Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Adding a PUD to a BOC

base698  (D 23456)

Jan 16, 2003, 12:58 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1377 views)
Shortcut
Adding a PUD to a BOC Can't Post

Is this possible? How much would it cost? I assume you'd need a new bridle and pilot chute if it is possible...

freeflyz  (D 25150)

Jan 16, 2003, 2:29 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base698] Adding a PUD to a BOC [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you talking about a pullout or a freefly handle like Mirage makes?

wrightskyguy  (D 19665)

Jan 16, 2003, 4:28 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [freeflyz] Adding a PUD to a BOC [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the Mirage freefly handle, it's nice but they also make a PUD that packs up real Clean. I'm gonna have my rig converted over next repack.

weid14  (D 20292)

Jan 16, 2003, 4:38 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base698] Adding a PUD to a BOC [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Is this possible? How much would it cost? I assume you'd need a new bridle and pilot chute if it is possible...

I dont' think you would need a new PC, you would have to add an extension to where the hackey currently connects. Keep in mind I have never done this and could be completely wrong.

Hooknswoop  (D License)

Jan 16, 2003, 4:44 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [weid14] Adding a PUD to a BOC [In reply to] Can't Post

The pull-out (pud) systems I've seen attache the handle to a lanyard, to the base of the PC. Bo handle on the apex of the PC. So for that system, a whole new PC would be required to switch. (I am converting a pull-out system to a throw-out, edti: which requires removing the velcro for the pud, building/installing a new PC, building/installing a BOC.).

Hook

(This post was edited by Hooknswoop on Jan 16, 2003, 4:54 PM)

weid14  (D 20292)

Jan 16, 2003, 4:48 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hooknswoop] Adding a PUD to a BOC [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
The pull-out (pud) systems I've seen attache the handle to a lanyard, to the base of the PC. Bo handle on the apex of the PC. So for that system, a whole new PC would be required to switch. (I am converting a pull-out system to a throw-out).

Hook

Alrighty then, 95 bucks will get you converted...Smile

hookitt  (D License)

Jan 16, 2003, 5:13 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1267 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
a whole new PC would be required to switch.

Actually most of the time (not all the time) the original PC can be used. Depending on how the original handle is installed, the center line (not the kill line) may need to be replaced.

You can attach a tab under the Pilot chute near the end of the bridle and slam a #0 grommet in it for the lanyard.

Hey hook, how are you attaching the Handle to the top of the Pilot chute? There are a few methods and some I like, some I don't.

PM me with that if you want.

Tim

Hooknswoop  (D License)

Jan 16, 2003, 5:23 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hookitt] Adding a PUD to a BOC [In reply to] Can't Post

I re-inforce the top of the fabric w/ type 12, use a sodering iron to make two holes, then tie the excess ends of the monkey fist handle in a square knot on the inside of the PC, the sew the two white tapes to the excess ends from the handle, so the knot can't un-tie.

I guess it would depend on the PC, if you could convert it to throw out. Sounds eisier to convert to pull-out. I have built one, but I haven't converted one to pull out.

Hook

hookitt  (D License)

Jan 16, 2003, 5:29 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1259 views)
Shortcut

Gotcha.. I like that one.

It's easier to convert to pull out. Since it's not very popular, we almost never have to.

I designed and made my own. Much R&D (Rip Off and Duplicate) went into it. I added a few touches of my own. Tongue

C-ya
Tim

(This post was edited by hookitt on Jan 16, 2003, 5:30 PM)

rigging65  (D 21921)

Jan 17, 2003, 3:09 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1130 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I guess it would depend on the PC, if you could convert it to throw out. Sounds eisier to convert to pull-out. I have built one, but I haven't converted one to pull out.

They're easy enough to make field convertible too, as long as you start with a soft pud for your throw-out handle (also easily added). Just add a larkshead-able loop to the top of the bridle and you can larkshead on another looped piece of TY IV with a #0 and PUD bridle assembly on anytime you want.

I have convertibles on all my rigs. I'd rather use a pull-out, but throw out seems to work better for me with my wing-suit.

All are built on a 9 ft. bridle, keep away from 7 ft. bridles and throw-outs...bad juju.

Hooknswoop  (D License)

Jan 17, 2003, 3:32 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rigging65] Adding a PUD to a BOC [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
They're easy enough to make field convertible too, as long as you start with a soft pud for your throw-out handle (also easily added). Just add a larkshead-able loop to the top of the bridle and you can larkshead on another looped piece of TY IV with a #0 and PUD bridle assembly on anytime you want.

That is an awesome idea.

Hook

rigging65  (D 21921)

Jan 17, 2003, 3:35 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1124 views)
Shortcut

...and it's easy to do!

hookitt  (D License)

Jan 17, 2003, 5:15 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rigging65] Adding a PUD to a BOC [In reply to] Can't Post

How cool

I'm not quite picturing it so I'll have to think about it at home.

I jump a pull out. I was considering putting a pouch on the bottom so When I get around to jumping a wing suit. I could change it. Now there's even more hope!

Thanks

Tim

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)