Forums: Archive: 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections:
Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

diablopilot  (D License)

Feb 6, 2009, 9:33 AM
Post #1 of 65 (4194 views)
Shortcut
Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting.... Can't Post

I'll try to update for anyone who likes, but if any has specific issues, please post, PM, or E-mail.

SkydiveJack  (D 6486)

Feb 6, 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #2 of 65 (4125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Please post the names of the new Executive Committee members and their positions.

Thanks!!

diablopilot  (D License)

Feb 6, 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #3 of 65 (4096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkydiveJack] Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Will do. The nominations will begin shortly, and the election should happen after lunch (scheduled for 1pm) however as normal, things are stretching out.

howardwhite  (C 3896)

Feb 6, 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #4 of 65 (4082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Beating JP to the punch..Tongue
Jay Stokes is the only nominee for President.

HW

Halfpastniner  (D 30747)

Feb 6, 2009, 1:00 PM
Post #5 of 65 (4053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [howardwhite] Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Beating JP to the punch..Tongue
Jay Stokes is the only nominee for President.

HW

Jay would be an excellent president. Cool Good stuff.

diablopilot  (D License)

Feb 6, 2009, 2:07 PM
Post #6 of 65 (4029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Halfpastniner] Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's been confirmed that Jay Stokes is the USPA BOD President.

Next VP: Nominees are John DeSantis, Todd Spillers, and Scott Smith.

And John gets the nod.

Nominees for Secretary are Sherry Butcher, John Goswitz.

It's Sherry.

Nominees for Treasurer: Lee Schlichtemeier.

And Lee.

Nominees for Member at Large: Mike Mullins, Bill Wenger, Larry Hill, Chris Quaintance.

Larry just withdrew.

Bill Wenger won the vote.

Nominees for Chairman of the Board: BJ Worth, John Goswitz.

Finally, BJ Worth is the Chairman.

That completes the EC for the next two years.

(This post was edited by diablopilot on Feb 6, 2009, 3:05 PM)

diablopilot  (D License)

Feb 6, 2009, 3:16 PM
Post #7 of 65 (4002 views)
Shortcut

IPC Delegate nominees are Larry Hill, and Marylou Laughlin.

And Marylou will keep the job.

(This post was edited by diablopilot on Feb 6, 2009, 3:36 PM)

diablopilot  (D License)

Feb 6, 2009, 3:37 PM
Post #8 of 65 (3991 views)
Shortcut

Anyone out there still interested in this stuff?Tongue

SStewart  (D 10405)

Feb 6, 2009, 3:37 PM
Post #9 of 65 (3991 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the update JP. Stokes and DeSantis are excellent choices and coach will be a great member at large. So far so good , keep us posted.

I am not going to make it after all, I am still recovering from surgery and it is just too soon to travel. Unsure

If you talk to John or Jay tell them I said congrats!

masterrigger1  (D 14167)

Feb 6, 2009, 3:52 PM
Post #10 of 65 (3986 views)
Shortcut

JP,
Thanks for the update. I should be out there late tomorrow night.
I was supposed to be there already but my Wife had surgery/been very ill. We just got back from Augusta Medical University late this afternoon. and am trying to "clear the table' so to speak.

Scott,
Hope all is well..call me sometime.

About the elections...now maybe we can get some real stuff done for the members it seems with the new people at the top!

Great news!

MEL

diablopilot  (D License)

Feb 6, 2009, 4:12 PM
Post #11 of 65 (3979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [masterrigger1] Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear about your wife.

Committee chairs have been selected:

Competition: Bill Wenger
Safety and Training: Todd Spillers
Membership: John Goswitz
Group Membership: Randy Allison
Finance & Budget: Lee Schlichtemeier
Constitution & ByLaws: Mike Mullins
Nominations & Elections: Ed Dixon
Regional Directors: Jessie Farrington.

SkydiveJack  (D 6486)

Feb 6, 2009, 5:39 PM
Post #12 of 65 (3955 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Anyone out there still interested in this stuff?Tongue

Yes! Please keep your updates going.

Thanks!Smile

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Feb 7, 2009, 3:44 PM
Post #13 of 65 (3832 views)
Shortcut

So what is the "new" news JP?

Matt

diablopilot  (D License)

Feb 7, 2009, 4:20 PM
Post #14 of 65 (3816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matthewcline] Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll try to sum things up later, just finishing up the days meetings in the next hour or so.

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Feb 8, 2009, 6:30 AM
Post #15 of 65 (3747 views)
Shortcut

One of the nice things about sitting in the Gallery at the USPA BOD meeting is that instead of my having to post things to this site, Shonda Smith (USPA Dir. of Communications) is busy constantly updating the USPA website with the lates information for every meeting she it sitting in on. That has eliminated my need to make constant postings to this website.

I am still involved with both the PIA and USPA BOD meetings and I am a staffer at the PIA Symposium.

bbarnhouse  (D License)
Pixie
Feb 8, 2009, 8:32 AM
Post #16 of 65 (3718 views)
Shortcut

JP,
thanks for keeping us posted! There isn't much on the USPA website that tells us what is actually happening at this point in the various committees.
Whatcha got?Smile

airtwardo  (D License)

Feb 8, 2009, 9:42 AM
Post #17 of 65 (3701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MikeTJumps] Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
One of the nice things about sitting in the Gallery at the USPA BOD meeting is that instead of my having to post things to this site, Shonda Smith (USPA Dir. of Communications) is busy constantly updating the USPA website with the lates information for every meeting she it sitting in on. That has eliminated my need to make constant postings to this website.

