Yes 96 / 85%
No 17 / 15%
113 total votes

sdctlc  (D 16437)

Jan 12, 2009, 9:10 PM
Post #1 of 20 (2423 views)
Shortcut
Simple Poll on Pathetic USPA Voting Poll Can't Post

Did you Vote or Not?? (given you are a USPA member and had a chance to vote)

I did...

Scott C.

(This post was edited by sdctlc on Jan 12, 2009, 9:11 PM)

Premier NWFlyer  (D License)

Jan 12, 2009, 9:21 PM
Post #2 of 20 (2374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sdctlc] Simple Poll on Pathetic USPA Voting Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

So this is a poll on voting poll? Wink

I found it really interesting reading this month's Parachutist that voter turnout used to be much higher. In the "This Month In History" section on page 19, the magazine talks about the election for the 1969-70 board and there was 25% voter turnout.

Granted, the membership was much smaller then (just under 11,000), but it's sad to see that voting rates, which weren't that high to begin with, have declined so much since then.

I really had hoped we'd see better turnout this year, but it seems we're hovering right around the same 10% that we get every year nowadays.Unsure

DougH  (D License)

Jan 13, 2009, 4:19 AM
Post #3 of 20 (2310 views)
Shortcut

10% is just sad.

IMHO the other 90% doesn't deserve shit from the USPA.

They should close all programs for active jumpers, make Parachutist more tandem focused, spend all of their efforts on recruiting tandems for DZO's and coming up with more cute bumper stickers.

I guess this is more of the same, I just never knew it was that bad. Frown

DanG  (D 22351)

Jan 13, 2009, 5:56 AM
Post #4 of 20 (2278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DougH] Simple Poll on Pathetic USPA Voting Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
10% is just sad.

They should close all programs for active jumpers, make Parachutist more tandem focused, spend all of their efforts on recruiting tandems for DZO's and coming up with more cute bumper stickers.

I guess this is more of the same, I just never knew it was that bad. Frown

Did it ever occur to anyone on this site that not everyone sees USPA as the Evil DZO Empire?

Get a grip.

And yes, I voted.

DougH  (D License)

Jan 13, 2009, 6:30 AM
Post #5 of 20 (2252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DanG] Simple Poll on Pathetic USPA Voting Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Did it ever occur to anyone on this site that not everyone sees USPA as the Evil DZO Empire?

Where did I say that?

I think it is sad that only 10% of our member base cares enough about the USPA to vote. To most people the membership money is a drop in the bucket apparently, and it seems like they take their sport and their representation for granted.

I care more about the voter turn out than I care about the results.

Even if you were a staunch supporter for change, and new faces in the USPA, I think you can still agree that it would have been an improvement if the status quo received 10,000 votes or 15,000 votes. At least it shows that sports jumpers in the USPA are taking an active role in their organization.

The 90% must not care at all about who represents them??!! I guess as long as they get their "Skydive because your mother told you not to" bumper sticker and their glossy mag they are happy.

(This post was edited by DougH on Jan 13, 2009, 6:33 AM)

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jan 13, 2009, 6:48 AM
Post #6 of 20 (2236 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
10% is just sad.

. Frown

In other words, encourage the pathos?

I do like the bumper sticker though. Would save me money each year.Tongue
It wouldn't hurt USPA to make a bigger deal about voting, but honestly, until the recent nation elections, I was convinced people don't give a crap about much. Ambivalence is the new "normal."

DanG  (D 22351)

Jan 13, 2009, 6:49 AM
Post #7 of 20 (2236 views)
Shortcut

I agree that more turnout would have been nice.

The comments about giving up sport parachuting and concentrating on getting tandems to the DZO's is where I got the impression that you thought USPA was a tool of the DZO mafia.

In reply to:
The 90% must not care at all about who represents them??!! I guess as long as they get their "Skydive because your mother told you not to" bumper sticker and their glossy mag they are happy.

Nail, meet hammer.

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Jan 13, 2009, 7:19 AM
Post #8 of 20 (2218 views)
Shortcut

For the vast majority of folks, and especially those who have no instructional ratings, skydiving is an escape from politics. I had one skydiver tell me that part of the reason he quit jumping was due to the politics at the DZ. For those people, getting involved is in direct opposition to one of the primary reasons they jump.

Even with those who spend time on dz.com, what percentage have posted in this forum? They just want to be entertained, hence the traffic in the Bonfire. Thery're a whole lot more interested in beer and boobies, than the Skyride situation.

