First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Premier sangiro
Head Honcho
Mar 16, 2009, 1:32 PM
Post #1 of 43 (11207 views)
Shortcut
IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement Can't Post

Hi everyone,

This is an important announcement regarding the management of Dropzone.com.

As you know Dropzone.com, together with Rockclimbing.com and BASEjumper.com, was purchased by NameMedia in May 2008 and was operated by them ever since. Unfortunately, as the economy worsened over the past few months it became financially unfeasible for NameMedia to continue to operate these sites, which brought them to a difficult choice - either find a suitable buyer fast or shut the sites down. The first option wasn't really possible in these times and the second, while obviously not desirable became more and more likely.

After much deliberation Daniel and I (D4DR Media) has agreed to resume the operational responsibilities for the sites. We've run these sites on a pretty tight budget before and we can do so again. We trust this arrangement will ensure the longevity of these online communities.

Practically this means we will resume all day-to-day management and operational responsibilities of Dropzone.com, while NameMedia will handle ad sales and marketing. NameMedia will remain the overall owner and well retain a minority interest in the sites as a longer-term incentive for our efforts.

One very unfortunate side-effect of all of this is that NameMedia was unable to retain a full-time salaried publisher, so Jay Young (j_ung) was let go from his position by NameMedia on Friday. This was a pure business decision and in no way a reflection on Jay's performance. I think we can all agree that he did a terrific job and added a lot of value to the site during his time as publisher, and we will miss him in that role. Thank you for what you did here Jay.

For the immediate future though I will take his place as head-honcho until a longer-term solution is put in place.

This is a unique new period for Dropzone.com in the sense that we're really forced to hunker down and survive a tough economic climate, while preserving the character and value of Dropzone.com. Were quite confident we can do that while continuing to have a load of fun at the same time!

Onwards. Cool

Premier NWFlyer  (D License)

Mar 16, 2009, 1:38 PM
Post #2 of 43 (11138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sangiro] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry things didn't work out as expected, but a big thanks for keeping this site going in tough times.

j_ung

Mar 16, 2009, 1:39 PM
Post #3 of 43 (11128 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all. Just thought I'd drop a quick note.

Well, the last five months certainly have been interesting. Thanks to everybody who lent me their support and trust. I hope that, by and large, I did right by you folks. Ciao.

J

PS: Willem, go get 'em. Smile

tombuch  (D 8514)

Mar 16, 2009, 2:00 PM
Post #4 of 43 (11084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sangiro] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear the economy has reached out to our little piece of cyberspace. Thanks for holding on to keeping the site going.

Jay did a terrific job, and I hope he lands softly on his feet.

Premier sangiro
Head Honcho
Mar 16, 2009, 2:01 PM
Post #5 of 43 (11077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry things didn't work out as expected, but a big thanks for keeping this site going in tough times.

I have no reason to complain. While not perfect, things actually worked out quite well for us. This new arrangement is a win-win addendum to the existing agreement we have with NameMedia.

Jay has really been the one on the receiving end of this crunch. Frown

(This post was edited by sangiro on Mar 16, 2009, 2:02 PM)

airtwardo  (D License)

Mar 16, 2009, 2:04 PM
Post #6 of 43 (11076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j_ung] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that, by and large, I did right by you folks.

~ You did a stellar job Jay, I hope one of these dayz our paths cross...LIKE AT A DROPZONE! Wink

..YA sure won't find ME hanging on a rock! Crazy

shropshire  (C License)

Mar 16, 2009, 2:17 PM
Post #7 of 43 (11037 views)
Shortcut

AIG couldn't be tempted then?

Welcome back.

Baksteen  (C 708753)

Mar 16, 2009, 2:17 PM
Post #8 of 43 (11035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j_ung] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks J - you were with us for a short time, but you did great!

And HH - welcome back

VanillaSkyGirl

Mar 16, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #9 of 43 (11022 views)
Shortcut

We'll miss you, J. We really had grown fond of you! I hope that you'll still be around, and that perhaps, we can meet in person, someday. Smile

To HH:

Willem, you still have our support with your decisions. Thanks for all that you do!

wmw999  (D 6296)

Mar 16, 2009, 2:48 PM
Post #10 of 43 (10976 views)
Shortcut

You were stealthy-quiet enough to fit right in with a bunch of skydivers -- makes me want to go meet a bunch of rock-climbers Tongue. Good luck, Jay. & Welcome back, HH

Wendy W.

ryoder  (D 6663)

Mar 16, 2009, 3:18 PM
Post #11 of 43 (10923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shropshire] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Welcome back.