I am still involved with both the PIA and USPA BOD meetings and I am a staffer at the PIA Symposium.

Thanks Mike.

So, what's your impression regarding the USPA meeting so far?

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Feb 8, 2009, 9:56 AM
Post #18 of 65 (3688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

So far, so good. Too bad the economy has ruined the best laid plans of Dr. Lee S, but my own losses are >40% in my plans so he's done better than I have.

Time will tell for the new members. Still, lots of "old guard" are in place, so things will be slow to change but slow change can be a good thing.

airtwardo  (D License)

Feb 8, 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #19 of 65 (3684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MikeTJumps] Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
So far, so good. Too bad the economy has ruined the best laid plans of Dr. Lee S, but my own losses are >40% in my plans so he's done better than I have.

Time will tell for the new members. Still, lots of "old guard" are in place, so things will be slow to change but slow change can be a good thing.

Sometimes the 'Old Guard' knows the best pace to march, it's good to have some around. Wink

diablopilot  (D License)

Feb 8, 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #20 of 65 (3684 views)
Shortcut

Ok, here are some brief highlights from my notes. Please understand that what I say here may not be the official view, either through my not fully understanding something, or my having a strong opinion that influences my recount. I also apologize for any inaccuracies.

Friday was mostly house keeping and the election of new Officers, Appointment of the Committee Chairs, and then the selection of the committee members by the chairpersons.

Once the meeting was adjourned, the "Sport Promotion Task Force" gathered. With the budget crisis there is a big effort to both increase revenue, and cut costs from the budget. One line item that is under review is the amount spent with the PR firm retained by USPA. Last years cost was around $60,000. Because there appears to be little way to directly measure the effectiveness of the money spent there is are some that feel it may be money wasted and either cut or re allocated. In an effort to come to a conclusion about this and to look at alternate methods of promotion. Many interesting ideas for promotion were brought up. More on that later.

Saturday morning started with the EC committee meeting at 8am. The "Sport Promotion Task Force" was discussed, as were a county easement on the USPA HQ property, and the lease for the space the Museum rents from the USPA HQ.

Then the meeting went to closed session. I do not yet know all things that were discussed, some of the actions will come out in the Plenary today. I'm pretty sure Pastrana got his membership back despite not being present to make the request.

S&T Committee met starting at 10 am. There was a lengthy discussion on Canopy Collisions, with a focus on if any new rules were needed. None were found to be needed, a focus on GM Pledge enforcement was mentioned, as was the need to focus on training students AND instructors better on the topic of canopy piloting.

The committee discussed an idea from Jim Crouch, Director of S&T, for the S&T committee to aid in 1-6 investigations because of a perceived inconsitencies and/or effectiveness of the RD actions. It was discussed and passed to the RD committee.

The biggie discussed in this meeting were the increases to license application fees, initial rating fees, and renewal fees. The result was a $10 increase in all, and a very small increase in Pro Rating fees. In my case I'll pay $30 instead of $20 for rating renewal, and another $1.75 for my Pro Rating.

There was also a lot of discussion about the possibility of a rule/BSR to limit the turn to final of tandems to 90 or less.

I'll take a break here as I'm headed into another meeting.... more later.

airtwardo  (D License)

Feb 8, 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #21 of 65 (3681 views)
Shortcut

Because there appears to be little way to directly measure the effectiveness of the money spent there is are some that feel it may be money wasted and either cut or re allocated. In an effort to come to a conclusion about this and to look at alternate methods of promotion. Many interesting ideas for promotion were brought up. More on that later.
Interesting....

Addressing that issue at this time, seems to say something.

Please do tell more when you get a chance.

ozzy13  (D 29344)

Feb 8, 2009, 3:39 PM
Post #22 of 65 (3629 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

There was also a lot of discussion about the possibility of a rule/BSR to limit the turn to final of tandems to 90 or less.
thats a big one

I'll take a break here as I'm headed into another meeting.... more later.

Ill pay too. Id like them to try to budget the board meetings better. Maybe they could save money there some howCrazyCrazyCrazy

Premier cpoxon  (D 11665)
Feb 9, 2009, 3:28 AM
Post #23 of 65 (3540 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Whereabouts Mike? I can only see a couple of items in the news feed and the blog

Can anyone (JP?) elaborate on this item in the blog?

Quote:
discussion of electronic voting for the next board meeting

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Feb 9, 2009, 6:11 AM
Post #24 of 65 (3511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cpoxon] Hello live from the 2009 Winter USPA BOD meeting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Look in the "News" section, then the USPA Blog. That's where you'll find the information.

livendive  (D 21415)

Feb 9, 2009, 2:11 PM
Post #25 of 65 (3421 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
The biggie discussed in this meeting were the increases to license application fees, initial rating fees, and renewal fees. The result was a $10 increase in all, and a very small increase in Pro Rating fees. In my case I'll pay $30 instead of $20 for rating renewal, and another $1.75 for my Pro Rating.

So the cost of an instructor rating renewal was increased by 50%. Do you know if group membership rates went up?

Blues,
Dave

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)