If a hot skydiver chick had ran on an "I'll post/circulate booby pictures if elected" platform, there's a good chance we'd have seen better turn out!

Would the N&E committee allow a profile to be published in Parachutist that simply read "I'll post and circulate through email my naked pictures if elected." Similar to the Mullins platform "Vote for me."

Martin

JohnRich  (D License)

Jan 13, 2009, 9:20 AM
Post #9 of 20 (2155 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

Where did I say that?

In addition to the comment highlighted in post #7, you implied it in the other thread when you said:
"I would have liked to see some change, but none of the non voters really deserve it."
It's a bit presumptuous of you to assume that the non-voters agree with you on whatever "change" you want. Maybe they are happy with the current board, and that's why they didn't vote. Whatever the reason, you can't presume that non-voters don't deserve your brand of change. Maybe they do deserve it, maybe they don't want it.

Besides, you've only been around two years, you need some more seasoning to judge whether or not the organization is being run properly.

The fact is, the people who care enough to vote, voted to maintain most of the current board, minus one member. Thus, whatever "change" you hoped for, is not supported by the membership.

I know it's tough feeling that your ideas have merit, but are then rejected. But that's life. The organization will continue to be run well, but like any group of people working together, there will be disagreements and drama. Relax, it's not the end of the skydiving world.

(This post was edited by JohnRich on Jan 13, 2009, 12:31 PM)

brucet7  (C 38954)

Jan 13, 2009, 9:26 AM
Post #10 of 20 (2147 views)
Shortcut

I think the USPA membership does not necessarily mean we care about the running. My friend who started with me doesn't care about the USPA. it is just the licensing group. He has to have a license to jump to he is a member.

I don't know how one would do it, but it might be informative to separate membership from licensing. That is, license people who just want permission to jump. Membership for those who are interested in going beyond simply jumping, instructors, ratings, awards, etc.

Oh, and I voted, and I am one who would be a member.

pilotdave  (D License)

Jan 13, 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #11 of 20 (2097 views)
Shortcut

Pretty sure your poll is going to be a bit skewed since it's in the BOD Elections forum. Generally the people reading this forum are the people that care about the election. And more of those people are going to vote than people that don't care about the election.

I ended up not voting. I pretty much just didn't care. Been a USPA member for about 10 years. I've voted twice. Once because I cared and once because my RD made it convenient by passing out and collecting ballots (and she was running unopposed, so she had no need for votes).

Mike Mullins ran as a write in candidate a few years ago. Seemed like a big deal at the time, so I voted for him. Didn't see any changes in my life at the dropzone.

This year, a friend ran as a write-in candidate for RD. I like my RD (heck, I've been borrowing a rig from her for like 6 months now). Didn't want to vote against either of them, so I wouldn't have voted for RD.

I wasn't going to vote for the red bull guys. I didn't care to vote for the incumbants. Didn't believe a new face or two on the board would make much difference. So I just never sent in a ballot.

I'm also not a conspiracy theorist, so I think we'll survive another year with the good old boys.

Dave

DougH  (D License)

Jan 13, 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #12 of 20 (2094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] Simple Poll on Pathetic USPA Voting Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

It's a bit presumptuous of you to assume that the non-voters agree with you on whatever "change" you want.

Where did I say that non-voters agreed with anything. My opinion is that they don't care who is running the USPA. I can't prove that any more than you can prove that people remained non-voters because they are happy with the way things are going with the USPA.

I also stated that more voting interest would have been great to see regardless of how those votes were divided up.

I am fine with the fact that my personal opinion that some turn over would have been good for the USPA wasn't shared with the majority of the voting membership.

I am way less Kosher with the fact that only 10% of our members care enough to vote. I have voted since I joined USPA (three elections now) but I was unaway until now that the voting response was so low!

Smile

(This post was edited by DougH on Jan 13, 2009, 11:47 AM)

ficus  (D 29186)

Jan 13, 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #13 of 20 (2093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] Simple Poll on Pathetic USPA Voting Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

A few people now have said that maybe people abstained from voting because they were happy with the current board.

Do any of you seriously believe this? Abstention is not a vote for the incumbents, and I'd wager that an overwhelming majority of people understand that.

It seems much more likely that "happy with the current board" is an optimistic euphemism for apathy.

