All skydivers I need your help!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jonay

Mar 18, 2009, 3:13 PM
Post #1 of 42 (7047 views)
Shortcut
All skydivers I need your help! Can't Post

Hi everybody,
My name is Jonay and I'm an artist/producer/songwriter from Sweden and I can honestly say that I'll never have the courage to skydive but I still hope you can help me out :). So how did I end up here?
Well this is the thing, for one of my next songs I let people listen to the instrumental and decide the topic and so far the majority has voted on skydiving. So I thought I prepare myself and make some research for my "upcoming" song, so that's how I ended up here.
Since I don't know much about skydiving, specially from a emotional perspective I wanted to ask you.
Example on things I wonder about is

How do you prepare yourself before a jump?
Whats the most nervous thing? whats the most exciting thing?
what's the process like before you take off?
What do you think of just before you take a step out?
what's the feeling like? what does it feel like when you land? and so on..
how would you describe the experience with 5 keywords and etc
so please share any experience, feeling or knowledge, anything that could help me to make a really good song about skidiving :)
Based on your answers I'm going to write my song and hopefully it will justify skidiving :)

Sincerely,
Jonay

p.s If you curious about the instrumental and the voting you can listen here.
http://blog.jamendo.com/...re-and-make-it-real/

lost_n_confuzd  (A 55061)

Mar 18, 2009, 5:42 PM
Post #2 of 42 (6924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jonay] All skydivers I need your help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool song for s skydiving vid! Nice workSmile

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Mar 18, 2009, 6:40 PM
Post #3 of 42 (6883 views)
Shortcut

Ask Roger Pontare Tongue We had a good discussion of this at Roskiilde once.
But Roger finally jumped.

nakedfool  (C License)

Mar 18, 2009, 7:00 PM
Post #4 of 42 (6862 views)
Shortcut

Objects:
Traffic Lights
Headphones
Barchair
Briefcase
Sofa

Activities:
Skydiving

I don't get it...

thoughts:
I always thought cool skydiving songs consisted of instrumentals that had no defining beat (such as drums) for the airplane ride up, and dropped a break at the same time the group exits from the plane...

AggieDave  (D License)

Mar 18, 2009, 7:02 PM
Post #5 of 42 (6858 views)
Shortcut

Whoa. Techno and skydiving? That's insane. No one has ever done that before!

Ok, seriously, after a decade I'm about tired of techno songs and skydiving. Its on my list with Tom Petty (Freefalling) and Van Halen (Jump). The song its self is ok, but I don't associate it with skydiving. Actually, it made me think of fake Honda R stickers and oversized rear spoilers.

(This post was edited by AggieDave on Mar 18, 2009, 7:16 PM)

Glitch  (D 10834)

Mar 18, 2009, 7:33 PM
Post #6 of 42 (6837 views)
Shortcut

As far as your question goes... no matter what responses you get, you just won't understand until you yourself have jumped. It's kinda like describing sex to a virgin... they can read all the books, watch all the movies, bs their friends and hopefuls till they're blue in the face... but they just don't know what it's like till they actually get laid. Wink

Now go schedule a Tandem, jump, and then come back and give us your answers to these questions.Smile

Nutz  (D License)

Mar 19, 2009, 5:01 AM
Post #12 of 42 (6588 views)
Shortcut

It is hard for me to believe you are a writer with all of the grammar and spelling errors.

Just my $0.02.

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

Mar 19, 2009, 5:24 AM
Post #13 of 42 (6567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nutz] All skydivers I need your help! [In reply to] Can't Post

How good is your Swedish?

Wendy W.

DanG  (D 22351)

Mar 19, 2009, 5:24 AM
Post #14 of 42 (6566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nutz] All skydivers I need your help! [In reply to] Can't Post

How good is your grammar and spelling in Swedish?

(edit: Dammit, two seconds too late!)

(This post was edited by DanG on Mar 19, 2009, 5:25 AM)

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

Mar 19, 2009, 5:25 AM
Post #15 of 42 (6564 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DanG] All skydivers I need your help! [In reply to] Can't Post

great minds think alike, huh Sly

Wendy W.

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

Mar 19, 2009, 5:48 AM
Post #17 of 42 (6527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nakedfool] All skydivers I need your help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I always thought cool skydiving songs consisted of instrumentals that had no defining beat (such as drums) for the airplane ride up, and dropped a break at the same time the group exits from the plane...
Something like that, and also there is tension building during the plane ride, and release after the jump. Yeah, it's hackneyed, but if you're trying to provide music/thought pictures to people, go with the recognizable.

