Jan 8, 2003, 7:33 PM
Post #1 of 19 (1447 views)
Shortcut
USPA Election Counts Can't Post

Available here

Edit: Fixed the link.

-
Jim

(This post was edited by Jimbo on Jan 8, 2003, 8:02 PM)

kallend  (D 23151)

Jan 9, 2003, 6:24 AM
Post #2 of 19 (1360 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jimbo] USPA Election Counts [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it amazing that someone can get elected as a RD with as few as 43 votes, yet to get on the ballot one needs 10% of the members in the region to sign the nomination. Something about this is not right.

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
Jan 9, 2003, 6:35 AM
Post #3 of 19 (1357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jimbo] USPA Election Counts [In reply to] Can't Post

Man, I had 3 votes, and I didn't get on the list! Tongue

wildblue  (D 26027)

Jan 9, 2003, 6:46 AM
Post #4 of 19 (1352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kallend] USPA Election Counts [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Isn't it amazing that someone can get elected as a RD with as few as 43 votes, yet to get on the ballot one needs 10% of the members in the region to sign the nomination. Something about this is not right.

I thought that region didn't have anyone on the ballot.

kallend  (D 23151)

Jan 9, 2003, 7:46 AM
Post #5 of 19 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wildblue] USPA Election Counts [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The rules make it very very difficult for non-incumbents to get on the ballot for RD. What purpose does this serve?

wildblue  (D 26027)

Jan 9, 2003, 7:55 AM
Post #6 of 19 (1338 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

The rules make it very very difficult for non-incumbents to get on the ballot for RD. What purpose does this serve?

You're asking me to make sense of the USPA? Smile No thanks! Just explaining why someone with 43 votes was on there

dreamsville  (D 25528)

Jan 9, 2003, 8:22 AM
Post #7 of 19 (1321 views)
Shortcut

I guess it didn't help that he appeared to have run unchallenged in his region.

Harry

kallend  (D 23151)

Jan 9, 2003, 9:24 AM
Post #8 of 19 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dreamsville] USPA Election Counts [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess it didn't help that he appeared to have run unchallenged in his region.

Harry

They (The RDs) nearly all ran unchallenged. Why? Because it's so freaking difficult to get on the ballot for RD unless you are an incumbent! In Western you would need over 400 signatures on your petition, and over 350 in Southeast. How many RDs received 350 or more votes in the ballot?

If we were overwhelmed with RD candidates I could see the point of the nomination rule. However, that is not the case.

wmw999  (D 6296)

Jan 9, 2003, 10:05 AM
Post #9 of 19 (1288 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Because it's so freaking difficult to get on the ballot for RD unless you are an incumbent

It becomes a real popularity contest. We had someone in the Gulf conference who wanted to run for RD, but had enough bogus signatures given him that he wasn't eligible (and he tried -- I've known him for years).

Might be time to re-think that one. The 10% who actually vote can vote against someone they don't want in the job, rather than making it so they can't get on the ballot in the first place...

Wendy W.

itllclear  (D 6366)

Jan 9, 2003, 9:26 PM
Post #10 of 19 (1223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmw999] USPA Election Counts [In reply to] Can't Post

In the last two elections, the non-incumbent in the Western Region WAS able to get the 10%.

It was a lot of work, but it definitely is possible.

Blue Skies!

Harry Leicher

kallend  (D 23151)

Jan 10, 2003, 8:10 AM
Post #11 of 19 (1195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [itllclear] USPA Election Counts [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In the last two elections, the non-incumbent in the Western Region WAS able to get the 10%.

It was a lot of work, but it definitely is possible.

Blue Skies!

Harry Leicher

Does that mean the policy is right? There were many regions in 2002 with no challengers at all.

markbaur  (D 6108)

Jan 10, 2003, 11:12 AM
Post #12 of 19 (1165 views)
Shortcut

I'm from the region where the incumbent was reelected with 43 votes. There have been challengers to unsuccessfully attempt collecting the 10% necessary to be listed on the ballot, but I don't think they tried a write-in campaign.

I'm happy with the current director because he has the time and interest to visit the many small drop zones in a region 500 miles across, with a short jumping season. He does a good job representing us, and those of us who skydive a lot are grateful he is on the road instead of us.

Mark

Premier quade  (D 22635)
Jan 10, 2003, 1:33 PM
Post #13 of 19 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Actually, what's amazing to me (and this isn't intended to be a dig, but it's going to sound an awful lot like one), is that a DZO couldn't get more than -18- people to vote for him.

Sheesh! I would have thought that ANY DZO would have at least one full otter load worth of folks willing to vote for him.

kallend  (D 23151)

Jan 10, 2003, 1:38 PM
Post #14 of 19 (1139 views)
Shortcut
Re: [quade] USPA Election Counts [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, what's amazing to me (and this isn't intended to be a dig, but it's going to sound an awful lot like one), is that a DZO couldn't get more than -18- people to vote for him.

Sheesh! I would have thought that ANY DZO would have at least one full otter load worth of folks willing to vote for him.

I hope you're kidding. It was 18 more than he asked for. He wasn't a candidate, didn't attempt to solicit write in votes, and encouraged people to vote for others.

Premier quade  (D 22635)
Jan 10, 2003, 2:12 PM
Post #15 of 19 (1128 views)
Shortcut

Ahhh . . . that explains it then.

I wonder how many "Mickey Mouse" got?

RevJim  (C 33989)

Jan 10, 2003, 5:09 PM
Post #16 of 19 (1094 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Yep. That's my home region, North Central. I didn't vote for him, but instead wrote in someone who will probably run next year.

Also, see the votes in the Southwest region? Hey AggieDave, I guess the rumors I have heard about the good doctors popularity down there have at least some truth to them, huh?

markbaur  (D 6108)

Jan 11, 2003, 5:32 AM
Post #17 of 19 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RevJim] USPA Election Counts [In reply to] Can't Post

Drop zones in northern-tier regions like the North Central are typically closed or on winter hours at the time of USPA elections, making it difficult to organize a campaign. I'd like to see elections moved up to September or October.

Rev Jim -- who's your write-in?

Mark

diverdriver  (D 19012)

Jan 11, 2003, 8:55 AM
Post #18 of 19 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [quade] USPA Election Counts [In reply to] Can't Post

Paul, Roger ran on a ONE TERM ONLY platform in the previous election. And true to his word, even though many asked him to run again, he kept his word and did not run as a ND.

Chris

Premier quade  (D 22635)
Jan 11, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #19 of 19 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diverdriver] USPA Election Counts [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm aware of that -- now. Wink

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)