Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Photography and Video:
seeing still cam through my vid

2ndgensteinke  (F License)

Jan 19, 2009, 4:17 PM
Post #1 of 8 (699 views)
Shortcut
seeing still cam through my vid Can't Post

I have my video camera (hdr-hc9) and still (rebel xsi) already purchased and am getting the helmet soon skydance sonic, I am getting a .3 wide angle on the vid and am almost positive i am going to be seeing the rebel on my camcorder. any one have any solutions to this... i plan on mounting the still on the l bracket and the camcorder on top in a box... i have seen pics of people flipping the still upside down but not quit sure how that is fabricated... or should i decide on a different helmet..Unimpressed

(This post was edited by 2ndgensteinke on Jan 19, 2009, 4:38 PM)

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Jan 19, 2009, 5:09 PM
Post #2 of 8 (676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [2ndgensteinke] seeing still cam through my vid [In reply to] Can't Post

> i have seen pics of people flipping the still upside down but not quit sure
> how that is fabricated..

One guy at our DZ has done that. He just rotates the L bracket 180 degrees and uses a quick mount (Goldmember or equivalent) to mount the camera upside down.

VideoFly  (D 25621)

Jan 19, 2009, 5:20 PM
Post #3 of 8 (669 views)
Shortcut

I prefer my still camera to be mounted upside-down. It affords me more visibility when looking up. Rather than seeing the camera-base platform, the top of the camera is more streamlined and less bulky. Therefore, my visual frame is much larger. As Bill stated, I simply rotated the mount 180 degrees. The only problem I have ever had with this method of camera mounting is the collection of water droplets inside the exposure window on top when falling through wet weather. However, clear packing tape over the window and area around it solved that problem.

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Jan 19, 2009, 5:31 PM
Post #4 of 8 (662 views)
Shortcut

If you are having that issue the only solutions are to move the video camera very forward affecting the CG point on opening, zooming/adjusting the lens or getting a still lens that does not stick into the video frame.

2ndgensteinke  (F License)

Jan 19, 2009, 9:03 PM
Post #5 of 8 (631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] seeing still cam through my vid [In reply to] Can't Post

thats another concern C.G hangin' over my head, my katana is good to me though so that's on my side, thanks for the help...

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Jan 20, 2009, 5:18 AM
Post #6 of 8 (566 views)
Shortcut

Honestly the best option in my opinion is to top mount both if you have any concerns at all about GC issues. Get a flat top of some type and mount them side by side. Then you don't have to worry at all about things being in the field of viewand the GC is lined up down your spine since a hard opening is not a matter of if but when.

davelepka  (D 21448)

Jan 20, 2009, 5:23 AM
Post #7 of 8 (565 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
thats another concern C.G hangin' over my head, my katana is good to me though so that's on my side, thanks for the help...

I had a Katana open so hard, I lost a shoe. Pack your own rig, and be ready to have your shoes knocked off anyway, it can happen at anytime.

As far as your helmet goes, spend the time and money to make everything as light and as compact as possible.

Lighter is easy to understand, but the compact part is just as important. The further the weight is from the base of your skull (the pivot point) the more leverage it will have in the case of a hard opening. Even if you save a little weight with a lighter lens, or battery, if the remaining weight is further from the pivot point, the increased leverage will overcome the weight savings.

dragon2  (D 101989)

Jan 20, 2009, 9:20 AM
Post #8 of 8 (519 views)
Shortcut

When you check the view, make sure you check on a pc not on a tv/viewfinder as the pc will show quite a bit more, very annoying when people play a dvd on their pc on when editing non-linear. Not sure if you knew this, just a tip Smile

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Photography and Video

Search for (options)