On the plane trip up, new people more so than experienced (at least from what I hear) get tenser and tenser on the way up. Right before exit there's that feeling of delicious anticipation when all of the senses are pretty peaked with anticipation for the jump that's just about to happen.

Each jump is unique; you can't go back and re-do what just happened. It's kind of like improv that way. You can re-do it, but what already happened still exists.

Wendy W.

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

Mar 19, 2009, 6:17 AM
Post #19 of 42 (6504 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
you know, the feeling that time is standing still?
Not for me, at all. But that could be very different for students, or even other jumpers.

I spend my time on the way up checking my equipment, going over what is planned for the jump, just sitting there, and interacting with other people.

Wendy W.

Premier slotperfect  (D 13014)

Mar 19, 2009, 6:53 AM
Post #20 of 42 (6454 views)
Shortcut

[warning]

@ Scatter: personal attacks are not tolerated in the forums

[/warning]

pinkfairy  (C 85665)

Mar 19, 2009, 7:00 AM
Post #21 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

HahahahahahahahaLaugh

Good question:

What about heading for your nearest vertical wind tunnel and write the song about tunnel flight instead? Safer, and much more originalWink

Smile

Bolas  (D License)

Mar 19, 2009, 9:45 AM
Post #22 of 42 (6316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinkfairy] All skydivers I need your help! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
HahahahahahahahaLaugh

Good question:

What about heading for your nearest vertical wind tunnel and write the song about tunnel flight instead? Safer, and much more originalWink

Smile

You may be on to something. He can get at least the physical feeling of freefall if not the full sensation/experience. Smile

CygnusX-1  (B 28761)

Mar 19, 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #23 of 42 (6283 views)
Shortcut

Since no one else has taken the bait, I'll chomp down on the hook with the worm on it.

How do you prepare yourself before a jump?
I put on my jumpsuit, rig, helmet, etc. Wander aimlessly around for a while and wonder why manifest called "5 minutes to boarding" about 8 minutes ago.

Whats the most nervous thing?
After the freefall portion of the jump, reaching back and wondering how hard of a pull the pilot chute will be this time.

whats the most exciting thing?
Landing and knowing that you completed everything you set out to do on that dive and did it the best you could within your abilities.

what's the process like before you take off?
See question 1 followed by... Climbing into the back of a plane. Finding a seat sometimes on the floor. Buckling the seat belt. Hoping that "that 105 kg" guy with the big 230 main container doesn't sit right in front of you. Realizing that he is going to sit in front of you and squish you between him and the guy behind you. Wonder why it's so freaking hot in the plane in the middle of summer. And finely understanding why sardines are dead before they get put into the can.

What do you think of just before you take a step out?
UP - DOWN - OUT
or
READY - SET - GO

what's the feeling like?
It is different for everybody - only you can answer that.

what does it feel like when you land?
See above question.

how would you describe the experience with 5 keywords
exhilarating, simple, challenging, addicting, multifaceted

please share any experience, feeling or knowledge
Why is it that skydiving should be something that is so simple is really the hardest thing you can ever do.

PeregrineFalcon  (A License)

Mar 19, 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #24 of 42 (6241 views)
Shortcut

I'm not going to read through the other posts, so forgive me if this has already been written. There have been a few times when I've been pissed off at something in life and it's ENTIRELY gone as I suit up. On the ride up, I'm relaxed. Getting my helmet and goggles on, I'm elated. Slapping the hands of the skydivers right before the green light, I feel brotherly. Then the door opens and...UNPARALLED excitement.

There have been so many times that I've been in a stressful situation where I've said to myself, "Fuck it. I'm not going to stress out, I'm going jumping tomorrow." It all goes away and it lasts for hours after the jump.

I have to take som Aleve before jumping to prevent headaches from coming down from the high. Anybody else have to do that?

sacamaca  (Student)

Mar 19, 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #25 of 42 (6204 views)
Shortcut

I liked the sex-comparison the best! Skydiving and sex are both the kind of things you wanna do and get the feeling instead of talking about it and describe them in words. Words are the hardest to associate with it - pictures, photos and music I can see easier...If I really had to use words they would be: amazing, liberating, exhilarating, breathtaking.

I don't think I would wanna write a song about snow skiing - never tried it. Why don't you challenge yourself and try a tandem for real? It is safe and the closest you can get to the real feeling! Something like sex with a condom Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)