Forums: Archive: 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections:
The Board/Staff Relationship

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Dec 16, 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1529 views)
Shortcut
The Board/Staff Relationship Can't Post

The post by a current board member in General Skydiving discussing the USPA solo challenge, as well as some offline discussions I've had with other current board members prompted me to sit down and really start to think about the relationship between the USPA Board and its members.

I wrote a long blog entry on the topic, and it includes links to some reading I did into how other membership associations manage the relationship between their elected representatives (board) and hired executives. Rather than repost the whole thing here I'll encourage you to read it and click on some of the linked articles - there's some interesting ideas out there - and it made me wonder whether there's room for change in USPA's governance structure to bring in best practices from other associations.

I'm making this post to get input from members and board candidates - what do *you* think the board/staff relationship should look like? How should they communicate? When should the Executive Director/Staff make decisions on their own and when should they seek board input? (Before responding, I'd also encourage everyone to read section 1.2.6 of the Governance Manual for the stated responsibilities of Administrative Staff).

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Dec 17, 2008, 1:47 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] The Board/Staff Relationship [In reply to] Can't Post

This is an example of what I like about Krisanne, she's willing to think outside the box. I read the blog entry, but didn't go on to all the "fun reading."

I do believe that there has been a bit of a break down, but more between the BOD, and the Prez. We shall see how this shakes out in a few weeks!

Martin

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Dec 19, 2008, 9:00 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] The Board/Staff Relationship [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I read the blog entry, but didn't go on to all the "fun reading."

In reply to:
Well I read the whole 9 yards. And between the Alzheimer and dyslexia it took me half the night. Lady you owe me big time. Next time you at Elsinore the Sushi is on you.

Sparky

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Dec 19, 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] The Board/Staff Relationship [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Well I read the whole 9 yards. And between the Alzheimer and dyslexia it took me half the night. Lady you owe me big time. Next time you at Elsinore the Sushi is on you.

Sparky

LaughLaugh It's a deal.

No thoughts on the topic? I didn't put this thread out just to hear my own thoughts... I'm actually curious about how people think the relationship ought to go.

Forums : Archive : 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)