Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
160 main too small?

looserslounge  (B 32776)

Dec 9, 2008, 9:26 AM
Post #1 of 4 (502 views)
Shortcut
160 main too small? Can't Post

Hello to whoever, I have 12 jumps and I plan on staying in this sport for a long time, I love it so far. I have a line on a rig and will prob purchase it. Javlin, 160 main, 150 res. Im getting mixed reports, some say a 188 is best for me being so green in the sport, some say I will grow out of this canopy size withen 50 jumps or so. Does 30 sq feet make a huge diff? I heard talk of some canopys being hi preformance? Are all 160 going to handle the same for the most part? I have jumped a 168 and was fine with it. I'm looking for some more input. THX.

pilotdave  (D License)

Dec 9, 2008, 10:02 AM
Post #2 of 4 (463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [looserslounge] 160 main too small? [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't buy anything until your instructors have given the ok on it. Nobody here can tell you what size canopy you should be jumping. If you're light enough, a docile 160 might be ok. Talk to your instructors and find out what size and type of canopy they think you should be on. Yes, 30 sq feet does make a big difference.

Dave

Andrewwhyte  (C 1988)

Dec 9, 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #3 of 4 (459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [looserslounge] 160 main too small? [In reply to] Can't Post

Take your weight, add the weight of the rig and your clothes, that is your exit weight. If that is more that 160 lbs. then yes, it is too small. You will no doubt find people that will tell you that you can do it because you are above average, but the truth is that above average canopy pilots pay the same for their wheelchairs as everyone else.
Do a search on here for "wing loading."

looserslounge  (B 32776)

Dec 9, 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #4 of 4 (431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrewwhyte] 160 main too small? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to both of you for your time and response. Ill start looking for a 190 or bigger. Wouldn't be so urgent to buy if my DZ had enough rental rigs. I waited all day and didn't get on a load. ps I got the math for the wind loading, thx.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)