JohnRich  (D License)

Jan 13, 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #14 of 20 (2055 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
It's a bit presumptuous of you to assume that the non-voters agree with you on whatever "change" you want.

Where did I say that non-voters agreed with anything.

Once again:
"I would have liked to see some change, but none of the non voters really deserve it."
You thereby imply that you want something different, and that the non-voters should want it also, but because they didn't bother to vote for "change" like you, they are unworthy and don't deserve to get it.

That's the way I interpreted your message. And this is twice now in this thread that you've had to ask "Where did I say that?" Perhaps that should be a clue that if these things are not what you meant, then maybe you're not communicating clearly enough, and that's why we're taking things the wrong way.

I don't really want to get argumentative over this though, so I'm done. You can have the last response.

(This post was edited by JohnRich on Jan 13, 2009, 3:59 PM)

JohnRich  (D License)

Jan 13, 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #15 of 20 (2048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ficus] Simple Poll on Pathetic USPA Voting Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Abstention is not a vote for the incumbents, and I'd wager that an overwhelming majority of people understand that.

It seems much more likely that "happy with the current board" is an optimistic euphemism for apathy.

Playing devil's advocate here.

Since the history of past results shows that incumbents almost always win, I would say that not voting is in fact a vote for incumbents. If you want someone different, you have to vote for them, and not let the incumbent have his free ride back into another term.

And when people understand that, knowing that doing nothing gets the incumbents re-elected, then if that's what they want to happen, it's not really apathy. They understand that not voting gets them what they want, so they don't have to bother.

livendive  (D 21415)

Jan 13, 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #16 of 20 (2044 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Did you Vote or Not?? (given you are a USPA member and had a chance to vote)

I did...

Scott C.

Yep, and once again, my vote for Pete Hill was insufficient to get his name in the magazine. Laugh

Blues,
Dave

ozzy13  (D 29344)

Jan 13, 2009, 1:57 PM
Post #17 of 20 (2009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DanG] Simple Poll on Pathetic USPA Voting Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I agree that more turnout would have been nice.

The comments about giving up sport parachuting and concentrating on getting tandems to the DZO's is where I got the impression that you thought USPA was a tool of the DZO mafia.

In reply to:

Nail, meet hammer.

Not really sure about that. I started in mid 06. No one mentioned anything about voting to me at all. ever

If my AFFI didn't tell me about this site and my compassion for the sport, I would not have voted. Some people don't even read the magazine each month.

They just like going to the DZ and making a couple jumps every couple of weekends

So yes in part they might not care about the inner workings of USPA. I think if they changed the elections to around safety day they might get a bigger turn out in the poles. That would give a chance for discussion and cast your ballot right there.

just a idea

(This post was edited by ozzy13 on Jan 13, 2009, 5:10 PM)

ozzy13  (D 29344)

Jan 13, 2009, 2:03 PM
Post #18 of 20 (2002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brucet7] Simple Poll on Pathetic USPA Voting Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I think the USPA membership does not necessarily mean we care about the running. My friend who started with me doesn't care about the USPA. it is just the licensing group. He has to have a license to jump to he is a member.

I don't know how one would do it, but it might be informative to separate membership from licensing. That is, license people who just want permission to jump. Membership for those who are interested in going beyond simply jumping, instructors, ratings, awards, etc.

Oh, and I voted, and I am one who would be a member.

Its already there. You really don't even need an A license to jump. Just a log book!!

(This post was edited by ozzy13 on Jan 13, 2009, 2:10 PM)

kmills0705  (D 21696)

Jan 13, 2009, 5:01 PM
Post #19 of 20 (1944 views)
Shortcut

I voted.

Chances are if people didn't vote they wouldn't be here looking at election results, so I would think the majority of the people lurking around here did vote.

Kim Mills
(Mideastern Region)

Scrumpot  (D License)

Jan 15, 2009, 4:14 PM
Post #20 of 20 (1781 views)
Shortcut

Hey Scott - wazzup? Long time no-see.

Yup, I voted. I hope my vote(s) were counted too. I put "X's" in the boxes of those I voted for. I think that was right. Someone somewhere had mentioned that a "Check Mark" may not have been counted, and invalidated the ballot(s). Maybe another poll is apropos? You know, something along the lines of:

Did you vote with an "X" or, did you vote with a "V" <--- sorry, can't seem make accurate "check-mark" here. Crazy

Blues,
-Grant

Forums : Archive : 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)