the next highest amount of votes from the last election.

That would seem the most fair to me as well. Should they decline the offer, then open it to others.

In many ways I'd be fine with this choice if it had been an ND slot, although I still think the next highest votegetter should be offered the position first. The CRW community deserves representation on the board too. I just hope that representation doesn't come at the expense of an entire region. Especially when there were two other candidates, both of whom are known at multiple dz's in the region, that put their names in the hat.

The overall impression that I get is that they either picked someone they knew or chose based on years in sport instead of picking someone they don't know who might upset the apple cart...

(This post was edited by skybytch on Jul 10, 2009, 2:21 PM)

bbarnhouse  (D License)
Pixie
Jul 10, 2009, 1:49 PM
Post #6 of 25 (2657 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Well, yes, you're whacked, but that's another topic altogether

Why thank you Krissane..that's about the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day! BwahhhCool

I do realize that it would require a change, but goodness.

I am not much in to POLLY TICKS...I will leave that to folks with more gray matter and mental megnatitude.Sly

diablopilot  (D License)

Jul 10, 2009, 2:32 PM
Post #7 of 25 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
The overall impression that I get is that they either picked someone they knew or chose based on years in sport instead of picking someone they don't know who might upset the apple cart...

Some of the deciding issues mentioned to me between Craig and I included the fact that while I started in the region, my return is somewhat recent while Craig has some history here. In addition I under estimated the need and effect to get written support sent to the BOD, and started a little late in my pursuit of such support, where as Craig had quite a bit sent in prior to his arrival.

I've had a brief conversation with him, and hope to have a longer one later, I think he'll put in a great effort, I wish him the best in the endeavor, and as an S&TA in the region under him I plan on working closely with him.

Smile

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Jul 10, 2009, 2:36 PM
Post #8 of 25 (2643 views)
Shortcut

The two potential candidates that showed up here made their pitch to the BOD. The one who had a previuos commitment did not show up (for that obvious reason). The BOD listened to the statements from each candidate then dismissed the gallery and voted according to their opinions. That is within their power to do so as is written in the USPA's documentation.

Jul 10, 2009, 4:30 PM
Post #9 of 25 (2626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MikeTJumps] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
The two potential candidates that showed up here made their pitch to the BOD. The one who had a previuos commitment did not show up (for that obvious reason). The BOD listened to the statements from each candidate then dismissed the gallery and voted according to their opinions. That is within their power to do so as is written in the USPA's documentation.

Not questioning whether proper written procedure was followed or not. Merely expressing my opinion that said written procedure does not seem to be the fairest method to handle this kind of situation - fair both to the members in the region and to those who have already put effort out expressing their interest.

Why did the seat have to be filled at this meeting? I understand that the bylaws say "at the next meeting", but is there not some leeway when the time between the seat becoming vacant and the next meeting is short? Allowing only a couple of weeks for potential candidates to rearrange their schedules so they can attend and to get the word out to their friends to politic for them doesn't seem right to me.

MakeItHappen

Jul 10, 2009, 5:15 PM
Post #10 of 25 (2616 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Humm... I think Craig can upset apple carts just as much as JP or Krisanne.

In reply to:
In reply to:

Not questioning whether proper written procedure was followed or not. Merely expressing my opinion that said written procedure does not seem to be the fairest method to handle this kind of situation - fair both to the members in the region and to those who have already put effort out expressing their interest.

Why did the seat have to be filled at this meeting? I understand that the bylaws say "at the next meeting", but is there not some leeway when the time between the seat becoming vacant and the next meeting is short? Allowing only a couple of weeks for potential candidates to rearrange their schedules so they can attend and to get the word out to their friends to politic for them doesn't seem right to me.

It's nice to see USPA following the rules for a change.

If you want to 'blame' the timing on someone, go find Q and ask him about his 'pull-out'.

Driver1  (D License)

Jul 10, 2009, 9:21 PM
Post #11 of 25 (2588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a question,, If a DZ has been closed for whatever reason, ie, the Clarksville DZ being shut down by the City (if I understand correctly) and has since relocated, Would their USPA GM still be valid AND, would the S&TA appointed for that DZ still be valid as well?

Also, would the business practices they displayed down there, be a violation of the agreement with USPA?

