Forums: International: Foro de Salto libre:
Visa question for traveling to Spain from US

flailmonkey2  (C 35095)

Dec 8, 2008, 9:56 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1333 views)
Shortcut
Visa question for traveling to Spain from US Can't Post

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right section to post....but
my husband and I are planning to go to Spain and work at a DZ there summer 2010....but we plan to travel around europe for 1-3 months before working at a dz.....then we would like to be at the dz for the summer....

we are very confused about what kind of visa we need to get....i know my passport will serve as a visa....but only for so long to be a tourist. i am not sure if i need to get a work visa....but i think this is hard to do in spain?

if anyone has information or tips...or works at one of these dropzones and can give me some guidance, private messages would be welcome.

or email at Ljjonikas@hotmail.com

muchos gracias
Lauar

Premier LouDiamond  (D 25931)
Dec 9, 2008, 5:30 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flailmonkey2] Visa question for traveling to Spain from US [In reply to] Can't Post

Which DZ in Spain? I may be able to put you in contact with someone who can answer your questions better.

flailmonkey2  (C 35095)

Dec 9, 2008, 7:42 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LouDiamond] Visa question for traveling to Spain from US [In reply to] Can't Post

we were looking at Skydive Empuriabravo, Lilo or Sevilla....haven't narrowed it down much. I have been in contact with lilo and empuriabravo.

i have now been informed I need a Spanish Residency card.
does it serve as a visa...or do i still need a visa?
is it hard to obtain a residency card, meaning, do they not give them out to everyone?

so many questions :)

skydiveelis  (D 27824)

Dec 10, 2008, 2:50 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flailmonkey2] Visa question for traveling to Spain from US [In reply to] Can't Post

dude, unless you get sponsor by someone, meaning getting hire by a company and they can get the papers for you, is going to be impossible ! now, your US passport will serve as a Visa but you will not be able to work , I know there are always some exceptions, we have them here in the US(people working under the table) so maybe if you go and talk to them you might be able to get some work but it is very unlikely. Good luck !!

flailmonkey2  (C 35095)

Dec 10, 2008, 8:23 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydiveelis] Visa question for traveling to Spain from US [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the ino. yah i know they have high unemployment like crazy... i did not know if that affected dropzones because of the niche...specialty work etc.

is the resident permit even hard to obtain now?

skydiveelis  (D 27824)

Dec 11, 2008, 3:13 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1265 views)
Shortcut

To get the resident permit you either have to get sponsor by a Company that wil bring you there with all your papers or marry a Spanish Citizen. I think it is really hard to get a working permit but like I said before you might want to talk to some people at the DZ's and find out for yourself .

Premier LouDiamond  (D 25931)
Dec 11, 2008, 7:01 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1256 views)
Shortcut

Here is information from the Spanish Consulate web page on work visas. My friend in Spain tells me it may be a bit more difficult to get a work visa for non EU citizens but he is unsure. He also thinks a few of the places may employ people off of the books. It also sounds like job opportunities at the DZs may be shrinking so have a plan B just in case.

FrenchyDiver  (D 30717)

Dec 11, 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1247 views)
Shortcut

What Elis and Lou said. It is very difficult to get a working permit and an extended visa if you are not sponsored or an EU citizen.
Moreso, be aware that if you stay illegaly (say past your 90 days tourist visa) and/or get caught working illegaly, you are burned and will not be allowed to enter again, not only Spain but all the other EU countries that are members of the Schengen Treaty (see list below). The Schengen treaty means there is no more border posts between these countries. Once you enter one you can go to any of the others without passing through immigration again.
Your choice though.

Spain
Germany
Belgium
France
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Italy
Portugal
Greece
Austria
Denemark
Finland
Sweden
Iceland
Norway
UK
Ireland
Estonia
Latvia
Lituania
Hungary
Poland
Czech Republic
Slovenia
Slovak Republic
Malta
Switzerland

(This post was edited by FrenchyDiver on Dec 11, 2008, 12:06 PM)

flailmonkey2  (C 35095)

Dec 14, 2008, 9:40 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FrenchyDiver] Visa question for traveling to Spain from US [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for all of the info.

ishdaddy  (D 29069)

Mar 2, 2009, 1:04 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1146 views)
Shortcut

I just spoke minutes ago with my family over in Spain (they are coming this month to visit me here in the US) and I asked them about your situation. Some of my family are government employees and they told me that the best think to do is actually from Spain. As soon as you and your husband go to Spain, stop by the USA embassy in Madrid and let them know that you came as a tourist but you were seeing to stay a little longer working to pay your training do not say anything about working just to make money. They will probably give you some info in what to do and what things apply for your situation. As soon as you in you can change very easily your status of work. If I recall good, there is some kind of work permit for 6 years, it is the same one that the other European countries needed to do before we all became Europe.

On the other hand, Spain and USA have different agreements with each other, so it will be no as hard as if you guys were from another country.

I hope this help you. Good luck,

Ish.

surt  (B License)

May 20, 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1029 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I'm spanish, and as far as I know, you don't need a visa to come, but that means you'll come as a tourist.
then... afterwards, to work you'll need a working permit, but the standard way to get it is throw your employeer, so just move here, and do that stuff here
(my english is not very good...)
that means that once someone or some enterprise wants to hire you, they'll do the papers for you (as it is supposed that if they hire you is because they need you in some way and not some other european citizien), after that, then you'll have a working permit in spain, then you can move around and get other works if you want, but only in spain! even if now there are no borders inside the Schengen countries, if you are not a EU citizien, you can not work in other countries of the EU (EU citiziens CAN do that without permit)

feel free to ask more questions... and... if I were you, I would contact ampuria, ocaa, lillo or sevilla first...

dario

Forums : International : Foro de Salto libre

Search for (options)