That gives me another idea: HH should apply for some of that US Govt bailout money.Unimpressed

377  (F 666)

Mar 16, 2009, 3:22 PM
Post #12 of 43 (10914 views)
Shortcut

What does it mean that the two best skydiving media products (SKYDIVING magazine and DROPZONE.COM) both hit the wall and hit it nearly simultaneously?

Jay did a great job, hope he finds a good landing spot. Sangiro is an old pro at this and I welcome his return.

How about some cheaper form of membership or even a Paypal donation button? Most participants aren't premier members because of the high price. I bet if everyone gave a dollar a month it would help, but there is no easy way to do it, or if there is I have missed it.

Welcome back Sangiro and Daniel. Hope it prospers under you.

(This post was edited by 377 on Mar 16, 2009, 4:57 PM)

shropshire  (C License)

Mar 16, 2009, 3:22 PM
Post #13 of 43 (10913 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ryoder] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Welcome back.

That gives me another idea: HH should apply for some of that US Govt bailout money.Unimpressed

Good oneWink

j_ung

Mar 16, 2009, 4:17 PM
Post #14 of 43 (10843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shropshire] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the well wishes, everybody. Don't worry about me -- I'm sure I'll land on my feet. As for you folks... it is my fondest wish that we meet in a plane somewhere on our way to 12k.
J

CSpenceFLY  (D 25252)

Mar 16, 2009, 4:22 PM
Post #15 of 43 (10837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ryoder] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Welcome back.

Yeah,then J can get a private jet and a bonus.

CSpenceFLY  (D 25252)

Mar 16, 2009, 4:25 PM
Post #16 of 43 (10833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [377] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
How about some cheaper form of membership or even a Paypal donation button?

I second this. I would gladly drop a $20 every once in a while.

skyjack71

Mar 16, 2009, 5:54 PM
Post #17 of 43 (10718 views)
Shortcut

I want to thank you for the opportunity to participate in this forum. I agree with some of the others - if there was a cheaper limited style membership - many more would be paying there part instead of a freeloader like myself.

I am not a jumper but would do my part to keep this forum going. I owe you guys so much.

Thanks.

diablopilot  (D License)

Mar 16, 2009, 6:07 PM
Post #18 of 43 (10705 views)
Shortcut

Jay, thank you for your work, it is appreciated.

Willem, would becoming a Premier member again help things?

pwln  (C 35574)

Mar 16, 2009, 8:17 PM
Post #19 of 43 (10578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CSpenceFLY] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember giving $25 via PayPal last April. My PayPal Account remembers also. I don't remember where the link was and I'm sure it's not there anymore, but you used to be able to donate via PayPal.

CSpenceFLY  (D 25252)

Mar 16, 2009, 9:39 PM
Post #20 of 43 (10532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pwln] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

Hell, I'd give a $20 to have my sig line back. Even though half of that was a misunderstanding.

AggieDave  (D License)

Mar 16, 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #21 of 43 (10505 views)
Shortcut

Welcome back to the fray my friend. I'm sorry things did not continue as you had planned, but I'm glad to have you back on the day to day here.

So is His Forkness going to tighten the reins a little on frivolousness?

mnealtx  (B 30496)

Mar 17, 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #22 of 43 (10458 views)
Shortcut

Welcome back, HH

Jay - thanks for what you've done - I wish you the best of luck in the future and hope that you won't be a stranger, here.

SkyChimp  (C 37195)

Mar 17, 2009, 6:22 AM
Post #23 of 43 (10331 views)
Shortcut

You did a great job Jay..... I wish you the best and who knows, as times change you might be able to come back since they love you so much. I wish nothing but success for you. Bravo Zulu!!! Smile

benblee  (A License)

Mar 17, 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #24 of 43 (10140 views)
Shortcut

How is somewhere in the midst of $40,000 per year not enough to keep a forum going?

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Mar 17, 2009, 5:42 PM
Post #25 of 43 (9995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [benblee] IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

Where do you get the impression this site makes $40k a year?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : General : Announcements

Search for (options)