Forums: Archive: 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections:
BOD Meeting Video

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Jan 21, 2009, 1:47 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2567 views)
Shortcut
BOD Meeting Video Can't Post

Seems to me that someone shot video at the last BOD meeting, and posted it on Youtube. Anyone planing to be in Reno running video?

diablopilot  (D License)

Jan 21, 2009, 6:00 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] BOD Meeting Video [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that was the last winter meeting in Orlando, the summer meeting in Virginia was not recorded.

I might be convinced to bring along a camera but I've never uploaded video, and I 'd like to see what the BOD members think.

johndh1  (A License)

Jan 21, 2009, 9:24 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2446 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] BOD Meeting Video [In reply to] Can't Post

Video is a good idea...that is, if the entire meeting is held open, unlike Orlando.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jan 22, 2009, 9:02 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2384 views)
Shortcut

I shot it in five parts, and uploaded the vid.
May do the same again, as I'll be in Reno, but no commitment to doing so just yet.
There will already be several hours of showfloor and symposium video for us to edit/upload.

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Jan 22, 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #5 of 16 (2356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] BOD Meeting Video [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I shot it in five parts, and uploaded the vid.
May do the same again, as I'll be in Reno, but no commitment to doing so just yet.
There will already be several hours of show floor and symposium video for us to edit/upload.

I think that having a camera running would be very useful at this meeting. This time around, we'll have the political wrangling for the executive committee, including President. How this works as I understand is that nominations for President for example are taken, we get Glen Bangs, and hopefully at least one more (not BJ Worth)! So, the candidates are each asked to step out of the room in turn, and while they are out, the rest of the BOD gives opinions regarding said candidate. It's been my understanding that Mr. Bangs can be a very "influential politician" when it comes to giving reasons why someone should not be considered as president. Point a camera at someone, and they'll very often "act different!" Yes, a candidate can and will be "accused", yet not offered the privilege of rebuttal. Any member can ask that the vote be secret on any motion, I guess that this is Roberts Rules, but I'm no expert (Glen seems to be a Roberts Rules of Order Expert though! "Dilatory! Point of order!") But I digress. The "candidate discussion" will be open, or at least has been open in the past. Don't get mad at me, I didn't make up this system!

Anyway with a video record, Mr. Bang's comments can be shared with all later in the bar, and/or on the internet. It was an open meeting.

Mr Bangs will preside as President, until the new President is elected. At that point the new Prez presides over the election of the rest of the Exec committee, and the rest of the meeting. I'm guessing that had Mr. Bangs not been reelected the job of residing would have followed a succession chain, or if Glen had provided his own travel, and accommodation expenses he could have ran the show for a short while?

So, who's up for two more years of of the Bangs Gang? The election was not the end, but the beginning! You bring the camera Douglas, and I'll bring popcorn for everyone! I'm spending $500+ to attend this thing, I want to be entertained!!!

Martin

(This post was edited by skydived19006 on Jan 22, 2009, 11:54 AM)

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jan 22, 2009, 12:39 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2339 views)
Shortcut

I'll have plenty of cameras there; we're shooting interviews with all the vendors like we did last time in Reno.
We'll provide you with a camera if I can't be in the meeting w/you

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Jan 22, 2009, 1:18 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2327 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I'll have plenty of cameras there; we're shooting interviews with all the vendors like we did last time in Reno.

Cool, I'm picturing myself with a camera helmet, ready/steady stance bent slightly at the knees, feet spread, arms out to further stabilize, and moving around the room with my own version of a skydiver-steady-helmet-cam. Short of that, a tripod will serve.

Bolas  (D License)

Jan 22, 2009, 1:24 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2322 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

Cool, I'm picturing myself with a camera helmet, ready/steady stance bent slightly at the knees, feet spread, arms out to further stabilize, and moving around the room with my own version of a skydiver-steady-helmet-cam. Short of that, a tripod will serve.

Don't forget the camera wings. Wink

Amazon  (D License)

Jan 22, 2009, 2:00 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2300 views)
Shortcut

I would think a Smoke Detector cam would be VERY instructive.

(This post was edited by Amazon on Jan 22, 2009, 2:00 PM)

NickDG  (D 8904)

Jan 22, 2009, 3:02 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2281 views)
Shortcut

I've always thought these BOD meetings should be videoed and uploaded on the USPA website by mandate.

Those complaining about membership apathy can't argue the fact that DSE's vids from last time educated a lot of people and got them more involved.

I also think USPA should foot the bill on their dime (which is really our dime) and pay DSE (or whoever does it) for their time and expenses.

And DSE, this time I also want the BODs hotel rooms outfitted with mikes and cameras so we don't miss the real juicy bits . . .

I'd also like the "secret" portions of these meetings recorded. They wouldn't have to release those vids for say five years or so, but it'll be on the record and would add a certain measure of accountability to that side of things.

NickD Smile

shermanator  (B License)

Jan 25, 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #11 of 16 (2173 views)
Shortcut

If you find yourself able, I'm sure many of us that aren't able to afford to go there, would love the opportunity to see what is happening in those meetings, not just see some cliffnotes that don't give a full account.

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Jan 25, 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #12 of 16 (2170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shermanator] BOD Meeting Video [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
If you find yourself able, I'm sure many of us that aren't able to afford to go there, would love the opportunity to see what is happening in those meetings, not just see some cliff notes that don't give a full account.

You have to wonder why any skydiver would take vacation, spend $1000 to go to a USPA BOD meeting, when the same time/money would make a dandy SD Arizona winter vacation, and include a bunch of jumps?

diablopilot  (D License)

Jan 25, 2009, 1:13 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2146 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
If you find yourself able, I'm sure many of us that aren't able to afford to go there, would love the opportunity to see what is happening in those meetings, not just see some cliff notes that don't give a full account.

You have to wonder why any skydiver would take vacation, spend $1000 to go to a USPA BOD meeting, when the same time/money would make a dandy SD Arizona winter vacation, and include a bunch of jumps?

Because I'm either interested, or stupid. You can make the choice for me.Tongue

Bolas  (D License)

Jan 25, 2009, 4:14 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] BOD Meeting Video [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Because I'm either interested, or stupid. You can make the choice for me.Tongue

Why choose? Tongue

diablopilot  (D License)

Jan 25, 2009, 5:42 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bolas] BOD Meeting Video [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your support.PirateTongue

shermanator  (B License)

Jan 26, 2009, 4:30 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2021 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

I guess it is about priorities.... too bad I can't even afford a winter trip to Arizona. bummer.

Forums : Archive : 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)