(This post was edited by Driver1 on Jul 10, 2009, 9:22 PM)

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jul 10, 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #12 of 25 (2568 views)
Shortcut

I'm here, I'll bitch on your behalf if you ant. I can blame my bitchiness on medications.Cool

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Jul 11, 2009, 1:20 PM
Post #13 of 25 (2516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

Do me a favor and ask anyone on the S&T committe if they bothered to check their e-mail today before the meeting. I sent them a lengthy e-mail on the wingsuit issue and if it were not entered into the discussion I am going to be pissed off. Sorry I could not be there. I had some unscheduled "relative work."

Chuck

stratostar  (Student)

Jul 11, 2009, 6:53 PM
Post #14 of 25 (2489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Driver1] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Would their USPA GM still be valid

Nothing in the GM pledge that says you can't move across the street.

Quote:
would the S&TA appointed for that DZ still be valid as well?

Yes the DZO get's to pick their choice of S&TA and it's approved by the RD, nothing says the S&TA can't also move across the street. Moving out of state or out of region is another story. JUst because your an S&TA one place don't make you one some other place.

Quote:
Also, would the business practices they displayed down there, be a violation of the agreement with USPA?

More then likely not and even if it was the lawyers for USPA would settle out of court......again.

jdobleman  (D 7790)

Jul 12, 2009, 7:55 PM
Post #15 of 25 (2397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking at the vote totals, it shows why the suggested succession should not have worked. Missy Nelson (that's how her father introduced us at the last Freeport Freak Brothers Boogie) has become a great skydiver and has name recognition, but she is NOT a Nor Cal or Pacific Region jumper. To have her take Q's place on the board because she came in 2nd ( and look at the number of votes compared to the number of jumpers in the region_) would not be appropriate in this case. IMHO

madjohn

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Jul 12, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #16 of 25 (2386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdobleman] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Pacific Region jumper

According to her profile here, she currently lives in Hawaii, which is the Pacific Region. It's true it'd be tough for her to actively interact with the rest of the region (Northern California and Northern Nevada), but she does meet the objective criteria of being a resident of the region.

jdobleman  (D 7790)

Jul 12, 2009, 9:11 PM
Post #17 of 25 (2378 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

True, but "resident" doesn't equate, for me, as an active Pacific Region jumper. Maybe she has been jumping a lot in Hawaii.

mj

tdsnyr99  (D 27911)

Jul 13, 2009, 9:03 PM
Post #18 of 25 (2293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdobleman] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

Well she is an active jumper in the Pacific region and resident of Hawaii. Which happens to be in the Pacific Region. She is an AFF instructor and video person plus does coaching. She would have done more for the sport getting on the BOD then most of the clowns who are on the BOD now.
Hey, Hawaii is in the Pacific region and to my knowledge we have never had our regional director here. And I can guarantee that we do more jumps here per year than any west coast dz.

SkydiveJack  (D 6486)

Jul 14, 2009, 2:14 PM
Post #19 of 25 (2225 views)
Shortcut

I'm curious. Did they have a "Slyde Show" during the meeting?

diablopilot  (D License)

Jul 14, 2009, 2:23 PM
Post #20 of 25 (2222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkydiveJack] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

Negative. They were prepared for it (security) since he had made an appeal, but he didn't show.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jul 14, 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #21 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut

were you the "other" security, JP? Laugh

I'm really glad you were there. Still sorta stunned at how naive the board is about a lot of things. It was good to hear you chime in on a number of subjects.

JohnDeere  (D License)

Jul 14, 2009, 6:08 PM
Post #22 of 25 (2194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tdsnyr99] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
And I can guarantee that we do more jumps here per year than any west coast dz.

Yea but how many are made by fun jumpers? 1%?Tongue

tdsnyr99  (D 27911)

Jul 14, 2009, 7:55 PM
Post #23 of 25 (2164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnDeere] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course we do a ton of student jumps here. On average 2,000 plus per instructor per year but we also have a pretty good fun jumper base. The population of Oahu is well under 1 million people and we have more visitors then people living here. So of course our fun jumper base isn't as large as some DZ's. I can also guarantee we produce more AFF graduates and A-licensed jumpers then most dz's in the country. Which is a great thing for the sport.
Plus we're just totally bad ass over here and everywhere else just sucks by comparison.
Aloha

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jul 14, 2009, 8:27 PM
Post #24 of 25 (2158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tdsnyr99] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

FWIW, my skydiving adventures began in Oahu. Frank and Mary are wonderful people.

floormonkey  (D License)

Jul 15, 2009, 6:58 PM
Post #25 of 25 (2082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkydiveJack] Summer 2009 BOD meeting: Dallas, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

He was sent a certified letter (which he signed for) inviting him to show up and discuss his case.

He did not show.

Forums : Archive : 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)